Players Who Hurt Their Teams/Their Legacies By Not Retiring/Ending Their Careers Sooner

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Jim MacDonald, Mar 22, 2018.

1. brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos Registered User

It seemed me that he can still skate, and like you mentioned, his numbers were decent. A nomadic mercenary in his later years who's style wasn't being coached anymore, Coffey wasn't a system kind of player, and as the rink seemed to get smaller he wasn't able to play his game as well. A victim of mileage and a new NHL era.

2. cheveldae

cheveldae Registered User

Brodeur. I mean yea his final NJD season wasn't great, but that circus show he went through before signing with the Blues and then doing terribly? Yeesh

jiboy, IslesFan2017 and The Pale King like this.
  3. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Gaborik was a 40-goal scoring 2nd team NHL all-star as a 30 year old after his 11th season. If he had retired then, he'd be mentioned as HHOF caliber in the same breathe as a Ziggy Palffy.

Instead, he has spent the last six seasons in his thirties limping around the league playing part seasons on injury after injury. Just retire already!

[​IMG]

4. VanIslander

VanIslander Don't waste my time

Bobby Holik was a well-respected player most often praised and after 12 years ought to have retired and been remembered in a shining light.

But of course in the modern NHL there's millions to be made in one's thirties, so he took a massive contract and stunk up the NYR because at the money he signed at he was expected to be a top-6 player offensively, which he never was. He's an all-time great 3rd line center, not a go-to pivot offensively.

The last half dozen years of his career ended up disappointment after disappoint, with criticisms and rolled eyes by many when the name "Holik" came up in conversation.

Bobby should have started doing this after his 12th season:

[​IMG]
    Yeah, that's Holik, stopping the only Ducks he could in his thirties.

Jim MacDonald and Killion like this.
  5. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Lindros had a wrist injury in 2006 and it limited him to 33 games. He just was not himself anymore in a Leafs uniform. The classic case of being a shadow of his former self.

As for the first season as a Ranger, yeah the points were there, but it was one of those years like Yashin in 2001, statistically it looks alright, but that was not Eric Lindros anymore. He turned into what I would call almost a "perimeter" type of player - at least from what we were used to - compared to what he was. He did hammer Joe Thornton pretty good later on in that fight, but he was not the same player anymore, there wasn't that fear of him. Kariya had the same fate in Nashville and I will say even post-Suter hit seasons after 1998. Something was "off" about him, but by Nashville he was just different. Perimeter player again. Good points wise, not bad, but not Paul Kariya.

6. Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge Captain Beefheart

Old Boot Nose here in Buffalo....

boot nose.png

7. Terry Yake

Terry Yake Registered User

i completely forgot gaborik was still playing until the kings traded him

he should have retired after winning a cup in 14

8. GMR

GMR Registered User

Air Raid Warden
    The best example I can think of in sports of a player who tarnished his legacy by playing too long, is Brett Favre. I don't think anyone in the NHL rises to that level of embarrassment.

Chief Nine likes this.
  9. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald Registered User

*nodding head* I didn't know or forgot about a friendly fire injury with John Leclair......interesting.

10. Jim MacDonald

I think you'll dig this Chris, in a Yzerman biography I have, Errey was in their quite a bit because he was Stevie Y's linemate in Peterborough (and later on in Detroit of course). The book brings up Trottier as an example in a very positive light when it comes to doing whatever it takes to win. With Trotts, by the time he arrived in Pittsburgh, his days as an offensive/scoring type player were over, and he knew it, but because he was good on defense he extended his career and won a couple more championships, knowing his role. Errey-"Trottier was a guy who knew how to fit in."

11. Jim MacDonald

This is a very solid comment.

12. Jim MacDonald

That statement there is REALLY the essence of the second part of my OP/inquiry.....that's so crazy!!

13. LeTigre

LeTigre Registered User

Yeah, it really goes to show that sentimentality can drastically affect team performance if the organization allows it to.

When Phillips' 17 minutes a night were subtracted from the roster in early February of 2015, the Senators went on a 23-5-4 run to squeak into the playoffs. With a 3rd string goalie between the pipes.

