Player you are most proud of your team for developing?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
are there any player(s) that you are happy your team stuck by through the thick and thin? Players that turned into significant players or even decently productive players.

As a Leafs fan, Nazem Kadri is that guy right now that got absolutely shit on by the media and has been through the worst of times with the franchise but now that things are looking up and he's on a sweetheart contract, he's one of the team leaders and he's producing career highs seemingly every year.

Another guy is Connor Brown, tiny little kid that used to play for the worst team in the CHL, he was a -63 the year he was drafted and all he has done since is be the captain for a top flight OHL team with McDavid, win OHL scoring title, AHL rookie of the year and pot 20 goals as a rookie playing 1/3rd line minutes.

Outside my team, I can say someone like Max Pacioretty fits the bill. I remember times when this kid was being discounted because he couldn't stick on the team or produce up to the expectations of the fans and media. But he persevered and the Habs believed in him to make him Captain and he's been their top offensive guy for many seasons now.

Who are those types of players on your team?

EDIT: One more guy that pops into my head is Claude Giroux. He got no fanfare in the Q and even his draft year he was massively underrated. All he's done everywhere he's been is dominate on the ice and on the scoreboard. He broke on to a strong flyers team getting 3rd line minutes and played his way up. He forced the Flyers hands and allowed them to trade their top guns in Richards and Carter knowing that they had this guy who was going to take over and carry the team. Which he did.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stralman was waiver garbage, came to the Rangers, and turned into a star. I feel pretty good about that.

Jesper Fast also comes to mind. Sixth round pick not thought of as particularly skilled that we molded into an effective player in multiple facets of the game.

We've really stuck with Kreider despite people giving him a lot of shit, and honestly, those people are nuts. Kreider has exceeded draft expectations. He was never a PPG in college and was a .5 PPG in the AHL. He's since turned into a bonafide first line wing at the highest level.

McDonagh wasn't supposed to be elite.

Also happy with how Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, and Buchnevich turned out. Even Kevin Hayes has made clear improvements this year.

I think some of our signings and a lot of our drafting is open for criticisms, but the Rangers' development is top notch and kept us competitive.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
Someone that comes to mind is Scheifele. He was initially a pretty big surprise when the Jets picked, considering Couturier and Hamilton were still on the board. Then he couldn't make the team in his draft +1 and +2 seasons. And every season since he's played in the NHL he's improved in production and is now a top C in the league.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Devils turned Adam Larsson from a 'bust' to Taylor Hall in a year and a half.

On a more serious note, I think NJ did a good job with David Clarkson. Undrafted UFA, signs with the Devils. Went .6ppg in the AHL for two seasons then became a fantastic middle 6 player with the big club. I know he's a meme now, but he had a very good NHL career.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Marchand, I guess? His first 20 games in the NHL were nothing and it took him a while to make it, but he was an instant contributor and a part of our core for every game after that.

There were a few times between 2013-2016 where I thought he was going to get traded, but he continues to grow every year and is one of the best forwards in the league.

I guess Bergeron is another one. They took a huge gamble to build around him instead of Thornton, and then he got a nearly career ending concussion. They kept him in the picture and let him get back to speed, and he'll be in the Bruins' rafters.

Reactions: Bruinaura

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
I concur with Kadri. I remember how he used to get shit on and people used to argue Bozak vs. Kadri. Love to see where he's at right now. Leafs don't have anyone else that has that combo of being skilled and playing on the edge. I don't know any Leaf fan that doesn't like him.

Reactions: ThewThew

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Conor Sheary for the Pens.

Undersized, UDFA that went from an AHL only deal to being one of Crosby's preferred wingers. One of the few wingers to ever "get" Crosby and know how to play well with him.

Doesn't get too much better than that for rags to riches stories.

Reactions: TNT87

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nurse for the Oilers.

The guy has been the constant brunt of "no intelligence" and never going to amount to anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman from fans on the main boards and the Oilers' own boards for the majority of the time since he's been drafted. Was asked to do too much and relied on way too heavily a couple seasons ago on a floundering team, had some peaks and valleys last season and has now taken the bit between his teeth and exploded into the Oilers' most reliable and impressive defenseman this season. His developmental curve is arcing upward at a 90 degree angle.

Playing 25 minutes a night. His defensive zone awareness and positioning is that of a poised vet and he's starting to figure things out in the offensive zone. His skating is absolutely effortless, sees the ice and reads the play well, probably the only blueliner we have that can consistently make crisp outlet passes etc. Seems to be improving with every game and is even producing some offense (2 goals, 8 assists) without a single shred of power play time so far.

Once he completely physically matures and gets even more comfortable, he's going to be an absolute terror to play against and certainly has top pairing potential.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Kadri and brown are the obvious answers from the leafs. I think Hyman is also a huge success story, taking massive steps forward under Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad