Player Talk: Anthony Mantha

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Matthews, Nylander and Marner or GTFO. Basically what I'm saying is we have no interest in trading you what little hope we have on this team to your team full of young promising stars.

Carry on..

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If the Frk-Larkin-Mantha line stays together for most of the season (unlikely) I actually think Mantha's goals will be down. All three of them are shooters moreso than passers, but Mantha is by far the best playmaker of the bunch and will likely be resorting to setting up the other two more often not. Too bad hes not a center, honestly.

Reactions: Leronziia

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the Frk-Larkin-Mantha line stays together for most of the season (unlikely) I actually think Mantha's goals will be down. All three of them are shooters moreso than passers, but Mantha is by far the best playmaker of the bunch and will likely be resorting to setting up the other two more often not. Too bad hes not a center, honestly.

Hopefully there is some more playmaking ability to Larkin than what we have seen so far. But I see what you are saying. If we wanted to try and jack Mantha's goal total, it would be best to play him with Z and/or Nyquist. I don't think this 2nd line of Mantha-Larkin-Frk will stay together long.

I'd go

Tatar-Z-Mantha
Abby-Larkin-Nyquist
Helm-Nielsen-Frk
Booth-Glenny-Riley

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Martin Frk is getting a massive opportunity here in terms of his career. He needs to hit the net a lot more often if he wants to keep this line together. Mantha and Larkin create the kind of space through speed and puck protection that opens up space for Frk. There success albeit in the pre-season did seem a repeatable style of play.

Mantha is the player I am most excited to watch game in and game out on the team this year. I think he will build on his rookie year and not suffer the dreaded Sophmore slump.

Oct 18, 2006
I was a bit of a skeptic of Matha in his early days (even with GR), but I've grown to really admire him and his potential. Definitely the most promising young player within the organisation; certainly see him being a consistent 30 goal scorer in this league. He's really improved his hustle and competitive nature, which is why he's becoming a well-rounded player. Excited to see him develop this season.

Reactions: Christien

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Great game by Mo. The dude just has all the tools. After the slow AHL start and all the criticism I'm glad he's showing his elite talent.

I worry he won't shoot enough this year. Time will tell...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hopefully there is some more playmaking ability to Larkin than what we have seen so far. But I see what you are saying. If we wanted to try and jack Mantha's goal total, it would be best to play him with Z and/or Nyquist. I don't think this 2nd line of Mantha-Larkin-Frk will stay together long.

I'd go

Tatar-Z-Mantha
Abby-Larkin-Nyquist
Helm-Nielsen-Frk
Booth-Glenny-Riley

I like these lines a lot better.

Now that I'm dwelling on it, Mantha actually seems very old-school in his style. He's sort of got the positioning tendencies of Shanahan but the relaxed posture of Hull. He would've been a great protege for them when they were in the Wings locker room and a great asset later on when they had Z/D/Filppula down the middle.

Edit: John Leclair! That's the guy who he's been reminding me of!

Reactions: TheMule93

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I like these lines a lot better.

I debate... Mantha with Z is a better line, but...
Z will inflate Mantha's stats in a contract year. that is always dangerous.

I have no problem paying people what they are worth... but i feel anyone playing with Z and previously (D).... well they are the contracts we complain about the most now.

If Mantha has an amazing year, asks for 6 million (no bridge).... and then doesnt produce without Z... we are really going to regret that.

I know the GM isnt supposed to tell the coach how to play the lines... but i have to imagine its better not to have Mantha's stats be inflated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know the GM isnt supposed to tell the coach how to play the lines... but i have to imagine its better not to have Mantha's stats be inflated.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is completely ridiculous. Maybe the Oilers should have kept McDavid's minutes down too? You don't do this with good players. Period.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I debate... Mantha with Z is a better line, but...
Z will inflate Mantha's stats in a contract year. that is always dangerous.

I have no problem paying people what they are worth... but i feel anyone playing with Z and previously (D).... well they are the contracts we complain about the most now.

If Mantha has an amazing year, asks for 6 million (no bridge).... and then doesnt produce without Z... we are really going to regret that.

Yeah, that stat inflation could be possible, but...

... it's also great as a learning process to play with an Elite thinker like Zetterberg is. Brett Hull teached Pavel Datsyuk how to become the best playmaker of the game. Hull as a superb scorer did knew the best positions to score, he adviced Pavel where to pass and rest is history.

Same could happen with Zetterberg and Mantha. Old dog teaches the kid for good, or even Elite habits. Mantha has the skillset to be both, playmaker or scorer.

Mantha has been possessing driving force since his callup last year. He is a real deal, even without Zetterberg. I'm least worried about his contract.

Mantha will be 1st line player no matter what. Those will get paid. These Tatar's and Nyquist's look just secondary weapons who became overpaid through inflated scoring. Especially Tatar has been horrible at this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad