players stuck in the AHL .NHLPA needs to adress this

gerrythegreat

Jul 26, 2005
I m not sure that this is a widespread problem but I feel it needs to be adressed.

Dan Mcgillis signed a 4 million for 2 year contract last year and because of the devils cap problems when Elias returned, he was sent to the minors. Now some might argue that his poor play didnt help things but lets face it , most big defencemen had problems in the first half of the season (ie Pronger).

Now 1 year later he stands to be left in the minors again because the devils cant fit him in their cap. I have heard from a good source that they dont want to buy him out and cant seem to trade him. It's a shame that a player who deserves to play in the NHL will probably end up in the A and might finish his carreer there cause of the cap.

any thoughts?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I m not sure that this is a widespread problem but I feel it needs to be adressed.

Dan Mcgillis signed a 4 million for 2 year contract last year and because of the devils cap problems when Elias returned, he was sent to the minors. Now some might argue that his poor play didnt help things but lets face it , most big defencemen had problems in the first half of the season (ie Pronger).

Now 1 year later he stands to be left in the minors again because the devils cant fit him in their cap. I have heard from a good source that they dont want to buy him out and cant seem to trade him. It's a shame that a player who deserves to play in the NHL will probably end up in the A and might finish his carreer there cause of the cap.

any thoughts?

He wasn't sent down because of the cap. He was sent down becasue of his play. He was originally sen tdown last year in November I believe well before Elias came back.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him he is still getting his money and is stil playing.

gerrythegreat

Jul 26, 2005
He wasn't sent down because of the cap. He was sent down becasue of his play. He was originally sen tdown last year in November I believe well before Elias came back.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him he is still getting his money and is stil playing.

I know for a fact that he would much prefer to play in the nhl for less then play in the ahl. He might not have been sent cause of the cap but he wasnt called back cause of it and he wont make the team this year cause of it either.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The NHL already addressed the issue of AHL salaries when they amended the maximum AHL salaries for the purpose of recall waivers. The NHLPA had a *much* bigger beef about that then they do McGillis being "stuck in the AHL" - there, players had a chance to make more $ in the NHL but couldn't. Here, McGillis is collecting his $2.2M salary even if he gets assigned to El Paso in the CHL, so the NHLPA isn't going to care since their guy is getting paid his money regardless of where he plays.

If McGillis wants to play in the NHL, he needs to talk to the Devils about moving him to another team.

gerrythegreat

Jul 26, 2005
Now 1 year later he stands to be left in the minors again because the devils cant fit him in their cap. I have heard from a good source that they dont want to buy him out and cant seem to trade him

I m not trying to make him pass like he deserves pity from anyone, all i am saying is that it might be a new reality with the new nhl and that it should be adressed.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
If a team wants him, they can claim him on waivers. And he'll still be drawing his $2.2M the entire time, either way. I don't know what else he could really ask for? Would players rather have owners be allowed to tear up their contracts? Maybe he wishes he had signed for less? :dunno:

gooseman

The NHL already addressed the issue of AHL salaries when they amended the maximum AHL salaries for the purpose of recall waivers. The NHLPA had a *much* bigger beef about that then they do McGillis being "stuck in the AHL" - there, players had a chance to make more $ in the NHL but couldn't. Here, McGillis is collecting his $2.2M salary even if he gets assigned to El Paso in the CHL, so the NHLPA isn't going to care since their guy is getting paid his money regardless of where he plays.

If McGillis wants to play in the NHL, he needs to talk to the Devils about moving him to another team.

I would go even further, if any other team had wanted him, they could have easily had him when he had to clear waivers to be sent down. I am sure that Lou is not enjoying paying him that money to eat up minutes in the minors and would give him real cheap to anyone who would take him, but there are no offers. Now if the Devils recall him, someone may grab him with NJ picking up half the price.

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
If he feels stuck, all he has to do is sign another contract for less money. I highly doubt the Devils would deny his request to tear up his $2.2 million dollar deal and re-sign for considerably less. It is the Devils who are stuck with paying him, not McGillis stuck in the minors. If it means that much to him (more than the money) he can simply agree to play for free, and I'm sure someone would pick him up.

Don't feel bad for Dan McGillis - he is getting his money.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
If he feels stuck, all he has to do is sign another contract for less money. I highly doubt the Devils would deny his request to tear up his $2.2 million dollar deal and re-sign for considerably less. It is the Devils who are stuck with paying him, not McGillis stuck in the minors. If it means that much to him (more than the money) he can simply agree to play for free, and I'm sure someone would pick him up.

Don't feel bad for Dan McGillis - he is getting his money.

I don't believe renegotiations like that are allowed under the new CBA. The only way a player can get out of a contract is if the team buys him out.

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
wow, I'm suprised no one has mentioned the biggest name that Lou bent over. Mogilny's career has been ruined because of him. The first Russian to defect deserves more than anyone to be the first Russian to play 1000 games. It's a shame to see it end like this for him. Though hopefully NJ will have to trade Gomez and Gionta and Lou'll get his karma.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I find it funny that Lou is treating Almo as badly as he is, and if it weren't for Almo, New Jersey wouldn't have half their drafts picks they had this year coming to them.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
wow, I'm suprised no one has mentioned the biggest name that Lou bent over. Mogilny's career has been ruined because of him. The first Russian to defect deserves more than anyone to be the first Russian to play 1000 games. It's a shame to see it end like this for him. Though hopefully NJ will have to trade Gomez and Gionta and Lou'll get his karma.

The Devils won't have to trade both. Only one of the higher priced players will be going.

And McGillis sucks.

Lou is expecting Mogilny to show for camp in September, so he is giving him another chance. Hopefully he doesn't play like **** and have a bad attitude this time around.

gerrythegreat

Jul 26, 2005
I thought this was in the business of hockey section not the Mcgillis sucks section. I was trying to start a topic on the hidden problems with the cap.

Some of you seem to think that a player can negociate a contract (while under contract) with another team for less. Come on guys. I know he was put on waivers a first time, i agree he was struggling at the beginning of the season but that is not the topic of discussion here. If Lou had put him on waivers a second time he would of gotten picked up.

I m sorry I wasnt clear on the topic at hand.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I thought this was in the business of hockey section not the Mcgillis sucks section. I was trying to start a topic on the hidden problems with the cap.

Some of you seem to think that a player can negociate a contract (while under contract) with another team for less. Come on guys. I know he was put on waivers a first time, i agree he was struggling at the beginning of the season but that is not the topic of discussion here. If Lou had put him on waivers a second time he would of gotten picked up.

I think most of us understand (minus the one poster that made the incorrect statement) that contracts cannot be restructured.

Still, it is hard to have this discussion and not discuss McGillis' play last season, including his time with Albany. While I respect McGillis for reporting to the AHL and playing the season out (of course, he was making $2.2M by reporting), I heard his play in Albany was unimpressive. I am sure some of that had to do with motivation, but his play in Albany was his opportunity to prove to another NHL team it was worth taking a chance on him.

I don't agree with your statement that if he had been placed on waivers a second time he would have been claimed last season. If that was the case, Lamoriello would have done so as there was no benefit to having him playing in Albany for 2.2M. The issue was his play combined with his salary and the second year on his contract. Also, f you are so confident he would have been picked up on waivers a second time, then you should be confident he will be claimed on waivers if he is sent down this season since this is the last year of the contract. Or are you referring to the re-entry waivers where the salary is split 50/50? I am not even sure a team would pick up McGillis via the re-entry rules at the cost of 1.1M, but I agree it is more likely than at 2.2M.

The issue is that McGillis chose to sign a two year contract for the money and term and has to live with the consequences within the structure of the CBA. I understand why he would likely want a buyout, but there are cap hits for the team with a buyout that don't exist if they demote him to the AHL (a different situation than with Mogilny, because of the 35+ multi-year contract rule). His way out of this situation is to earn a roster spot with NJ or prove during training camp/preseason that he can contribute at the NHL level for another team (that is willing to take that gamble for 2.2M).

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

You said in your original post that the reason he got sent down was cap-related, which really isn't true. The fact that McGillis sucks has everything to do with disputing your premise. He was terrible with the Devils, and wasn't much better in Albany.

And reiterating what sk84 said, if Lou could put him on waivers and have his $2.2M claimed, he would. On top of having to pay McGillis, his salary counts during the offseason since it's a one-way deal, which inches the Devils closer to the $48.4M offseason limit. If there was a feasible way of ridding of McGillis, it would be done.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
You said in your original post that the reason he got sent down was cap-related, which really isn't true. The fact that McGillis sucks has everything to do with disputing your premise. He was terrible with the Devils, and wasn't much better in Albany.

And reiterating what sk84 said, if Lou could put him on waivers and have his $2.2M claimed, he would. On top of having to pay McGillis, his salary counts during the offseason since it's a one-way deal, which inches the Devils closer to the $48.4M offseason limit. If there was a feasible way of ridding of McGillis, it would be done.
Actually Lou can try waiving him again - not that it would likely help. There are no recall waivers in the offseason, so he could be recalled and then waived again after the start of the regular "Playing Season Waiver Period" - starting 12 days before the start of the regular season.

The other mechanism that could have freed McGillis (assuming anyone wanted him) was the Waiver Draft, but that has been done away with in the new CBA.

ZadorovNJD*

If they belonged in the NHL with their current contracts one of the 29 other GM's would have grabbed them for free.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
KDB has a point - he can be placed on waivers in late September and any team can pick him up. If he has even a decent camp, he couild stay with SOMEONE in the AHL. A team well under the cap could be looking for an experienced defenseman.

This could also be addressed before the next CBA if the sides are amenable - after all, they tweaked the salary structure for the minor leaguers. Maybe they could make a clause that anyone under a 7-figure contract who is sent to the AHL in one season can be released at season's end without the salary counting against the cap the following season?

You might've made your point better if you'd used Mogilny (a cap casualty) instead of McGillis (a talent casualty). I've gotta admit, though, it's tough to work up a case of pity for any of these guys.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Actually Lou can try waiving him again - not that it would likely help. There are no recall waivers in the offseason, so he could be recalled and then waived again after the start of the regular "Playing Season Waiver Period" - starting 12 days before the start of the regular season.

The other mechanism that could have freed McGillis (assuming anyone wanted him) was the Waiver Draft, but that has been done away with in the new CBA.

Why would we need to recall him in the first place though? If he were assigned to the AHL after training camp, wouldn't he have to clear waivers then?

cyanide

Well, it's definitely a sympton of the cap.
but maybe it's not such a bad thing, where players have to fight to keep their jobs.

Look at Peca. He knew he played like crap for most of last year and was willing to take a hefty pay-cut to prove himself this year.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Whether this has a place in this forum or not is questionable to begin with - but I'm allowing it because it potentially raises CBA-related issues ... though whether or not assigning a player on a 1-way contract to the minors is a "hidden problem with the cap" is open to debate.

I'm thinking since the NHLPA signed off on this, they couldn't have seen the possibility of it happening as that big of a deal to begin with. (Of course, the league's GM's are finding out the CBA isn't all roses for them either - but that's all discussion for another thread.) I think there were at least 7 players who had 1-way contracts and were sent to the minors last season (McGillis, Mogilny, Malakhov, Lalime, Wright, McEachern, and Green, plus Cassels and Andreychuk were waived but not assigned). Out of 600+ players.

I'm not seeing a huge problem spiraling out of control, much less symptoms that it could be imminent.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
kdb209 said:

Why would we need to recall him in the first place though? If he were assigned to the AHL after training camp, wouldn't he have to clear waivers then?
He was loaned to the AHL club last season and was on the AHL Roster (not the Active NHL one) at the end of the season. Until he is recalled back to the NHL team, he is still on loan to the AHL. To send him back down, in order to expose him to waivers, he would have to be recalled back to the NHL roster and then waived again during training camp. He would not be subject to recall waivers if called back up during the offseason - recall waivers are only needed during the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad