Players ratify CBA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
And this part of the TSN story is interesting:

Things got heated at times during the meeting Wednesday night. Veteran Toronto tough guy Tie Domi, for one, confronted Sean Avery of the Kings for being critical of the union leadership earlier this month. Domi was also angry with Detroit Red Wings goalie Manny Legace, who slammed the union negotiators last month.

"This deal is going to benefit guys like Sean Avery and Manny Legace - who wasn't here," Domi said before leaving Thursday. "It's easy to knock things, especially when things are getting settled, and that's the only thing I had an issue with.

"Speak your mind but don't do it when you haven't even played 100 games in the league. It just wasn't the time for any of those guys to speak up. If Manny Legace had some issues, where was he last night to speak about it? I give Sean Avery credit for being here.

"Manny Legace? I didn't know him, the only thing I knew about him was that he played 10 games when Dominik Hasek played 72 and they won a Stanley Cup. All of a sudden (Legace) is in the headlines for something he said."

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Otter said:
There was an article on MSG long before Eklund announced the agreement in principal. I either saw the thread pointing it out on here or on the Caps official board. Either way, Eklund was not the first to report it.

- Bob M. was following the story all through the night, he kept people aware of it...
- Stan Fischler was the first one (9am?) to say that the deal is done.. but he did mention that there was still some days of writing up, so most people shrugged it off as another 2 days thing
- Newsday came out with an article (10-12?) which said the NHLPA Execs had signed off on the deal
- Kypreos came on the Fan 590 and confirmed it a little bit after Newsday Reported it
- NHLPA released their 3 line press release, and put it up on their website

I am Jack's Fish

Press conference at 4:00
----
The National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) will hold a media conference today at 4:00 p.m. following the outcome of the players’ ratification vote on a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA).

Sanman19

Jun 28, 2005
New Jersey
Stan Fischler's article that day the deal was going to done THAT day. I think the article was posted on the MSG website at 6:00 AM, let me check my cookies

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Patrick said:
Does anybody remember if they announced the percentage of yes and no votes in 94? It would be interesting to see how many players voted no.

They never announced percentages in 1994. Just a majority of players voted yes, and when broken down by team, a majority on all teams voted yes.

Can we please can the anti-Ek talk? It's getting tiresome, and it's threadcrapping. And no, I'm not a fan, never visited his site.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
to clarify....I've been talking about the ratification. I missed the agreement in principle post....thought we were talking on who was first to announce the ratification. Eklund definitely was not the first to report the agreement in principle. I agree that the first place I saw that was on MSG (stumbled on it actually).

Oops. That's twice today I didn't properly read something.

Hockey_Nut99

tantalum said:
to clarify....I've been talking about the ratification. I missed the agreement in principle post....thought we were talking on who was first to announce the ratification. Eklund definitely was not the first to report the agreement in principle. I agree that the first place I saw that was on MSG (stumbled on it actually).

Oops. That's twice today I didn't properly read something.

I'm sorry I misunderstood too. I meant between Sportsnet, TSN, and eklund. Specifically TSN and eklund. I should have been more specific. So it was MSG. What's the address to that site?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
DJAnimosity said:
Glad to see Bryan McCabe following through on his promise...he's certainly a man of his word. :biglaugh:
"Everyone wants to play hockey, that's the bottom line," said Toronto defenceman Bryan McCabe. "Coming out of this a lot of damage has been done and both sides have to start repairing it."
By the time McCabe is living his next life, NHL hockey should be repaired and ready for him.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
DJAnimosity said:
Glad to see Bryan McCabe following through on his promise...he's certainly a man of his word. :biglaugh:

people talk like mccabe was the only one who said he wouldnt play under a cap.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Deebo said:
people talk like mccabe was the only one who said he wouldnt play under a cap.

He was the only one dumb enough to say that he "would sit out for the rest of his life", though. A quote that dumb can't be easily forgotten.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
FlyersProspect2 said:
I wish they would publish a list of players that voted no so all of us at HFboards could personally ***** slap them. :D

I'd love to see one of us message board geeks try and lay a hand on one of them. Half of us would ask for autographs, a quarter would just stare, and the other quarter would claim "I was behind you 100%, all along!".

CHareth

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

Quote:
Things got heated at times during the meeting Wednesday night. Veteran Toronto tough guy Tie Domi, for one, confronted Sean Avery of the Kings for being critical of the union leadership earlier this month. Domi was also angry with Detroit Red Wings goalie Manny Legace, who slammed the union negotiators last month.

"This deal is going to benefit guys like Sean Avery and Manny Legace - who wasn't here," Domi said before leaving Thursday. "It's easy to knock things, especially when things are getting settled, and that's the only thing I had an issue with.

"Speak your mind but don't do it when you haven't even played 100 games in the league. It just wasn't the time for any of those guys to speak up. If Manny Legace had some issues, where was he last night to speak about it? I give Sean Avery credit for being here.

"Manny Legace? I didn't know him, the only thing I knew about him was that he played 10 games when Dominik Hasek played 72 and they won a Stanley Cup. All of a sudden (Legace) is in the headlines for something he said."
Funny that Tie Domi is in the headlines far more often for the "wrong" reasons too, rather than for his Stanley Cup heroics. Well done with the hypocrisy Mr. Domi, especially after you yourself told the media in May that "egos" on both sides were getting in the way and suggested that the leaders (including your own union boss) should be replaced. I just wish ALL of these players would shut the hell up already for their own sake. They just keep embarrassing themselves.

Moon Man*

cybresabre said:
hey nj, will the press conference be cybercast on tsn.ca with bob and gary?

:propeller The posts never showed up for me until now. I didn't even get the 60 second apology... and now I can't even delete them. Some kind of glitch.

EDIT: Taken care of.

and just as a reminder, TSN.ca will be featuring a cyb... ah screw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
CaptainShark said:
From Eklund

Players Ratify CBA
According to a source, the players have reached the majority of votes needed to ratify the CBA as of Noon ET. There have been a few players voting it down out of principle, but that is a very small minority...The official tally will not be out until the polls close for the Europeans at 3pm. But at this point hockey has passed its final hurdle...The Board Of Governors will ratify the CBA tomorrow morning.

Great, Now I cant wait for Sept. Drop the puck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad