Players and their wives!

PacketFlo

Feb 20, 2004
Can anyone please try to convince me why players wanting to be dealt because their wives want to be closer to family and friends shouldn't be banned for the term of their contracts?

I can understand being a UFA but....

I honestly feel terrible for all Edmonton fans. Getting someone with a superstar status like Pronger, signing him to a multi year deal only to have him want OUT is just ridiculous.

I lost total respect for the guy! He should have to sit out for the remainder of his contract. See how his wife likes that...

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PacketFlo said:
Can anyone please try to convince me why players wanting to be dealt because their wives want to be closer to family and friends shouldn't be banned for the term of their contracts?

I honestly feel terrible for all Edmonton fans. Getting someone with a superstar status like Pronger, signing him to a multi year deal only to have him want OUT is just ridiculous.

I lost total respect for the guy! He should have to sit out for the remainder of his contract. See how his wife likes that...

it is only ridiculous if he does not come to camp and fulfill his contractual obligations. Otherwise, he is a human being and so is his wife and they are 100% entitled to ask for a trade and/or not be happy. Just as you are free to have your emotions, so are they. And as long as the player is not reneging on his contract, tough beans.

The team also has the right to not trade him, to not appease his demands and if he or the wife dont like it, tough beans on them. they wanted a long term deal, they got it. lump it.

However, that doesnt change the fact they are human and entitled to their emotions.

I dont feel sad for EDM fans. Chris Pronger is not their chattel, he wasnt born to serve as their personal gladiator, no matter how much money he makes, he doesnt belong to EDM fans.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
PacketFlo said:

I think there is a bit more to this story that isn't yet confirmed. Being closer to family and friends could just be a "nice" cover.

Filiatron

Feb 18, 2005
I don't understand these women. You marry a hockey player then moving becomes part of the package. Suck it up. You don't like that, then marry someone else.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
DR said:
it is only ridiculous if he does not come to camp and fulfill his contractual obligations. Otherwise, he is a human being and so is his wife and they are 100% entitled to ask for a trade and/or not be happy. Just as you are free to have your emotions, so are they. And as long as the player is not reneging on his contract, tough beans.

The team also has the right to not trade him, to not appease his demands and if he or the wife dont like it, tough beans on them. they wanted a long term deal, they got it. lump it.

However, that doesnt change the fact they are human and entitled to their emotions.

I dont feel sad for EDM fans. Chris Pronger is not their chattel, he wasnt born to serve as their personal gladiator, no matter how much money he makes, he doesnt belong to EDM fans.

Well said.

PacketFlo

Feb 20, 2004
I agree in that we are all only human and we all make mistakes but he should be penalized for having signed a long term contract only to break it 1 season later. That's my beef...

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
PacketFlo said:
I agree in that we are all only human and we all make mistakes but he should be penalized for having signed a long term contract only to break it 1 season later. That's my beef...

Break it? What is breaking it? The man requested a trade. It's not like he's sitting out, Terrell Owens style. He's not breaking anything. He's not asking for a new contract. He wants a trade, his contract is still valid, he just wants a new team on the top of it.

PacketFlo

Feb 20, 2004
rohan said:
Break it? What is breaking it? The man requested a trade. It's not like he's sitting out, Terrell Owens style. He's not breaking anything. He's not asking for a new contract. He wants a trade, his contract is still valid, he just wants a new team on the top of it.

How would you feel if Joe Thornton requested a trade after bringing the San Jose sharks to the stanely cup finals? I'm sorry but no fan would want that happening to their respective teams. I know he is not actually breaking his contract but you understand what I'm getting at.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PacketFlo said:
How would you feel if Joe Thornton requested a trade after bringing the San Jose sharks to the stanely cup finals? I'm sorry but no fan would want that happening to their respective teams. I know he is not actually breaking his contract but you understand what I'm getting at.

who cares about how you (or another fan) feels. Hockey players were not born to serve us in enduntered slavery. Ok, slaves dont make fortunes, but expecting them to act like robotrons with no emotions or human conditions is expecting them to serve us no different than slaves.

the man asked for a trade, life will go on for the Oiler fans. He is neither the first, nor the best player that EDM has had to trade.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
PacketFlo said:

If this happened with a player on my team (Canucks) I would initially be ticked off. I think most people would be. But in the end, I would realize that he has to do what is best for his family. If the family isn't happy, you can bet that the player won't be happy and his production on the ice may be affected, which of course, does not benefit my team. So, in the end, I would push my anger aside and realize that it is probably best for everyone involved if he moved on. My team will recover and in the end, I believe will be a better team because of it.

;)

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Darth Star said:
I don't understand these women. You marry a hockey player then moving becomes part of the package. Suck it up. You don't like that, then marry someone else.
Agreed. The amount of players expecting their personal needs to be accomodated this year is getting ridiculous. If someone was giving me a 7 figure salary, I'd put up with a LOT.

I don't see where people are saying they're not entitled to be unhappy, they can think/feel whatever they want. Expecting multi-million dollar corporations to bend over backwards because of your personal problems is asking a bit too much IMO.

I'm not understanding some of the responses here. We all have to put up with inconveniences in life, why should these guys be any different?

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
it can hurt the player, because it also raises questions about his reliability and loyalty. so it could hurt his future career prospects.

reputations can be hard to shake. ask Todd Bergen.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Sotnos said:
Agreed. The amount of players expecting their personal needs to be accomodated this year is getting ridiculous. If someone was giving me a 7 figure salary, I'd put up with a LOT.

I don't see where people are saying they're not entitled to be unhappy, they can think/feel whatever they want. Expecting multi-million dollar corporations to bend over backwards because of your personal problems is asking a bit too much IMO.

I'm not understanding some of the responses here. We all have to put up with inconveniences in life, why should these guys be any different?

Maybe I should rephrase what I stated earlier. ;) If I were an Oilers fan would I be ticked off? You bet I would. But what can anyone do about it? If the guy wants to break his contract and leave, well then all I can say is "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" (or whatever that phrase is.) Personally, my respect for that player would go down, I don't have a lot of respect for people (no matter their occupation) who make a promise (in this case) to a team, to an organization and to the fans and then decide that it just isn't going to work out. I think that Mr. Pronger and his wife should have thought long and hard about moving to Edmonton in the beginning. Would that be a lifestyle that his family could adjust to and eventually accept? Maybe they should have looked at the sacrifices they would have to make (by moving to Edmonton) instead of looking at the dollar signs. I don't know, maybe they did, who knows. Maybe he should have signed for just a year. But like someone pointed out in an earlier post, this will be a negative mark for Pronger; might not be a huge negative, but it will always be there. In the future, there may be organizations that will be reluctant to sign him due to the choice he made in Edmonton.

As far as his wife is concerned and her problem with Edmonton is that it isn't quite the cosmopolitan city she desires, personally (and please note, I said personally; just my point of view) I don't feel sorry for her. As a female, if I were to ever be in the position of marrying a hockey player, I would take into consideration that along with some of the nice little benefits, there will also be sacrifices I would have to make; like possibly having to move to a city/country that I might not even remotely consider moving to if it weren't for the fact of being married. If I could not say to myself that I would be willing to move anywhere, then I don't see how I could commit myself to marrying a man whose job required possible relocations. Your husband plays hockey, you knew that when you married him, you should have known that relocation might be in the cards somewhere down the line, if you can't accept that fact, don't marry the guy.

But, in the end, Pronger can do what he wants, and if his family isn't happy in Edmonton, then Pronger won't be happy in Edmonton. And if he feels it is necessary for him to break his contract, then let him. There's not much anyone can really do about it (except maybe you could TP his house the day he puts it on the market). ;) If a player doesn't want to live in my city, and play for my team, then he can take his happy you-know-what somewhere else.

Whew, that was a tad bit longwinded. ;)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Sotnos said:

Money can't buy happiness, and we don't know every detail. A lot of people think it is some petty thing, but what if its something serious? Like they feel threatened by someone? Maybe someone in their family got really sick? Who knows.

Fugu

Moving the family for jobs and career are issues "normal" people have to face everyday. If I had my druthers, I'd live somewhere where the scenery was incredible and I had a perfect climate. Guess what? I have to earn a living and so do lots of men (and women). Military families put up with separations for extended periods and transfers sometimes with little notice or input into the process. They suck it up. They knew what they were getting into when they signed up. Hockey players should not expect to be any different. In a profession where few players spend an entire career with one team, it certainly is a luxury to be able to sign a multi-year COMMITMENT, then say... ummm, well, you know, this town just isn't as big as I'd like.

I think any of these guys who signed multi-year deals then play the wife card need a swift kick in the ***. Too darn bad. Fly home and visit your friends on weekends. With an annual income of $6 million, I think they can afford the plane ticket, first class even. It is hard enough to build a team with cap, draft, development and injury issues. The deal is... you move if you are traded and you honor your commitments. If they really want out, the league should put in some clause that they pay back 50% of their earnings to the team that decided they were worth signing and then they can get traded or cut depending on what the team chooses. If these guys (and their puckbunnies) feel it in their wallets, they might think twice about the commitments and demands (oh sorry, requests) they are making .

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Remy said:
If a player doesn't want to live in my city, and play for my team, then he can take his happy you-know-what somewhere else.
Agreed 100% with that and with everything you said really. If he does want out then I'd tell him to not let the door hit him. ;) If this is a case of them not liking the city, well they should have figured that out before. If it's something that's more problematic, that sucks, but there are very few situations that I can think of that need to be resolved by your employer making accomodations for you. Pronger doesn't seem to be the only one who's putting his team in a bad spot like this, it's becoming something of a trend.

Whew, that was a tad bit longwinded.
Longwinded is ok if you make good points, which you did. Good post, don't apologize. :)

I just noticed the first post I quoted sounds really sexist, so let me just say I'd say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Personally i can't understand how if your an NHL player and have chicks throwing themselves at you left and right why the hell you would want to get married before you are 35ish.

I know alot of them still cheat but I would rather do it without guilt.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Fugu said:
Moving the family for jobs and career are issues "normal" people have to face everyday.

Yes, but normal people have the option to quit their jobs and find another one in their field in the city where they live. That's not really an option for NHL players. Young ones under the age of free agency don't even have that option.

Fugu

RedK said:
Yes, but normal people have the option to quit their jobs and find another one in their field in the city where they live. That's not really an option for NHL players. Young ones under the age of free agency don't even have that option.

I'm not sure what field you are in and in which city, but unless it is a big one and you do something generic (accountancy, pharmacy, construction, etc.) you often are tied to a specific industry and certain regions. Ask any headhunter. Their first question is, "Are you geographically mobile?"

Your comment about younger players and RFA's actually supports my point. The nature of professional hockey is that you have 30 options at best. That also assumes you are an NHL-caliber player although we've seen guys who are and should be in the NHL shipped to the minors with 1-2 days' notice. The majority of players are happy to get a deal. Then they are pretty happy about staying in the pro's. Turning your nose up at an NHL team that has agreed to pay you $7 million for several years is beyond prima donna. Somebody is in serious need of a reality check-- professional athletes have accepted the fact that most of the time they don't get to choose where they play and for how much.

Rudolf Yaber

Dec 18, 2005
Edmonton
Maybe, just maybe, hockey players have lives outside of their careers. And maybe, just maybe, their family might be a priority over their jobs. Why is that so hard to understand?

Fugu

Perogieboy said:
Maybe, just maybe, hockey players have lives outside of their careers. And maybe, just maybe, their family might be a priority over their jobs. Why is that so hard to understand?

Yeah that's fine but the only way that works is to do away with all contracts and restrictions of any kind (rookie status, RFA, UFA, etc.). Then anytime a guy needs to make a change (whatever his priorities are) he sends his resume out and signs with anyone that gives him an offer. Right?

PacketFlo

Feb 20, 2004
Fugu said:
Yeah that's fine but the only way that works is to do away with all contracts and restrictions of any kind (rookie status, RFA, UFA, etc.). Then anytime a guy needs to make a change (whatever his priorities are) he sends his resume out and signs with anyone that gives him an offer. Right?

You couldn't have put it any better! If Family is indeed his priority like everyone is stating then perhaps he should just quit hockey and stay home. NOT THE CASE THOUGH IS IT!

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Fugu said:
Moving the family for jobs and career are issues "normal" people have to face everyday. If I had my druthers, I'd live somewhere where the scenery was incredible and I had a perfect climate. Guess what? I have to earn a living and so do lots of men (and women). Military families put up with separations for extended periods and transfers sometimes with little notice or input into the process. They suck it up. They knew what they were getting into when they signed up. Hockey players should not expect to be any different. In a profession where few players spend an entire career with one team, it certainly is a luxury to be able to sign a multi-year COMMITMENT, then say... ummm, well, you know, this town just isn't as big as I'd like.

I think any of these guys who signed multi-year deals then play the wife card need a swift kick in the ***. Too darn bad. Fly home and visit your friends on weekends. With an annual income of $6 million, I think they can afford the plane ticket, first class even. It is hard enough to build a team with cap, draft, development and injury issues. The deal is... you move if you are traded and you honor your commitments. If they really want out, the league should put in some clause that they pay back 50% of their earnings to the team that decided they were worth signing and then they can get traded or cut depending on what the team chooses. If these guys (and their puckbunnies) feel it in their wallets, they might think twice about the commitments and demands (oh sorry, requests) they are making .

I agree 100%. What Pronger has pulled in Edmonton is terrible. What a joke. I know the saying "happy wife means a happy life" but maybe she should have considered having to move to different NHL cities before she married him. I understand that hockey players and their families are human and have their own emotions, tastes, preferences, etc., but part of being human in today's world is working for a living and putting up with all the aggravation that entails. And you're not always going to be working for the company you like, doing the job that you like, in the city that you like in the weather that you like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad