47 Alexander Polushin
48 Tuomas Pihlman
49 Mike Cammalleri

Reactions: klingsor

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Frolov 6'3 said:
Perhaps a weird question but Cammalleri was drafted 49th overall in 2001 and looking through the list of names of that draftyear...what players would you still prefer over Cammalleri ??

1 Ilya Kovalchuk
2 Jason Spezza
3 Alexandr Svitov
4 Stephen Weiss
5 Stanislav Chistov
6 Mikko Koivu
7 Mike Komisarek
9 Tuomo Ruutu
11 Fredrik Sjostrom
12 Dan Hamhuis
14 Chuck Kobasew
17 Carlo Colaiacovo
19 Shaone Morrisonn
20 Marcel Goc
21 Colby Armstrong
24 Lukas Krajicek

Round 2

32 Derek Roy
33 Timofei Shishkanov
40 Fedor Tjutin
43 Doug Lynch

49 Mike Cammalleri

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
nomorekids said:
to add to NMK... guys taken after

57 - jay mcclement
62 - igor grigorenko
99 - ray emery
106 - christian ehrhoff
134 - kyle wellwood
176 - marek zidlicky
189 - pasi nurminen
192 - jussi jokinen
227 - marek svatos
241 - milan jurcina

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
andora said:
to add to NMK... guys taken after

57 - jay mcclement
62 - igor grigorenko
99 - ray emery
106 - christian ehrhoff
134 - kyle wellwood
176 - marek zidlicky
189 - pasi nurminen
192 - jussi jokinen
227 - marek svatos
241 - milan jurcina

I didn't even see Marek Svatos. You can add him to my list. Jussi Jokinen is also someone I'd take a long look at.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think that the best way to summarize what a lot of others are saying is while Cammy seems like a nice talent(and he is), he just doesn't seem to be anything you haven't seen a thousand times before in the AHL, and I'm not certain as to how likely a translation to the NHL is.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
nomorekids said:
I think that the best way to summarize what a lot of others are saying is while Cammy seems like a nice talent(and he is), he just doesn't seem to be anything you haven't seen a thousand times before in the AHL, and I'm not certain as to how likely a translation to the NHL is.

Yeah but he has played and produced to an extent in the NHL. 9 goals and 15 pts in 30 games as a 21 year old is not bad.

To say that someone like Shishkanov is a better prospect than Cammalleri is a major reach, Cammalleri has been a far better player than Shishkanov and alot of these guys at all levels of hockey.

People will continue to say Cammalleri is too small, he'll continue to produce. He was a star in college (lead the CCHA in goals as an 18 year old). he was the leading scorer at the 2002 WJC and he will either be AHL MVP or runner up this season (toss up between him and some scrub named Jason Spezza)

As for the original question. Give me Kovalchuk, Spezza, Ruutu, Hamhuis, Zidlicky. Cammalleri would be somewhere in the next group with Weiss, Hemsky, Gleason, Kobasew, Roy and a few others. Not bad value for the #49 pick.

Last edited:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is a perfect example of prospects on this site. They have one big year and all of a sudden they are phenominal prospects. How many players have you seen have huge years and amount to nothing? Countless numbers. Yes, Cammy has improved his stock with his play this year, but let's not forget that he was playing for a powerhouse team offensively. When he can reproduce these numbers or numbers similar to it consistently then I'll start naming him off as a big time prospect. Until then, he's still an undersized forward that has to prove he can score at the NHL level, not the AHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kritty said:
This is a perfect example of prospects on this site. They have one big year and all of a sudden they are phenominal prospects. How many players have you seen have huge years and amount to nothing? Countless numbers. Yes, Cammy has improved his stock with his play this year, but let's not forget that he was playing for a powerhouse team offensively. When he can reproduce these numbers or numbers similar to it consistently then I'll start naming him off as a big time prospect. Until then, he's still an undersized forward that has to prove he can score at the NHL level, not the AHL.
Take a look at this kids overall stats throughout his hockey carrer and you will see that he's produced everywhere hes played
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=49660
That also includes his world junior performances, where he out did Spezza both times. 4g 2a in the first one and 7g 4a in the 2nd one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->