Players Need To Regain Control of NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 23807

Article I wrote with some of my thoughts on everything that has transpired and the need for the players to really rethink their membership.

Bloggity blog....(No URL allowed)
PJStyles

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 23807

Nah... I wasn't even aware this wasn't allowed, otherwise I would have posted the article directly. I just started this blog site 2 days ago and use it mostly to post articles from a fan's perspective....

Nevertheless, I really do believe that Goodenow has lost complete touch with what most of the members want and it's only a matter of time before they either agree to Bettman's terms or he's let go... any thoughts or feedback on the article, whether positive or negative would be appreciated.

PJStyles

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
PJStyles said:
Nah... I wasn't even aware this wasn't allowed, otherwise I would have posted the article directly. I just started this blog site 2 days ago and use it mostly to post articles from a fan's perspective....

Nevertheless, I really do believe that Goodenow has lost complete touch with what most of the members want and it's only a matter of time before they either agree to Bettman's terms or he's let go... any thoughts or feedback on the article, whether positive or negative would be appreciated.

PJStyles

The rules on blogs are stickied on the top of this forum, its not hard to see.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=126824

Member 23807

My apologies... didn't notice that... I'll post the article here in it's entirety :

Players Need To Regain Control of NHLPA
Media outlets have reported over the past 24 hours that there was a deal to be made between the NHL and NHLPA, and, for the very first time during these negotiations, it was a matter of "numbers" not "language". I couldn't disagree more. A deal was not made because of the sheer greed of the NHLPA executive committee. Let me explain.

The NHLPA insists two significant concessions were made by offering a 24% roll-back along with a salary cap, something they vowed they would never agree to. However, these items which were included in the NHLPA's last offer before the season was cancelled were filled with smoke and mirrors. The NHLPA would like us to believe their offer was very significant and would change the economic landscape for the NHL, something everyone knows needs to be done.

However, to my sheer amazement, very few have confronted the NHLPA about its inclusion of "linkage" in its last offer. Despite the NHLPA for years refusing to accept linkage or a salary cap, their offer included both. You want to talk about greed? How about making an offer to the league whereby the 2005-2006 season would be used as a base year for revenues. Should revenues increase in subsequent years, the $49 million cap would be increased accordingly, but should revenues remain flat or decrease, the cap would remain intact. Clearly, this wasn't simply about two offers that were $6.5 million apart, especially not if you read the fine print of the offer and all the other little clauses that went along with it - and that's not even counting the exception to the $49 million cap where teams under certain conditions could go beyond the cap. It's no wonder you didn't have Bettman or the owners running up saying "Where do we sign?".

This offer was not meaningful in any way, and Bettman had no choice but to refuse the offer. It has become clear that the NHLPA is interested in one thing and one thing only, preserving the lucrative million dollar contracts players can earn going forward at all costs - that's right - at all costs!

Anyone who has been following hockey and the economics at play knows full well that revenues will drop off as a result of the lockout - and here you have the NHLPA looking to reap all the rewards of future revenues without assuming any risk. How does that constitute a partnership? Nobody disputes that owners and general managers have failed miserably at keeping player salaries at reasonable levels. The players have benefited for over 10 years now by making millions playing a game they presumably love and have a passion for. Not once did the NHLPA voice their concerns when the league was expanding the number of teams - and why would they - it provided more jobs for hockey players throughout the league. But now that the league is in dire financial straits they blame the Commissioner for expanding too quickly? If I had to describe the NHLPA with one word it would be greed!

The classic argument made is that a union's job is to maximize the return for its members. I don't question that notion one bit. What I do question is whether that same argument should be used when the business owners that employ those union members are in shambles - regardless of whose fault it is. Everyone acknowledges that the NHL is in trouble financially - one needs only to look at the television contract with one major U.S broadcaster to see that. Despite the NHLPA's refusal to acknowledge this, they too know it's a reality.

So that bodes the question, when is enough, enough? When will the NHLPA come to the table where they assume some level of risk that will demonstrate their willingness to become a partner in the success or failure of the NHL? I heard one NHL player on the radio today addressing this by saying, "as players we take risk all the time because there are always farm players and upcoming juniors looking to take our roster spot." Welcome to the real world! In the real world, we all compete for jobs within an industry and we compete to keep them too. Being a professional athlete is no different.

In the end, what's even more telling than anything previously mentioned are the reports over the past 72 hours indicating that players were fuming at their union representatives for even accepting the cap at all. If I had to wager a guess, I would say that over 75% of the players are not even aware that "linkage" of revenues was in their last offer. Many players believe it was simply a difference between $42.5 and $49 million. That couldn't be further from the truth. Not only do the players owe an apology to the fans for the cancellation of the season, but they need to look themselves in the mirror and look back to the first time they ever laced up a pair of skates - a time when all they thought about was their passion for the game of hockey. I am not opposed to players making millions, but I am opposed to players being naive and handing over all their power and thought process to a man who clearly has only one thing in mind, greed at all costs. Make no mistake, this wasn't about "numbers" this was all about "language" and the NHL refuses to speak it. Good for them!

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I think they were refering more to the fact that this is a shameless plug for your blog :)

The article posted is an editorial and therefore I don't think the blog rules apply.

If you want to plug your blog, just do what I do: place it in your sig.

Member 23807

Will do but truthfully, I'm really interested to get some feedback on this and what people think regarding the NHLPA and the tactics they've used as described in my post.

I appreciate the heads up... will add it to the signature :)

PJStyles

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I would suggest if you want anyone that is neutral on the subject to take you seriously you need to do a much better job of masking your obvious bias.Look at things from both sides with some objectivity and at least attempt or give the impression that you've taken them into consideration.

I consider your article a longwinded bias rant and not worth the time it takes to read it.
You did want honest opinions,right?

Member 23807

leaflover said:
I would suggest if you want anyone that is neutral on the subject to take you seriously you need to do a much better job of masking your obvious bias.Look at things from both sides with some objectivity and at least attempt or give the impression that you've taken them into consideration.

I consider your article a longwinded bias rant and not worth the time it takes to read it.
You did want honest opinions,right?

I agree with you.... having said that, my blog site are just my thoughts and there's definite bias, especially given everything that has transpired over the past 72 hours and how the NHLPA has conducted themselves.

But you're right... I probably should have a Pro PA person post something on the blog site :)

PJStyles

Member 23807

Man... I just listened to the 1 on 1 interview with Goodenow on TSN and I just can't believe the crap that comes out of his mouth. He was asked about the players getting a worse deal as time goes on and he says that the owners started the lockout and they are solely to blame for the decreased revenues.

Again, when do the players and the PA take some responsibility for things? There's no desire whatsoever from the PA to form a partnership, none whatsoever.

PJStyles

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
PJStyles said:
But you're right... I probably should have a Pro PA person post something on the blog site :)

PJStyles
Thats an option.
If you're firmly commited to your stance and want interest from all hockey fans regardless of which side they stand with,then its an excellent way to neutralize your blog and draw interest from all hockey fans.
Otherwise you alienate those with opposing views.

Member 23807

leaflover said:
Thats an option.
If you're firmly commited to your stance and want interest from all hockey fans regardless of which side they stand with,then its an excellent way to neutralize your blog and draw interest from all hockey fans.
Otherwise you alienate those with opposing views.

Valid points... I'll definitely make an effort to have someone who is PRO PA post some articles on the blog.... Thanks!

PJStyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->