Players in the Junior champions to keep an eye

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Haven't seen much of Drouin or MacKinnon at all, probably a no brainer answer.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Drafted:
RNH
Yakupov
Zharkov
Musil
Reider

It sucks that Gernat and Klefbom are injured. They would both play huge roles on their teams.

Undrafted:
Barkov
Mackinnon
Jones
Drouin?
Shinkaruk?

I really like Shinkaruk. I doubt we'll draft high enough to grab him though. I'm most excited to see Barkov of the undrafted players. I haven't seen much of him at all.

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
For me its
RNH, Yakapov, Zharkov, Musil, Reider and draft eligibles
McKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan, mind you some of the draft eligible kids might not make the team.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
For me its
RNH, Yakapov, Zharkov, Musil, Reider and draft eligibles
McKinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan, mind you some of the draft eligible kids might not make the team.

I think Barkov is a shoe-in personally. One other Finnish player I'm excited to see if he makes it is Rasmus Ristolainen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im gunna watch Barkov. While Mackinnon is consenus #1 right now I feel Barkov could challenge him by seasons end. Really want this kid

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
Elias Lindholm. I wish I saw paajarvi pull the stuff this kid is doing. This kid is a stud. Vision. Hands. Grit. Shot. Skating. Watch the video, I'm sure you will be impressed!

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Assuming there is no season, the Oilers are likely drafting in the 20-30 range. Hopefully, there's a big skilled centre out there who can be the 2C down the road.
What players could fit this profile?

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Elias Lindholm. I wish I saw paajarvi pull the stuff this kid is doing. This kid is a stud. Vision. Hands. Grit. Shot. Skating. Watch the video, I'm sure you will be impressed!

You should probably take a look at Mags' pre-draft highlight clips.... Impressive clip nonetheless.

Last edited:

BOUNCE

Jul 22, 2007
Edmonton
You should probably take a look at Mags' pre-draft highlight clips....

I definitely have. I was a big Paajarvi fanboy during his draft year and though he was gonna be sick. Well we all know how that's turning out... Mags didnt have the shot, passing, poise, grit at Lindholms age. There is a reason why people are comparing Lindholm to Forsberg. Lindholm has high hockey IQ. That something Magnus will never have.

kitchen44

Mar 27, 2010
Assuming there is no season, the Oilers are likely drafting in the 20-30 range. Hopefully, there's a big skilled centre out there who can be the 2C down the road.

Jakob Della Rose

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Alexandr Barkov and Rasmus Ristolainen for Finland.
Elias Lindholm for Sweden.
Anton Slepyshev for Russia.

All of whom I think would be really good fits with the Oilers.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Bogdan Yakimov, Ryan Kujawinski(sp?), and I'd say Frederick Gauthier fits the description, dunno anything about him.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
I definitely have. I was a big Paajarvi fanboy during his draft year and though he was gonna be sick. Well we all know how that's turning out... Mags didnt have the shot, passing, poise, grit at Lindholms age. There is a reason why people are comparing Lindholm to Forsberg. Lindholm has high hockey IQ. That something Magnus will never have.

Yeah il admit that Mags got by with his skating, size and the occasional creativity at the same level. I was hyped on his train. He has always had the tool box but lacks the intensity and willingness Lindholm expresses. There is no question Lindholm shows a largely more accurate shot, stick handling, desire to win the puck and overall better hockey sense. His poise is undeniable as well. He looks like Hemsky at the line with his infamous t-drags. He'll be an exciting prospect to watch at the WJCs. Him and Barkov are my undeniable most interesting forward prospects to watch.

My point was simply that Paajarvis cheery-picked montage looked almost if not at times equally as impressive through my rose-coloured lenses.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Barkov was good last year as a 16 year old.

I want to watch Yakupov and Nuge rep the Oil, it's rare and should always be rare to witness two 1st overall picks playing in the world juniors at the same time.

I want to watch Zharkov, Musil and Rieder as well....should turn heads.

Jenner and Wilson running around and Drouin and Mackinnon should be great. Morgan Rielly is a beast and Burke would definitely want him in a Maple Leafs uniform today.

Last edited:

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Barkov was good last year as a 16 year old.

I want to watch Yakupov and Nuge rep the Oil, it's rare and should always be rare to witness two 1st overall picks playing in the world juniors.

I want to watch Zharkov, Musil and Rieder as well....should turn heads.

Jenner and Wilson running around and Drouin and Mackinnon should be great. Morgan Rielly is a beast and Burke would definitely want him in a Maple Leafs uniform today.

Barkov looked so poised and impressive when he used both his senses, size and skill to break Crosbys scoring record.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Barkov looked so poised and impressive when he used both his senses, size and skill to break Crosbys scoring record.

and almost a point a game player in a mens league with great goaltending, should stick out on Finland.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
already a shoe-in.

Good stuff. Hard to imagine he wouldn't be really.

and almost a point a game player in a mens league with great goaltending, should stick out on Finland.

No question in my mind he will be a standout. Built like a man with the composure to match. His stats are extremely impressive this year. For good reason as well. Any goalies you keen about cause I can't seem to find any that really excite me.

Last edited:

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
i was really hoping to watch Sean Monahan, but I guess that won't be happening. he's impressed me when I've seen him on other occassions. I was surprised he was cut first round.

From Finland, I am looking forward to seeing Vainonen (D) and Ikonen (F), who both play here in Kingston for the Fronts. It will be especially interesting to see how Ikonen stacks up against higher quality competition.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not really sure what to think this year. Is it really going to be a shock to see guys that aren't drafted not look that good? There is only so much ice-time to go around and with NHL players playing in this tourney I think the chances of a non-drafted player have an excellent tourney is going to be low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad