Player you are most proud of your team for developing?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Leon Draisaitl

Went from "bust" and significantly inferior to Dylan Strome to one of the best young centers in a couple of years

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Jamie Benn. A big, slow winger that looked like he was skating in cement. Drafted in the 5th round don't think he was on anyone's radar. Ends up making the team as a 20 year old, becoming captain, and winning an Art Ross.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Marchand and, to a lesser degree, Krejci, were developed in the organization incredibly well. Both were down the list of prospects while higher rated prospects never amounted to much and neither had much of an impact on entering the NHL, and given just enough leeway but strong arm that they both developed into the players they are today. Marchand especially.
Good picks. I want to say Boychuk. Not sure if he counts though since he wasn't a Bruins pick, but he developed quite nicely from acquisition to departure.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't really feel like the flames developed gaudreau or tkachuk. We just drafted who they already were.

Ferland, Brodie and backlund though you could see the progression.

I have high hopes for kulak as well

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Leafs - Tyler Bozak is that guy. Downside of his career but has spent it all as a homegrown talent coming directly from the NCAA.

Shut up criticism and produced without Kessel.

Maintained the Assistant Captain role through multiple coaches and management regimes.

Stays out of the papers and trusted role model.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Kesler would be up there for me. The guy only scored 23 points in 05/06, was mostly just a shutdown bottom 6 guy, didn't look to have a ton of skill outside of that to be a top 6 guy. Flyers signed him to a 1.9 million offer sheet. Canucks could have accepted that and got a 2nd from Philly in 07 for a guy who looked to simply be a shutdown centre. Pretty good return. But, instead they matched the offer and kept Kesler who would go on to score 40 goals, win a Selke, put up 70+ points twice, and be one of the leaders of the team in the playoffs of 2011. Glad they didn't give up on him

The Sedins are another good choice. They were 2nd and 3rd overall picks so it is a weird choice, but they were absolutely jumped on by fans and media before the lockout. I mean they only hit 40+ points once right before the lockout, and Henrik had two seasons with under 10 goals. They were called sisters, and soft, and a waste of two top picks in 1999. The team didn't give up, and they came out after the lockout as premier NHL players, winning 2 Art Ross's, a Hart, and a Lindsay.

I'd say those three, all around the same time too, were the most prominent in recent Canuck memory

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Came in to post Kadri/Brown but leafs fan op beat me to it :p , quite easily Kadri though as you explained

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Jamie Benn. A big, slow winger that looked like he was skating in cement. Drafted in the 5th round don't think he was on anyone's radar. Ends up making the team as a 20 year old, becoming captain, and winning an Art Ross.

Might be my favourite 'win win' trade in recent memory - as I think Boston traded you that pick for Adam McQuaid. Of course you guys got a Hart winner - but what are the chances Boston would've drafted him or developed him - and he went West? While the Bruins got a tough as nails d-man that was a big part of some very good years for the team.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Duncan Keith?

Late 2nd round pick for the Blackhawks.

First NHL experience was shaky to say the least.
"Chihuahua on skates" is the nickname someone here gave him.

Now?
3x Cup champion
2x Norris
2x Olympic Gold
1x Conn Smythe

Undoubtably a Hall of Famer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't really feel like the flames developed gaudreau or tkachuk. We just drafted who they already were.

Ferland, Brodie and backlund though you could see the progression.

I have high hopes for kulak as well

Gaudreau you could make the case for, because they gave him a lot of time in the NCAA, and then came in snagged him when it was time to come over.

Biggest one is easily Gio.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I did, Phaneuf and Kessel weren't drafted by Toronto but became 1st pairing D-men and first line wingers here.

???

Phaneuf was a finalist for the Calder, losing to Ovi
An All star in 06-07 season (sophomore), losing hardest shot competition to Chara
An All star in 07-08 season, a finalist to the Norris, losing to Lindstrom...

...before he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

MikeBabcock

real gud pro
Apr 10, 2017
Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
???

Phaneuf was a finalist for the Calder, losing to Ovi
An All star in 06-07 season (sophomore), losing hardest shot competition to Chara
An All star in 07-08 season, a finalist to the Norris, losing to Lindstrom...

...before he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He was never a captain in the NHL until he joined the Leafs though.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I did, Phaneuf and Kessel weren't drafted by Toronto but became 1st pairing D-men and first line wingers here.

hmm... they came over to your team #1 winger and #1 d-man, already developed, and fell apart there, and never progressed and the regressed. Not sure if those two are the one's you want to hang your hat on.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Johan Franzen. Took him until 24 to even crack the NHL, took him to 26-27 to even make it out of the bottom 6. Turned into a beast until career ended by concussions. I'm glad we stuck with him while he was developing.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The Oilers haven't really developed anyone on their current roster.

Even guys like Nurse and Klefbom were first round picks with good draft pedigree. I mean, Nurse was a 7th overall selection. He's having a heckuva season and finally becoming the player many hoped for - but that's exactly where he should be by now.

It'd be nice if the oilers could turn a second-rounder or later into a serviceable NHLer one of these years. I can't even remember the last impact player to be selected past the first round for the oilers... Probably Jaret Stoll?!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

uhhh wut?

both were well on their way to being good player before the Leafs traded for them. One actually became a worse player once he became a Leaf.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
you've got a point. as much i knock on "muffin", when muzzin shows up that's a solid pairing with doughty, and he was basically free and developed from the baseline
Toffoli and Martinez is my pick for the Kings.Need more samples for Kempe and a consent Pearson.

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad