Players own League - funded by former NY mayor Rudy Giuliani?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Schlep Rock said:
If they can sign on 10 investment firms to pump in $500 million each, it's possible.

Rumor is Giuliani's company already has been shopping a proposal around to investment bankers.

What investment firm in its right mind would invest $500 million in something as moribund as professional hockey?
And given the NHL's lack of success on Fox, thinking that Rupert Murdoch would invest heaviliy in the sport again is wishful at best.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I'm all for trying things as you say but when you speak of calculated risks, I see more risk than calculation. One word; Nashville.

Even in Bettman's attempts to fix the game, his lack of knowledge is evident. He is without fundamental understanding and is clearly charging for the quick fix. I refuse to apologize for my traditionalist view but bigger nets are not the answer! Nor was expanding to the Sun Belt.

What more can a guy ask for than receiving a job where his company is at the peak of it's popularity, all-time? The sad part of this entire thing is, he's going to have a job for the next four years at least...especially if the NHL comes out a huge winner in the CBA deal. It's like Sather in New York saving his own hide by rebuilding at the last minute. It was nothing but "Jagr deals" until March 1st, 2005. Bettman is a "Jagr deal" type of guy, in my opinion.

Just get rid of him.

Last edited:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
CarlRacki said:
What investment firm in its right mind would invest $500 million in something as moribund as professional hockey?
And given the NHL's lack of success on Fox, thinking that Rupert Murdoch would invest heaviliy in the sport again is wishful at best.
the nhl could be considered an undervalued asset - buy low sell high

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
CarlRacki said:
The NHL is not hockey. Hockey is not the NHL. The NHL's brand of hockey may have performed poorly, but that doesn't mean the sport of hockey will always perform poorly.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
As was the WHA (failed), the "Player Superstar Tour" (barely even a crowd). There will not be a rival to the NHL, it's been proven time and time again.

It's also been proven that while people cheer for the players, they are cheering for the players in their favorite Jersey. The Oklahoma Wombats can have some good players, but will never be as popular as the Detroit Red Wings

If the players were to exit the NHL on mass, it could happen, as the WHA survive for several season with only a few NHL stars jumping ship. If the NHLPA did in fact support the move, and all players jumped, the NHL would be history.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Mighty Duck said:
. If the NHLPA did in fact support the move, and all players jumped, the NHL would be history.

So would the days of 700 guys making an average income of over US$1m each to play a sport that is neck-and-neck with bowling and poker for popularity.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ziggy Stardust said:
If there is anyone or any group out there foolish enough to invest $5B in such a league, I hope that they are prepared to take a hard hit in the wallet. They better watch some XFL games before thinking of such radical ideas.

I hope none of my retirement money is tied up in it. :propeller

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Timmy said:
So would the days of 700 guys making an average income of over US$1m each to play a sport that is neck-and-neck with bowling and poker for popularity.
thats why i say the nhl is an undervalued asset - others could get in cheap - they see the game has been run into the ground

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
mr gib said:
thats why i say the nhl is an undervalued asset - others could get in cheap - they see the game has been run into the ground

...well, I suppose.

I mean, if the new owners could do something about player costs...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
mr gib said:
they must think they can

So this $5billion is confirmed?

If you could get the names of any public companies that are putting up half a billion as their share, I'd appreciate it.

Preferably by the time the markets open tomorrow morning. :)

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Timmy said:
So this $5billion is confirmed?

If you could get the names of any public companies that are putting up half a billion as their share, I'd appreciate it.

Preferably by the time the markets open tomorrow morning. :)
fun to debate but will it get off the ground - who know's

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Mighty Duck said:
If the players were to exit the NHL on mass, it could happen, as the WHA survive for several season with only a few NHL stars jumping ship. If the NHLPA did in fact support the move, and all players jumped, the NHL would be history.

The WHA was not valuing itself higher than the NHL. You put in $5B then the only way to make money on that is to completely wipeout the NHL and take 100% of its market, then crush the players salaries and make big profits. If they forced the NHL to drop 10-14 or so weak teams, then the NHL would just be stronger and they'd be in an even worse position: $5B worth of slightly better AHL teams.

This new group, with no money ($0 real investment) is going to have to take all of the big markets from the NHL. They can't beat the NHL with teams in Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec, Los Vegas etc. A successful league with 20 teams in weak markets, might just be worth $1B-$2B. Not a great return from the supposed $5B input. Now if they start losing money in direct competition to the NHL, well they could be worth less than the current version WHA in 2 years.

Glad its not my money.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Imagine Rudy as Commissioner and Al Sharpton as the head of the PA, now wouldn't that be fun!

GSC2k2*

mr gib said:
and marketing and tv and ... ps i'm saying i'm for it but the league has left itself open for a hostile takeover
Um, you're not serious, right? ;)

GSC2k2*

Schlep Rock said:
An NHLPA organized league is a long shot but don't laugh at $500 million per firm... I've seen venture capital firms put that or more in companies that you'd never imagine them getting involved in and bam, there you go!

It's a long shot but let's not laugh it off right away.
Name one.

GSC2k2*

habfan4 said:
Finding 10 firms to cough up a half billion each on what has been a losing venture would not be not impossible, but it's certainly not a slam dunk either.
You are wrong. It is impossible. Not many companies have that amount of liquid assets sitting around doing nothing.

While I am loather to quote any pro-player hardliner, I laughed at Nick Kypreos' quote today:

"When cows fly".

GSC2k2*

gc2005 said:
Everyone in this thread has leapt to the conclusion that this is the players' doing, that they're trying to start up their own league to somehow screw the NHL, and everyone's all geared up to laugh at the players when this thing doesn't get off the ground thinking it will be the players' failure. That is simply not the case.

Involved can mean organizing the whole damn thing and actually working to make it become a reality. That's not the players, but that's what everyone is either believing or is trying to convince others is happening.

Involved can also mean someone came to the PA and gave them the 71-page business plan, and they read it.
I love how people here scrutinize and parse the words of sports stories like they are reading the Bible itself.

Guess what, boys? Sportswriters don't sit around ruminating " Hmm, should i use the word 'considering' or 'involved' or organizing'?" They are banging away on their laptops churning out a story.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
As time goes on, the NHL offers get worse, but the outside offers get better. Bains offer gets better. Now there is a hint there there could be a competing offer.

It has become conventional wisdom that expansion was a problem. the owners have threatened it, the players have said it might be a good idea - contraction. One of the reasons is that the owners wont equally share all their revenues or pay to contract.

I remember Saskin saying, if the owners want to talk about revenue sharing along the lines of the NFL model, then they would be very receptive to a centralized cap deal. But how can the current set-up of owners do that? They cant. If an outside party buy the league, they first off provide the money to pay out contraction, and 2nd get to create a business model where they can share all revenues

I also dont see this as a players own league. Sooner or later the current owners will get a price that will cause them to think like businessmen. And they and their commisioner were the problem. And as the offers increase, it sounds like the owners ears are being perked

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
When you look at it, this league would face some serious hurdles in trying to build credibility. Sure you could have some big names in finance and media to go alongside the players, but without access into some of the major TV markets, you might as well give up if you really want to be a rival to the NHL.

You have to have teams in NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Detroit. But where would these teams play?

NYC--?
Chicago--Allstate Arena?
Los Angeles--Great Western Forum?
Toronto--Skydome?
Montreal--?
Boston--Worchester? Hartford?
Atlanta--Arena @ Gwinnett Center?
Philadelphia--?
Dallas--Reunion Arena?
S.F./Oakland: Oakland Arena? Cow Palace?
Washington D.C.--1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore?
Detroit--Cobo Arena? (No way in hell they could use the Palace @ Auburn Hills)

Some markets (current NHL and potential rival league cities) would be easy in which to put a team into an arena:

Miami--Miami Arena
Portland, OR--Rose Garden
Kansas City--Kemper Arena
Phoenix--America West Arena
Milwaukee--Bradley Center or US Cellular Arena
Cleveland--Gund Arena
Indianapolis--Conseco Fieldhouse
Minneapolis--Target Center
Winnipeg--Winnipeg Arena
Vancouver--Pacific Coliseum
San Antonio--SBC Center
Houston--Toyota Center
Salt Lake City--Delta Center or The E Center

I doubt this league will get to far past the rumor stage, as the entire lockout has been nothing more than a hotbed of rumors interrupted by soundbites.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I can't take it seriously. One Murdoch vs 30 lesser Murdochs. "Pro-deal" players stay with the NHL. Virtually zero good hockey markets with decent arenas to start up. In the wake of failed efforts with OSHL and the WHA ....

$5 billion needed for start up when $4.3 billion is getting warm to buy an established league ? Doesn't make sense. After Levitt's remarks and others that they wouldn't invest in hockey ..

This seems like a pipe dream with some funny stuff in the pipe.

And the marketing survey of hockey fans says :
There are better ways for Mr. Murdoch to invest his money link

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Wow, this sounds fabulous, as I happen to know two burgeoning pro hockey executives in need of employment. Both are heavily experienced at organizing hockey tournaments, have table hockey skills and they make an excellent team. They also share bunkbeds and get along well with others.

To those with the five billion dollars, I truly feel that my best friend / business partner / hockey idol and myself are the men to help you make your league the most fantastic ever!!

Serious executives may check out our resumes at Bob'nBucky.com

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Here's an interesting thought for everyone saying "BUT where would they play in toronto lol"...

Why does Canada even need to be involved in a future new league at all?

Okay, it's a Canadian game, of course... the Canadian game. But they don't need the Canadian market to survive. We all laugh at a team like the Oklahoma Raccoons or what have you, but there was an NHL team there once upon a time.

I could easily see a US firm or businessperson saying "Screw Canada... pandering to their market and their version of the game and their currency rate makes no business sense."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad