Players embrace Forbes Magazine... why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=104470&hubName=

so players have embraced the new article on Forbes that says the NHL lost less money then what they say. Can somebody tell me why these idiots are chanting victory as if they were right the whole time? Sure, the NHL lost less money then what they said, BUT they're STILL LOSING MONEY!! if anything, this should affirm that the NHL, although skewing some facts, are still legit in some sense that they are losing money. So why aren't they working on giving some leeway on this cap issue?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the NHLPA would say they are attempting to compromise on the cap issue by pushing for a luxury tax (different means to the same end). Whether you or I think it'll work has been battered around on tons of threads already.

And the NHLPA is pushing the Forbes report because it gives the potential loss numbers as being far lower than Levitts and that it shows how easily money can be moved around on paper to show losses, gains, etc. It's a credibility issue. The owners have been going on and on about losing *tons* of money because of player salaries. But have they really lost that much money? And how much of it is because of player salaries escalating? Or are a lot of teams losing money simply because they run their team badly?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Far from shedding new light on the NHL's situation, the Forbes report only demonstrates a respected valuer of franchises can come to a conclusion that the owners are underreporting revenues and overstating losses as the NHLPA has known all along. This makes a solution difficult if you are assuming the owners arent lying, because now we see why people theink they are lying. This puts the season in jeopardy. We need to have everyone belive the lies or there will be no hockey. Very irresponsible of Forbes. Now the brainwashing campaign has been set back.

So how can the NHL counter this problem. Well, ok, even if they were half lying, they are still lsoing almost half what they said. Surely that is enough to justify cap isnt it? Please? Pretty please?

If the owners are only lose half the money they say, and over half of that is non salary / cba related, surely by now everyone can see many simple solutions besides a cap can solve real problems.

I dont hear the NHLPA claiming victory. I hear them say there are some real problems and they are willing to make significant concessions. And Forbes is suggesting that the last offer, far from being a joke, cover the losses that Forbes states.

Forbes numbers arent really relevant. How can they really know. They show where some of the revenue discrepancies occurr though. And why the players have good cause to not believe the numbers. Fans really are upset about this though. They dont want to know this. Its a setback to have had this published. Amusing.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
The Forbes report is not worth the paper it's printed on, Forbes hasn't even seen the books, their estimates are only educated guesses and their track record in getting the values right is beyond horrible.

Only the staunchest pro-PA yahoos like Thinkwild actually give it any credit, others see the massive holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->