14. The Roy Of Ottawa

The Roy Of Ottawa HOCKEY HALL OF FAME

New Jersey, St. Louis, or whoever should have let Brodeur keep on playing until he got his 700th win! Some things are more important than making the playoffs. St. Louis made the playoffs by the way that year after letting Brodeur go and forcing him to retire with 691 wins! He wanted that 700!

15. sharkhawk

sharkhawk Registered User

I don’t know if it tarnished his legacy, but seeing chelios playing with the wolves and thrashers was almost painful. Same with Roenick on the sharks. As for other sports Michael Jordan should have stayed off the wizards

Jim MacDonald likes this.
  16. Terry Yake

Terry Yake Registered User

guy threw 33 TDs with only 7 picks in 09 and his team got to the NFC title game

if anything, he should have just retired after that season

ecemleafs likes this.
  17. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

It was that whole circus with Favre post-Packers. He spent a terrible season with the Jets in 2008. But had an MVP caliber year in 2009 with the Vikings followed by his final mediocre year in 2010. I think if he retired after 2007 and been remembered as solely a Packer (ignoring the fact his brief time after being drafted by the Falcons) then we'd be talking about him in a greater sense. However, the last play he ever did as a Packer was throw an interception in the NFC championship game.

18. beukeboom

beukeboom Registered User

I think Jagr has become a bit underrated in a historical perspective due to him playing for so long. He would be deemed as more of an equal to Crosby if he had retired when he went to KHL. I do think this is something that will fade. Many players tend to be a bit underrated at the end of their carreers, since by then others beat them. Ten-fifteen years after retirement that is forgotten and their peak is yet again remembered.

Edit: I do think Crosby is in a higher tier btw. But still, 5 Arts for Jagr feel a bit forgotten today when talking about the greats. He is more revered for being ever lasting then his prime atm.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  19. LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75 Registered User

It was a shame he couldn't have had a better run with the Leafs. I remember going to the Leafs season opener that year and when Lindros scored late in the 3rd period to give Toronto a very short 2-1 lead the ACC went crazy and I couldn't remember it ever being that loud when his goal was being announced. Plus when Sundin was hurt after getting a puck deflected into his face, Lindros went on a tear of offense and the thought was his injuries were finally behind him.

20. Monsieur Gustave H

Monsieur Gustave H Coming Home

Marty McSorley.

21. Regal

Regal Registered User

I tend to think Jagr did more for his legacy since returning in terms of being a likeable mentor type as opposed to the moody malcontent he tended to be seen as in the early 2000s. Prime Jagr was considered by many the type of player who could put up huge totals but wasn't an ideal franchise player to lead you to the cup. I think that's died down now. Though that might just be time

Hagstrom and Hockey Outsider like this.
  22. Sanf

Sanf Registered User

First names that came to my mind. When he came to Finland in the lockout season he said when asked if he still would go back to NHL...

There is no real reason for me to go back. ...
    I have no enthusiasm, no drive to go back because i´ve done everything I wanted to there in the NHL.

That interview can actually be found in Youtube. Some can think that he was just being polite now playing in Europe, but he did seem sincere. He did seem to lose his step and also the passion...

23. ForsbergForever

ForsbergForever Red Rocket

Maybe to a lesser extent than some but I feel like Chris Chelios should have retired in 2008 after winning the Cup with Detroit. He was 46 years old and had been a healthy scratch in the finals which should have been a sign that it was time to call it a career. Instead he comes back for another year with Detroit but only suits up for 28 regular season games before signing in the AHL and making a late season cameo with the Atlanta Thrashers. I think he should have gone the Mike Keane/Eric Weinrich route if he really wanted to keep playing and gone directly to the AHL after 2008 so he could play at a level where he could still be an impact player to some extent.

24. MXD

MXD James St. John Smythe

Dead
    Very obviously, Alex Kovalev.

25. MXD

MXD James St. John Smythe

Dead
    TBH, that didn't have anything to do with his on-field performance, which was still pretty decent. He just obviously tried to perform too much off the field.