Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

NickWN

Jun 14, 2017
Toronto, ON
He gets his chances with or without Z. I see him float around for a few shifts, not making any impact and then out of nowhere he creates a good scoring chance for himself out of a turnover or something. Yes he does play better with Z, just like every single person on the roster.

Last year, he relied heavily on Z. No doubt about that, but this year he's started to break free of that, as explained here.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cool interview with Mantha on this podcast

Talks about his family history, his hockey life growing up, his profession to the NHL. He almost played tennis instead of hockey!

Lots of good stuff here

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Cool interview with Mantha on this podcast

Talks about his family history, his hockey life growing up, his profession to the NHL. He almost played tennis instead of hockey!

Lots of good stuff here

I don't have an hour to listen to this stuff. Anything else good in the PCast?

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
he sux

(I don't actually believe this, I just want to participate in all the overreaction after every game)

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He had a 3 pt game vs Calgary 2 weeks ago yet only 1 goal (NJ) since. I don't think he's playing bad, it's just other teams playing him hard. He, Larkin, and AA are the most threatening forwards we have and every team knows it.
With two Montreal games he'll probably get 6 or 7 points. :nod:

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
He hasn't been as good but I don't think he's touched the puck on the PP since his dynamite night against Calgary. Sad to see.

Yeah it's idiotic that he's not given the opportunity to control the powerplay, given that he's got the best shot and best passing on our team. The more he has the puck on his stick, the better. Right now he is unable to touch the puck unless someone shoots and there is a rebound.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Yeah it's idiotic that he's not given the opportunity to control the powerplay, given that he's got the best shot and best passing on our team. The more he has the puck on his stick, the better. Right now he is unable to touch the puck unless someone shoots and there is a rebound.

I don't think we get enough shots through to the net on the PP for him to be there. When Frk comes back he will be more useful at net front. I think until then we should use him similar to how we used Franzen. He should be creeping out a bit inside that box to open himself up for the shot or tip if the wall or point has puck, imo.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
At 5 on 5 I want to see Mantha with Athanasiou.
These guys play well together.
f*** this Athanasiou with Wilson bullshit.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
At 5 on 5 I want to see Mantha with Athanasiou.
These guys play well together.
**** this Athanasiou with Wilson bull****.

No, he doesn't. Mantha has played some of his worst hockey away from Zetterberg/Larkin. Having two shoot first players together on a team full of passers is fundamentally one of the worst ideas.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Athanasiou and Mantha have barely played together this year yet they've sent each other in on breakaways and have points together.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd have them on different lines as the only way to make each of the top3 lines have any real offensive threat. Pair up something like:

-Z-Mantha
Tatar-Larkin-
Athanasiou-Nielsen-

Then move guys in and out of those empty spots depending on match-ups, chemistry, etc. on any given night. And with Blashill liking the 11-7 lineup, it works even better with more guys to mix/match.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Everybody just needs to take a break from obsessing over the kids each and every game. Go big picture. We’ll love them and hate them throughout the year.

Is there anything else for an obsessed fan to really concern themselves with, though? They are the future and likely the only pillars of the organization that will withstand more losing seasons.

That said, you're right, there are going to be serious ebbs and flows, particularly on a roster that struggles to generate offense consistently.

Reactions: TheMule93

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Meh, the kids are the brightest spot of this team. Howard is looking good, but we all know his grown is on a hair trigger, Z talking retirement, the defense is shit, and the rest of the team is replacement level talent.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I just want Zetterberg and Nyquist to be split up. There is literally no reasoning or justification to continue to have them on the same line. It doesn't work.

edit: "Is there a guy to put with him? Him and (Gustav Nyquist) have been working together. We're working to find a third that hopefully creates some more production. But if they get chances like they did (in Tuesday's 4-1 loss to the Kings) they'll be productive. Do they need to produce? Yes. But I think with chances comes production."

Looks like my wish isn't coming any time soon.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
Everybody just needs to take a break from obsessing over the kids each and every game. Go big picture. We’ll love them and hate them throughout the year.

They are literally the only reason the team is worth watching, and Holland has put all his eggs into one basket with them. Of course people are going to have them under a microscope. If they dont turn into franchise pillars then we're back to perpetual mediocrity and hoping for a new elite talent in the mid first round.

Reactions: mantha39

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Athanasiou and Mantha have barely played together this year yet they've sent each other in on breakaways and have points together.

That's some fantastic ancedotal evidence you have there.

Oh wait, you didn't even provide that. You just said "oh, they play well together."

Is there anything else for an obsessed fan to really concern themselves with, though? They are the future and likely the only pillars of the organization that will withstand more losing seasons.

That said, you're right, there are going to be serious ebbs and flows, particularly on a roster that struggles to generate offense consistently.

I suppose it is more constructive than obsessing over the AHL level prospect that we waive any time that happens. It does tend to lead to contradictory arguments and a circular loop that ends with people just wanting to burn the whole thing down to start fresh.

"We want Mantha with the puck on his stick."
"We want him playing with good players... but not Zetterberg because it will inflate his stats."

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That's some fantastic ancedotal evidence you have there.

Oh wait, you didn't even provide that. You just said "oh, they play well together.

Since you're trying to condescend, here's some help: It's spelled "ANECdotal."

What do want? They've played 50 minutes or so together.
How many of those minutes were empty net situations.
The only real numbers I have are this.
The line of Athanasiou-Larkin-Mantha has played 36 minutes.
Their CF to CA is 45-36.
Their GF to GA is 2-3.
Not exactly the most telling numbers.
But right away, watching those games, you could see they can work the puck well together.

You can't tell shit from the PP. Both Athanasiou and Mantha never get to touch the puck. They spend all their time facing the points, watching Larkin, Green and Nielsen pass the puck in circles until someone shoots.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So I was asking some friends about the 2013 draft, and was thinking about that 2 position trade down from 18 to 20th.

I have always wondered who Holland really liked in that draft, and how Mantha was choosen, and just for fun ill write what I think:

I theorize this was the state of mind of Holland and team:

their #1 player they were interested in at 18th was Alexander Wennberg. But he did not fall to 18th.
they then decided to trade back a few positions to pick up a 2nd rounder (58th OA - tyler bertuzzi)

With the 20th pick, they planned to take Mantha, and had he been choosen they were also looking at:
Gauthier, theodore and Hartman.

I theorize
Mueller (18th)
Rychel (19th)
were not on their radar

these were the actual draft positions of those players
Mantha (20th)
Gauthier went (21)
theodore went (26)
and Hartmen went (30)

Ad

Upcoming events