John Flatters
Pier-Olivier Pelletier
Jean-Phillipe Paquet
Mike Gauthier
Scott Jackson
Marek Bartanus
Kevin Beech
Alexandre Vincent

1. Do you see anyone getting picked from that list?
2. Is Kevin Beech related to Kris?

jcoldwell

Aug 11, 2004
You can also add Dragan Umicevic and Josef Hrabel to the list of players re-entering the 2007 draft.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
I would be glad if the wings again used a late pick on May. I like him and would love him to stay in the organisation. But I bet he'll be taken by somebody. He is a hard working defensive Defenseman with physical side and some offensive upside from what I hear. He was just a dip away from being signed. He developed nicely and fell to the numbers game generally. They had their priorities and signed Grigorenko, Ryno and Ritola. I guess it was a coin toss between Ritola and May.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The NHL has ruled that A.J. Thelen is an unrestricted free agent, and as such will not be eligible to be drafted.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209570&hubname=nhl

Has there been a final ruling on AJ Thelen? The TSN link is contradicted by other reports that the NHL told the Wild their interpretation was Thelen would go back into the draft.

The expectation was Bettman would need to make a ruling and then Thelen appeal if it goes against him, but I've yet to see any links indicating the NHL has issued that ruling. And there's that whole draft thingie coming up shortly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Isn't Umicevic too old?

The new CBA has several changes. Not being sure on Umicevic, let's look at the CBA:

CBA Article 8.4 Entry Draft - Eligibility for Claim said:
8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent pursuant to this Agreement;

(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and

(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

(a) Eligible unless a yes below:

(i) No - not on reserve list.

(ii) No - not claimed in two prior drafts.

(iii) No - hasn't previously played in NHL.

(iv) No - he was selected in a previous entry draft

(v) No - he was selected in a previous entry draft.

ergo: Eligible for being drafted.

Next, checking out the Van Ryn "loophole". i.e. Eligable to play in the NHL but the property of any team.

CBA Article 8.9 Eligibility for Play in the league said:
8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:

(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL tryout form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean "a full season prior to the last Entry Draft."

(a) Yes, he is eligable to play in the league. Skip the rest of the rules.

Conclusion: He can play in the league, but is eligible for the draft. I assume the NHL bylaws block teams from signing UFA's that aren't already on their reserve list during the current period until the July 1st so no one is allowed to sign him before going back into the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->