Player from '05 draft most likely to make quickest impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Overseer*

Any team that plays an '05 draft choice this year is stupid, including Pittsburgh.

There are zero players who wouldn't benefit from a year in the AHL, including Crosby.

Add in the fact that, if you play an '05 pick this year, that player can be a UFA at 25. The Pittsburgh (or any other) organization has to ask itself - would I rather have Crosby (or Staal, or Kopitar, or Latendresse) at 18 years old, or would I rather have him at 26 years old?

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Nilsson Schmilsson said:
Any team that plays an '05 draft choice this year is stupid, including Pittsburgh.

There are zero players who wouldn't benefit from a year in the AHL, including Crosby.

Add in the fact that, if you play an '05 pick this year, that player can be a UFA at 25. The Pittsburgh (or any other) organization has to ask itself - would I rather have Crosby (or Staal, or Kopitar, or Latendresse) at 18 years old, or would I rather have him at 26 years old?

Perhaps thats one angle, but another angle is Pittsburgh has economic issues to consider and maybe cant wait a year to fill the seats, so Crosby stays ;)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Nilsson Schmilsson said:

1) AHL play counts as professional experience and would count towards becoming UFA at 25.

2) '05 draft picks from the CHL are mostly under 20 and therefore ineligible to play in the AHL.

The Overseer*

Seph said:
1) AHL play counts as professional experience and would count towards becoming UFA at 25.

2) '05 draft picks from the CHL are mostly under 20 and therefore ineligible to play in the AHL.

excellent points - replace AHL with "return to junior."

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Staal was terrific last night. Only problem was that he had 3 penalties. He was better than most of the vets. Even surprised me with a huge open ice hit (bs penalty call).

The Rangers signed him today.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Seph said:

Nope. AHL experience does not impact UFA eligibility.

Group III (UFA) eligibility is based on age and "accrued seasons"

Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons; beginning in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement, a player age 27 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent. For purposes of qualifying for unrestricted free agency, the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service.

An "accrued season" is defined as being on an NHL roster for 40 games (30 for goalies).

The AHL counting as "professional experience" is only for Group V free agency (10 years professional experience and earning less than league average salary) and eligibility for arbitration.

But you are correct, 18 or 19 yo players with Junior eligibility left cannot play in the AHL. They either play in the NHL or are returned to Juniors, and once returned they cannot be recalled. Once a players Junior team has finished it's season, though, a player can be assigned to the AHL or recalled to the NHL.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
would have to be staal, just got signed. He's only 18 , so, to young to be on in the farm system. So It looks like he will have to adapt . Lets hope its not another blackburn situation.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
skerbud said:
would have to be staal, just got signed. He's only 18 , so, to young to be on in the farm system. So It looks like he will have to adapt . Lets hope its not another blackburn situation.

Did you see Staal in action the other night? He's not ready. I don't know of any 18-year-old defensemen who are. They take longer to develop and with the crackdown on obstruction, he has to adapt.

He's going back to the OHL. Which is great for me here in Sudbury! :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah staal's not quite ready, but he's close...i expect him to improve even through the preseason here and he may end up looking like he belongs by the end of it

but it's almost a sure thing he' sgoing back to juniors...he may even get a few games with the rangers but unless he's basically playing very well and better than any other guy trying to win that spot, he's going back cuz he's not gonna get a ton of icetime otherwise

in short, unless he truly earns it with his play, showing he's a legit NHLer, he's going back to juniors

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
kdb209 said:
Nope. AHL experience does not impact UFA eligibility.

Group III (UFA) eligibility is based on age and "accrued seasons"

An "accrued season" is defined as being on an NHL roster for 40 games (30 for goalies).

The AHL counting as "professional experience" is only for Group V free agency (10 years professional experience and earning less than league average salary) and eligibility for arbitration.

But you are correct, 18 or 19 yo players with Junior eligibility left cannot play in the AHL. They either play in the NHL or are returned to Juniors, and once returned they cannot be recalled. Once a players Junior team has finished it's season, though, a player can be assigned to the AHL or recalled to the NHL.

Interesting, and good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
I think if Staal continues to show poise they could always give him the 10 games in the NHL to show their appreciation, give him a little bit of a taste, and send him back to juniors happy and wiser for the experience, much like the Islanders did with Gervais the last season we had NHL hockey. Maybe it'll even light a fire under somebody who is sitting down because they were outplayed by a player straight out of juniors, if that actually becomes the case.

All that said, he'll need a bit more size and another year of seasoning should be expected, then maybe a year in the AHL, but I only saw him in one game, so who the hell am I to decide.

:),
Mitch

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not many of them will make an impact this year (hell Crosby will struggle to score 20 goals and 50 points IMO). Next year is a different story, Crosby and Brule will put up numbers as 19 year olds for sure, Bobby Ryan could make an impact in Anaheim as well.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
mitchy22 said:
I think if Staal continues to show poise they could always give him the 10 games in the NHL to show their appreciation, give him a little bit of a taste, and send him back to juniors happy and wiser for the experience, much like the Islanders did with Gervais the last season we had NHL hockey. Maybe it'll even light a fire under somebody who is sitting down because they were outplayed by a player straight out of juniors, if that actually becomes the case.

All that said, he'll need a bit more size and another year of seasoning should be expected, then maybe a year in the AHL, but I only saw him in one game, so who the hell am I to decide.

:),
Mitch

Staal has been returned to the OHL.

HughJass*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Not many of them will make an impact this year (hell Crosby will struggle to score 20 goals and 50 points IMO). Next year is a different story, Crosby and Brule will put up numbers as 19 year olds for sure, Bobby Ryan could make an impact in Anaheim as well.

Don't forget about Jack Johnson :banana:

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
Johnson is likely to only play a year? I was under the impression he was going to play more, possibly even the full four years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Actually Deuce, I wouldn't be surprised that Minnesota waits another year after this year with Pouliot because of our depth and the new free agency rules. Voloshenko might be a year or two away. Olvecky has really impressed the Wild staff. Foy might end up on the team either this year or next year. Then you got the young guns already on the team. Gaborik, Dupuis, Bouchard, Koivu, Veilleux with Rolston and Walz for another year. Add in O'Sullivan either this year or next year and we have some great depth. When is Irmen suppose to be ready? White and Choiunard might be gone but our organization is pretty solid without rushing Pouliot. It all depends on his season this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad