Player Discussion: Sami Vatanen

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Another Ducks fan here, I think Sami will do great for you guys and even though he hasn't played consistently in recent seasons, I think this trade will work as a kick in the ass and he will put more of an effort going forward.

Also came here to share this little story, which I don't think has been shared yet. Just one of the many reasons why Vatanen was well liked by the fans.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I hope he can take one more next step on his career on Devils. His skating is good as hell, good first pass. Look out for his opening passes, they're very sharp n good. Even his shot is pretty good so I think and hope he can take one more step in his game production wise.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I hope he can take one more next step on his career on Devils. His skating is good as hell, good first pass. Look out for his opening passes, they're very sharp n good. Even his shot is pretty good so I think and hope he can take one more step in his game production wise.

Nice to hear regarding his first pass. Adam Larsson was one of the only defensemen we had for a 1-2 year stretch that could make an effective first pass and when we traded him, a significant reason we struggled last season was because we had a roster of defensemen that couldn't get the puck out of the zone.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
The biggest shoes to fill...

upload_2017-12-1_16-17-1.png

Reactions: Darkauron

redrobin

Sep 28, 2017
Finnish national tv yesterday spoke on the phone with Sami about the trade,
Kaupatuksi tullut Vatanen nukkui siirtohetkellä: "Olihan se aikamoinen shokki"

my translation (reduced to what Sami said):
On Thursday morning, Sami Vatanen woke up to a phone call, one that the player most likely will remember for the rest of his life.

- Sure, it was a very different wake-up call, from what I'm used to. I was asleep when the phone rang. Usually I don't answer the phone, but this time I happend to do just that. GM said, you have been traded, and he thanked me for these years. It wasn't much more than that. Of course, it was quite a shock at first - after all, I've spent a number of years in Anaheim.

- When I got 'coffee in my machinery', well, then this day got going on as well. Now we're flying to Colorado, continuing our trip with the new team. Luckily, I had a lot of clothes with me, so I won't have to travel without clothes...

- They [NJ] have a young team, and they've started to get things in order. I'm excited to meet new challenges. I've already talked with them, however not yet about player roles or such. The phone has been ringing this morning, enough for a whole year... What is obvious, is that they're happy to have me.

- This morning got quite confusing. Woke up to the phone call, then I dialled my family in Finland to tell them they can change their tickets for Anaheim. Then I called the GM and a few others in NJ, and started rearranging flights. We'll calmly see, what happens next.

((the article states Sami appeared to be joking around, and being in quite a good mood))

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
having someone of his caliber eating nearly 20 min a night, at least, should really help take pressure off other people

Definitely should make Santini and Severson’s lives easier.

Honestly I thought this game was one of Severson’s best defensively. Too soon to know if the addition of Sami is helping or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
How did he do, did he help you generating offense with opening passes? Or did I jinx it by saying he gives good opening passes before the game :D

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How did he do, did he help you generating offense with opening passes? Or did I jinx it by saying he gives good opening passes before the game :D

He did very well. Honestly I was struck by how responsible he was. Made some good defensive plays, and was able to relieve pressure when we were having issues escaping the zone. Was good on the PK too

He absolutely made some skill passes, and you could just see when watching him on the PP that he will be a huge part of it.

Still needs to settle in and get used to his new team and what we are trying to do, but I’m definitely excited.

Reactions: Arthuros

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah, a lot of people usually don`t realise he is quite good defensively too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad