Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There is no one special in Utica FOR him to play with. This is the point I have made for 4 years. If you expect your prospects to develop, you have to provide them with players to make that possible.

I've been fighting this battle with several Vancouver posters who don't see it that way at all. They think the all the kids signed to a Vancouver contract should all play in the AHL and the AHL vets are only acquired to fill in a blank or two, but the kids should have all of the major roles and the vets bring up the bottom.

Right now it's pretty much an unnecessary discussion since their aren't any real prospects here other than Jake.

Well, there's Demko, but he's a goalie. Oh, and by the way, he is struggling due to the lack of adequate team defense to support him. In fact, they seem to be trying to see just how good he is by giving the opposing teams incredible scoring chances period after period, game after game. It's not intentional. Many of the forwards, in particular, just aren't very good in their own end and the D makes their share of contributions as well.

Future full time Canucks on the current Utica roster:
- probably 1, Demko in a couple years
- Jake if he ever gets his act on course, but right now he's not making much progress
- maybe Subban, but it's a big maybe

That's it. Maybe next year.

Don't worry.

The posters that you're "battling with" are really just lazy posters that don't want to get into the details. They prefer to just generalize because generalizing creates a world that they understand.

Similar type of problem up here in Vancouver for Jake.

Jake needs a guy that'll feed him and we don't have that type of guy. It would have been cool to see McCann become that guy but obviously Jimbo knows best. :nod:

Pairing Bones with Jake would have been an interesting experiment... a veteran C that can point Jake in the right direction (kinda like a radar guided missile).

People drool all over Ehlers but neglect to mention the fact that he's playing with one of the best young centers in the NHL with Mark Scheifele.

And Tkachuk has had the advantage of being paired with a veteran C in Mikael Backlund who at age 27 is coming into his own as a 2C as well as being talked about as a Selke candidate.

Jake has primarily been deployed with Bo as his C and watching them play, I see ZERO chemistry between the two. Frankly, I don't think the two really care for each other.

Bae and Bo are ok to share the puck but Jake and Bo seem like water and oil as both want the puck.

After thinking about this, I think it was the perfect storm for Jake in Vancouver.

Communication issues with WD, mixed messaging from Jimbo and no chemistry with his teammates. Not the best development environment IMO.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
So I was thinking about Virtanen just now and decided to enter his weight and height into a health calculator and it turns out he was actually obese and still might be borderline obese. This has direct implications on his hockey IQ because cognitive function is believed to be negatively impacted by obesity.

This means we can reasonably expect Virtanen's hockey IQ to increase as he loses body fat over the next few years, perhaps even significantly. I'm now back to being very excited about this player.

If any other poster wrote this I would know it's sarcasm, with you though, you're probably actually serious.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There is no one special in Utica FOR him to play with. This is the point I have made for 4 years. If you expect your prospects to develop, you have to provide them with players to make that possible.

I've been fighting this battle with several Vancouver posters who don't see it that way at all. They think the all the kids signed to a Vancouver contract should all play in the AHL and the AHL vets are only acquired to fill in a blank or two, but the kids should have all of the major roles and the vets bring up the bottom.

Right now it's pretty much an unnecessary discussion since their aren't any real prospects here other than Jake.

I don't disagree with your point, but is it due to a lack of effort? I see the Canucks try to sign guys to play in the AHL who have NHL experience to serve as "first callups". You talk about the Comets, in 2013-2014 they had Pelletier, O'Reilly, and Ferriero up front. Are these not quality players? In 2014-2015 they went all the way to the Calder Cup finals. They obviously had a good group. O'Reilly was still there and they signed Jeffrey and Sanguinetti. In 2015-2016 they signed Fedun, Blair Jones, and Cracknell. This season, they signed Chaput, Megna, and Rendulic. They have now also brought Pelletier back.

Ideally, Canucks' "kids" would have all the major roles. But it's not like the team did nothing to try and stock the Comets with the necessary veterans. Megna has a one way contract and Chaput is being paid over $200K to play in the AHL. Like Cracknell, the fact that these guys are playing in the NHL rather than AHL is not exactly the plan. And the Comets brought Pelletier back (is this a coincidence in terms of coinciding with Virtanen staying in Utica?)

I also remember you arguing that Zalewski was so much better than Guance and that us Canucks fans should listen to you Comets fans. Like I said before, it's all about NHL projection.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Well... Z showed a heck of lot more during his 2-3 game call up than Gaunce has shown ... ever.

There was lots of talk of penciling him to be a 4C this season.

Not sure what happened though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That whole thing with Virtanen and McCann last year still burns my butt.....both guys should have been back in junior; key guys in the WJC; and then lighting it up together in Utica this season.

Instead McCann is dumped at the bottom of the market for a depth d-man; and Virtanen struggling to find his game in Utica....very poor asset management of younger players imo.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't disagree with your point, but is it due to a lack of effort? I see the Canucks try to sign guys to play in the AHL who have NHL experience to serve as "first callups". You talk about the Comets, in 2013-2014 they had Pelletier, O'Reilly, and Ferriero up front. Are these not quality players? In 2014-2015 they went all the way to the Calder Cup finals. They obviously had a good group. O'Reilly was still there and they signed Jeffrey and Sanguinetti. In 2015-2016 they signed Fedun, Blair Jones, and Cracknell. This season, they signed Chaput, Megna, and Rendulic. They have now also brought Pelletier back.

Ideally, Canucks' "kids" would have all the major roles. But it's not like the team did nothing to try and stock the Comets with the necessary veterans. Megna has a one way contract and Chaput is being paid over $200K to play in the AHL. Like Cracknell, the fact that these guys are playing in the NHL rather than AHL is not exactly the plan. And the Comets brought Pelletier back (is this a coincidence in terms of coinciding with Virtanen staying in Utica?)

I also remember you arguing that Zalewski was so much better than Guance and that us Canucks fans should listen to you Comets fans. Like I said before, it's all about NHL projection.

To answer both you and Mathonwy, Zalewski suffered a concussion and this year we believe he had another though no one will confirm it. He was down and out when the opposing goalie was waving frantically for help on Novemebr 11. He just returned on 12/30 and looks like a shadow of his former self. That answers that.

Your brilliant remembrance of the 2013-14 and 2014-15 acquisitions will ring as echos of the praise given to Lorne Henning for his work to build a competitive team to comprise the farm for the Canucks.

Note that Pelletier and Ferriero on the 13-14 non playoff team were not re-signed to the team in 14-15. Former AHL All star Cal O'Reilly and former Stanley Cup winning Kent Huskins, who Henning brought in after the start of the 13-14 season became the backbone of the the 14-15 team along with new acquisitions in former AHL All-stars bobby Sanguinetti and Dustin Jeffrey. Lorne rid the team of dead Vancouver weight like Sauve, Mullen, Marshall, etc. and built a team around his recruits and carry over prospects like Jensen, Grenier, DeFazio, Archibald, Friesen, Corrado, and Andersson combined with new prospects Markstrom, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Zalewski, and Kenins. As the season progressed and weaknesses stood out trades were made to acquire Andrey Pedan, Will Acton, Sven Baertschi, Cory Conacher, and later Adam Clendening. That team garbered 3 All stars in Markstrom and repeats for O'Reilly and Sanguinetti.

Two good years in which players went up and down and the Utica roster was well cared for by the executive assigned by the Canucks to oversee the farm so that the team was able to proper in spite of the call-ups and injuries because it had built in depth.

Before the 2015-16 season began Henning was fired. Must be he did a bad job with Calder Cup finalist Utica. Fingers have been pointed but it has never been officially posted as to who actually was in charge of Utica for the past two seasons, but whoever it was/is they have failed miserably at their post.

In 15-16 O'Reilly and Sanguinetti were not re-signed. Conacher sought greener paychecks in Euorpe. Huskins retired. Baertschi, Markstrom, and Biega were promoted to Vancouver. The top prospects no longer rookies were expected to shoulder a heavier load. No argument there.

However, now you want to equate the acquisition of Taylor Fedun to Sanguinetti. Fedun was a decent D-man who actually became the best of what they had but a large downgrade occurred throughout the D-corps. Biega's promotion and Huskins' retirement were combined with Tommernes seeking his release mid season 14-15, Andersson returning to Sweden, and Corrado was lost to waivers. A Huskins type defensive leader, mentor and on ice coach was never attempted to be replaced. No replacement was ever acquired for Biega after he was signed to an NHL contract. So while Fedun was a good player, he couldn't replace the guy he was intended to stand in for and the other D were not up to the standards of any who were lost. Subban was a defensive disaster. Sautner needed to play with Fedun in order to exist. Then they signed 2 AHL PTOs in David Shields and Jon Landry to go along with depth players from the previous season in John Negrin and Travis Ehrhardt to round out the D. For much of the season due to call-ups and injuries at home the Comets D was comprised of Landry, Shields, Ehrhatdt, Negrin, one or the other of Pedan/Fedun, and Subban and Sautner.

Now you also want to equate Blair Jones to O'Reilly and Adam Cracknell to Conacher? Not even close. Shinkaruk was a good fix for Baertschi, but the this began the absence of quality centers in Utica. Vey was the best it got and he was afraid of his own shadow. Then he went up and never returned leaving Gaunce, Freisen, and Zalewski as the best centers in Utica and 2 of them were better players on the wing. Cracknell was no better than a 4th line center either in Utica or Vancouver and was actually better as a checking winger. It didn't matter he went up and never came back. The wingers on this team were abandoned to fend for themselves and try to make due with inferior play makers between them. To add to the travesty they traded Jensen and failed acquire a replacement. Soon they would trump that by trading away the team's top scorer and their only All star and did nothing to attempt to replace him as well. Trading players is a normal event in the lives of players and teams, but replacements are usually acquired in those trades or they find suitable replacements in other ways. Not only did they do neither they gave up draft picks as well.

The Comets were forced to replace the guys they lost and those recalled and those injured with ECHL PTOs. As many as 9 at one time were in the Comets' lineup.

You go ahead and try and tell us what a great job the new Vancouver guys charged to oversee Utica did inreplacing the efforts of Lorne Henning.

During this past summer so many Canucks' fans on this site said that the 2015-16 handling of the Comets was unthinkable and an embarassment to the Vancouver brass. They would surely take strides to protect against such disastrous results in 2016-17.

Let's see. Again the Comets lost their best D-man, this time in the name of Fedun. Re-signing him to be the #2 guy and bringing in a true #1 was the route that should have been followed considering the Canucks had no new defensive prospects to assign here. They signed Billins. A guy who doesn't even qualify as an AHL vet and let Fedun walk to join O'Reilly in Rochester. Billins started the season Okay, then got hurt, and now is not as good as McEneny! He is way to small. Can't handle physicality and therefore can't protect his crease or use his body to keep players from manhandling him in puck battles. Poor signing.

Pelletier was acquired because the Comets had zero quality, let alone high caliber, AHL centers and they let the two who at least could function in the middle go. TJ Hensick, acquired very late in the season in an AHL trade with Charlotte for guess who, Blair Jones, now plays for the AHL Ontario Reign wasn't re-signed by Vancouver despite the fact he had requested his agent seek a contract here. Hensick would have been very valuable depth to hold up the fort with Megna and Chaput gone. Not surprisingly after his performance, they didn't re-sign Friesen either.

Problem with Pelletier is he no longer meets the definition of a top center either. He attended no preseason camp and arrived here out of shape and still isn't at his peak. Top that off with the fact that age has caught up with him and it shows. Asking him to come in here now and successfully assume the role of a #1 center is unrealistic. It would be like Vancouver going out and bringing back Vey to center their second line in terms of the role he can fill. Pascal looks like he will achieve the level of a #2 if he gets back to his top level.

As to Megna and Chaput who were point blank acquired to offer a base for the Comets to build around and then have them spend the season in Vancouver is ludicrous. If they were acquired to serve as the major Vancouver call-ups then the brass should have acquired more depth on the farm. That would have been accomplished by assigning LaPlante, Carcone, and Kunyk to Alaska with Moynihan and passing on signing the likes of Hulak, Roy, and Rendulic and replacing that entire number with some guys who are at least decent AHL level players because none of these guys are.

As to the salary amounts. The Comets have always had guys making this kind of money, but they were worth it. Rendu and Billins are stealing their money again reflecting the guy running this show has no handle on what kind of talent is necessary to win in this league.

I didn't include Stecher in this discussion because he was a new acquisition from the 2016 NCAA champs and his pedigree said he was going to get a look if someone went down in Vancouver. It took 4 games to get him there and we know the rest. He was not acquired for the Comets, so he is not in this conversation.

Anyone who can compare the treatment of the Comets and their acquisitions under Henning in the first 2 seasons and their acquisitions and the ****fest that has surrounded this team under, you tell me who, the last two seasons and see any similarity is blind to put it mildly. You seem to be back slapping the efforts of Canucks management for all 4 seasons. I'll slam their backs right along with you for the first 2 seasons. The last two reveal a total abandonment of the farm. They have ignored their needs in putting the team together both seasons and then failed to provide the in season help that Henning seemed to find in both of seasons once the year was underway. No parent team can take a team from Calder Cup finalists to the last place team in the AHL in less than a season and a 1/2 without totally ignoring their responsibility and they do have a responsibility to that franchise and should have enough common sense to know what that farm team means to them.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That whole thing with Virtanen and McCann last year still burns my butt.....both guys should have been back in junior; key guys in the WJC; and then lighting it up together in Utica this season.

Instead McCann is dumped at the bottom of the market for a depth d-man; and Virtanen struggling to find his game in Utica....very poor asset management of younger players imo.

It was the most badly botched handling of young players I've seen in a very long time. Minnesota with Gillies/Sheppard 7-8 years ago and Chicago with a bunch of guys in the mid-1990s might compare.

You couldn't have screwed the development of those two players up more if you'd tried.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
So I was thinking about Virtanen just now and decided to enter his weight and height into a health calculator and it turns out he was actually obese and still might be borderline obese. This has direct implications on his hockey IQ because cognitive function is believed to be negatively impacted by obesity.

This means we can reasonably expect Virtanen's hockey IQ to increase as he loses body fat over the next few years, perhaps even significantly. I'm now back to being very excited about this player.

Disagree. While neither of them did very much they didn't look out of place either and they brought speed and youth to a lineup sorely in need of both. Jared was one of the better players early in the season and Jake was one of the better players late in the season.

That won't work...

Instead of reactively waiting for Virtanen to increase his IQ through weight loss (which is nonsense), Benning should proactively pump white noise into Virtanen's brain. If Virtanen's brain is able to harness a certain level of white noise, this might improve cognitive and learning capacities, as white noise may be able to supercharge cognitive abilities due to "stochastic resonance" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_resonance). With the right amount of white noise added to a weak signal, some of those frequencies in the white noise could match those in the signal, and resonate. "Stochastic resonance" works with any type of noise, such as sound or vision. The skill is that the noise added to Virtanen's brain would need to be at a certain level, and would involve Benning to be given training to perform such a procedure. Too much noise pumped into Virtanen's head (or too little noise) and this is not going to improve Virtanen's cognitive ability. There would need to be targeted, pulsating bursts of white noise to a very specific area of Virtanen's brain - the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex - the region responsible for problem solving (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsolateral_prefrontal_cortex). With an increase in brain cells in this area, this would result in Virtanen being a better problem solver... waking up the brain cells in this area that is currently in a deep sleep... and thus, improving hockey IQ (and IQ, in general).

To solve Virtanen's obesity problem, I suggest spanx...

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
That won't work...

Instead of reactively waiting for Virtanen to increase his IQ through weight loss (which is nonsense), Benning should proactively pump white noise into Virtanen's brain. If Virtanen's brain is able to harness a certain level of white noise, this might improve cognitive and learning capacities, as white noise may be able to supercharge cognitive abilities due to "stochastic resonance" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochastic_resonance). With the right amount of white noise added to a weak signal, some of those frequencies in the white noise could match those in the signal, and resonate. "Stochastic resonance" works with any type of noise, such as sound or vision. The skill is that the noise added to Virtanen's brain would need to be at a certain level, and would involve Benning to be given training to perform such a procedure. Too much noise pumped into Virtanen's head (or too little noise) and this is not going to improve Virtanen's cognitive ability. There would need to be targeted, pulsating bursts of white noise to a very specific area of Virtanen's brain - the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex - the region responsible for problem solving (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsolateral_prefrontal_cortex). With an increase in brain cells in this area, this would result in Virtanen being a better problem solver... waking up the brain cells in this area that is currently in a deep sleep... and thus, improving hockey IQ (and IQ, in general).

:laugh::handclap:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Well, I don't know.

I get where you guys are coming from and trust me Jake wasn't my first choice (And Ehlers isn't making me change my mind anytime soon).

But I think Jake is already skill wise capable of playing in the NHL he's just very inconsistent & immature.

He needs to mature as a person and a pro, I don't think his skills have gotten worse at all, if anything he's probably rounded out his game a bit as far as defensively and not just being a one trick pony offensively which if I recall was a big gripe for those who followed him in his draft year.

He's either going to mature and put it together or he won't. And I think him learning how to be a pro is whats going to determine his fate, being in Vancouver last year (while he probably benefitted from being around the pro game and learning on ice the difference) probably wasn't the best thing for his maturity, but then again would junior have been much better, who knows.

I think that's what it hinges on for this player and we will see. That's why I say its a marathon not a sprint. He's got skill he just needs to learn to be a pro. And I will say that I think if he doesn't have a better year next year we should look at trading him, but that's just me. I would be surprised if he doesn't though.

From what I have read he really hasn't improved his defensive game all that much. When he was drafted his best attributes were his shot, hitting and speed. His shot isn't that good anymore. He rarely hits anymore. His speed is shown in very small spurts. Jake also hasn't improved other aspects of his game either.

Jake is to blame but also the organization is as well. They handled his development very poorly. I am very confident in saying this but if he doesn't start to show any signs of improvement this year he will almost certainly be a bust.

If you look at his year before he was drafted he really didn't put up good numbers either. I think this is a case of a player producing really well in his draft year. That has been by far his best year too.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
That won't work...

Hey, this is a bully free zone. He's just big boned.

RS47NEm.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Note that Pelletier and Ferriero on the 13-14 non playoff team were not re-signed to the team in 14-15. Former AHL All star Cal O'Reilly and former Stanley Cup winning Kent Huskins, who Henning brought in after the start of the 13-14 season became the backbone of the the 14-15 team along with new acquisitions in former AHL All-stars bobby Sanguinetti and Dustin Jeffrey.

So you agree that the Canucks have tried to stock the farm with quality AHL players? This is counter to your point that the Canucks have not provided their prospects with quality AHL players to play with. Not sure what you want me to note in terms of Pelletier and Ferriero leaving. Pelletier left due to lack of NHL opportunities I believe and Ferriero got more money from another team. Jeffrey and Cracknell were intended replacements and Utica ended up getting Jeffrey and Vey instead. Again, these are quality AHL players no?

Before the 2015-16 season began Henning was fired. Must be he did a bad job with Calder Cup finalist Utica. Fingers have been pointed but it has never been officially posted as to who actually was in charge of Utica for the past two seasons, but whoever it was/is they have failed miserably at their post.

When we last debated, I kept trying to tell you that it's not that us Canucks fans ignore what you Comets fans are saying. We greatly appreciate your insights, but at the end of the day, all we care about is NHL projection and performance. If the Comets were churning out NHL players while losing every single game, most Canucks fans would be incredibly happy and would praise its coach for being good at development. I know it sucks from your perspective, but this is a point that you don't seem to get. It's nothing personal and as I have pointed out, the Comets not winning isn't due to a lack of effort from the Canucks. Every year, the Canucks have invested in guys they expect to spend most of the year in Utica.

Henning's firing likely had nothing to do with how he ran the Comets alongside Conacher. It's the way it is. Henning was fired because of his capacity as the Canucks AGM who was hired by the previous regime. The assistant GM being in charge of the AHL team alongside the AHL team's GM/director of hockey operations is pretty much a matter of course and an afterthought. I have never heard of an AGM being fired for their inability to build a winning AHL team. The goal really is player development.

In 15-16 O'Reilly and Sanguinetti were not re-signed. Conacher sought greener paychecks in Euorpe. Huskins retired. Baertschi, Markstrom, and Biega were promoted to Vancouver. The top prospects no longer rookies were expected to shoulder a heavier load. No argument there.

However, now you want to equate the acquisition of Taylor Fedun to Sanguinetti...

I'm not equating anything. Again, you're assuming that the Canucks' goal is to make the Comets into a Calder Cup winner. They are not. You really need to get this through your head. These veterans you speak of signed because the Canucks gave them good money to play in the AHL and potentially a chance to play in the NHL. The guys that the Canucks didn't re-sign didn't get enough NHL opportunity and they were paid more money by another team. Take Cal O'Reilly and Sanguinetti. They didn't get a chance to play with the Canucks at all. From the Canucks perspective, why pay them all that money just to be a star in Utica? From the players' perspective, why not try their luck with another team while being paid more to play in the AHL? Those veterans keep moving around because their biggest concern at their stage in life is money and NHL opportunities. As for Conacher, he was a rental/AHL trade.

And Jensen? The Canucks replaced his 4 goals and 12 points with Chris Higgins. :laugh:

You go ahead and try and tell us what a great job the new Vancouver guys charged to oversee Utica did inreplacing the efforts of Lorne Henning.

That was never my argument. You said you've been arguing the same point for 4 years which meant that even when Henning was here you had the same issue.

During this past summer so many Canucks' fans on this site said that the 2015-16 handling of the Comets was unthinkable and an embarassment to the Vancouver brass. They would surely take strides to protect against such disastrous results in 2016-17.

You mean fans who can't say anything nice about the current management? Where is the embarassment coming from? I more often hear Canucks fans complaining that the Canucks didn't recall their prospects from the AHL sooner. They didn't like the fact that the Canucks only played their prospects when injuries forced their hand.

Let's see. Again the Comets lost their best D-man, this time in the name of Fedun. Re-signing him to be the #2 guy and bringing in a true #1 was the route that should have been followed considering the Canucks had no new defensive prospects to assign here. They signed Billins. A guy who doesn't even qualify as an AHL vet and let Fedun walk to join O'Reilly in Rochester. Billins started the season Okay, then got hurt, and now is not as good as McEneny! He is way to small. Can't handle physicality and therefore can't protect his crease or use his body to keep players from manhandling him in puck battles. Poor signing.

You are missing the part about Stecher being expected to start his career in the AHL? Was he not expected to be a good addition to the Comets? And in Billins' last go around in the AHL he did put up 10 goals and 41 points. Again, there isn't a lack of effort here.

Again, I really don't mean to be mean. But Canucks fans don't care about what you just described. Most of us don't exactly want the Canucks to sign AHL stars if they aren't good callup options. For example, if O'Reilly is going to play 0 games for the Canucks, the Canucks might as well sign a lesser AHL player who can and would play some games for the Canucks. T

Pelletier was acquired because the Comets had zero quality, let alone high caliber, AHL centers

Right. So you argue that Virtanen has no one to play with. The Comets then sign Pelletier around the same time Virtanen was expected to spend some time in Utica.

As to Megna and Chaput who were point blank acquired to offer a base for the Comets to build around and then have them spend the season in Vancouver is ludicrous. If they were acquired to serve as the major Vancouver call-ups then the brass should have acquired more depth on the farm.

Huh? Seriously you're missing the point. Megna and Chaput were acquired to be NHL depth (i.e. veteran first callups) first and AHL contributors second. They were expected to spend most of the year in Utica and be big contributors there. Again, the goal is player development NOT winning the AHL Calder Cup. Don't forget the Canucks also signed Rendulic (who has been a disappointment). The Canucks SHOULDN'T be using too many contract slots on AHL veterans who at this point in their careers have zero NHL upside.

I didn't include Stecher in this discussion because he was a new acquisition from the 2016 NCAA champs and his pedigree said he was going to get a look if someone went down in Vancouver. It took 4 games to get him there and we know the rest. He was not acquired for the Comets, so he is not in this conversation.

That's just BS and you know it. If you did a poll of Comets fans and Canucks fans, I bet a huge majority expected Stecher to spend at least half a season in Utica if not more. You ask Canucks fans and NOBODY expected Stecher to be this good this early.

The last two reveal a total abandonment of the farm. They have ignored their needs in putting the team together both seasons and then failed to provide the in season help that Henning seemed to find in both of seasons once the year was underway. No parent team can take a team from Calder Cup finalists to the last place team in the AHL in less than a season and a 1/2 without totally ignoring their responsibility and they do have a responsibility to that franchise and should have enough common sense to know what that farm team means to them.

This is silly. Did Toronto abandon their farm team this season? Didn't the Crunch go from Cup finals to missing the playoffs the next two seasons? Didn't the IceCaps go to the Finals only to miss the playoffs the next season? And I believe "in season help" is the responsibility of Pat Conacher. Also, didn't Subban get "rested"? Again. The goal is to develop players who would one day be NHL players. The goal isn't to win the AHL Calder Cup.

You have my sympathies. It sucks to be fans of a farm team. The better a player plays the more likely that player gets poached by the parent team.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
That won't work...

The Rock is obese according to BMI. Maybe those two can work out together to get fit like the rest of us?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
So you agree that the Canucks have tried to stock the farm with quality AHL players? This is counter to your point that the Canucks have not provided their prospects with quality AHL players to play with. Not sure what you want me to note in terms of Pelletier and Ferriero leaving. Pelletier left due to lack of NHL opportunities I believe and Ferriero got more money from another team. Jeffrey and Cracknell were intended replacements and Utica ended up getting Jeffrey and Vey instead. Again, these are quality AHL players no?

When we last debated, I kept trying to tell you that it's not that us Canucks fans ignore what you Comets fans are saying. We greatly appreciate your insights, but at the end of the day, all we care about is NHL projection and performance. If the Comets were churning out NHL players while losing every single game, most Canucks fans would be incredibly happy and would praise its coach for being good at development. I know it sucks from your perspective, but this is a point that you don't seem to get. It's nothing personal and as I have pointed out, the Comets not winning isn't due to a lack of effort from the Canucks. Every year, the Canucks have invested in guys they expect to spend most of the year in Utica.

Henning's firing likely had nothing to do with how he ran the Comets alongside Conacher. It's the way it is. Henning was fired because of his capacity as the Canucks AGM who was hired by the previous regime. The assistant GM being in charge of the AHL team alongside the AHL team's GM/director of hockey operations is pretty much a matter of course and an afterthought. I have never heard of an AGM being fired for their inability to build a winning AHL team. The goal really is player development.

I'm not equating anything. Again, you're assuming that the Canucks' goal is to make the Comets into a Calder Cup winner. They are not. You really need to get this through your head. These veterans you speak of signed because the Canucks gave them good money to play in the AHL and potentially a chance to play in the NHL. The guys that the Canucks didn't re-sign didn't get enough NHL opportunity and they were paid more money by another team. Take Cal O'Reilly and Sanguinetti. They didn't get a chance to play with the Canucks at all. From the Canucks perspective, why pay them all that money just to be a star in Utica? From the players' perspective, why not try their luck with another team while being paid more to play in the AHL? Those veterans keep moving around because their biggest concern at their stage in life is money and NHL opportunities. As for Conacher, he was a rental/AHL trade.

And Jensen? The Canucks replaced his 4 goals and 12 points with Chris Higgins. :laugh:

That was never my argument. You said you've been arguing the same point for 4 years which meant that even when Henning was here you had the same issue.

You mean fans who can't say anything nice about the current management? Where is the embarassment coming from? I more often hear Canucks fans complaining that the Canucks didn't recall their prospects from the AHL sooner. They didn't like the fact that the Canucks only played their prospects when injuries forced their hand.

You are missing the part about Stecher being expected to start his career in the AHL? Was he not expected to be a good addition to the Comets? And in Billins' last go around in the AHL he did put up 10 goals and 41 points. Again, there isn't a lack of effort here.

Again, I really don't mean to be mean. But Canucks fans don't care about what you just described. Most of us don't exactly want the Canucks to sign AHL stars if they aren't good callup options. For example, if O'Reilly is going to play 0 games for the Canucks, the Canucks might as well sign a lesser AHL player who can and would play some games for the Canucks. T

Right. So you argue that Virtanen has no one to play with. The Comets then sign Pelletier around the same time Virtanen was expected to spend some time in Utica.

Huh? Seriously you're missing the point. Megna and Chaput were acquired to be NHL depth (i.e. veteran first callups) first and AHL contributors second. They were expected to spend most of the year in Utica and be big contributors there. Again, the goal is player development NOT winning the AHL Calder Cup. Don't forget the Canucks also signed Rendulic (who has been a disappointment). The Canucks SHOULDN'T be using too many contract slots on AHL veterans who at this point in their careers have zero NHL upside.

That's just BS and you know it. If you did a poll of Comets fans and Canucks fans, I bet a huge majority expected Stecher to spend at least half a season in Utica if not more. You ask Canucks fans and NOBODY expected Stecher to be this good this early.

This is silly. Did Toronto abandon their farm team this season? Didn't the Crunch go from Cup finals to missing the playoffs the next two seasons? Didn't the IceCaps go to the Finals only to miss the playoffs the next season? And I believe "in season help" is the responsibility of Pat Conacher. Also, didn't Subban get "rested"? Again. The goal is to develop players who would one day be NHL players. The goal isn't to win the AHL Calder Cup.

You have my sympathies. It sucks to be fans of a farm team. The better a player plays the more likely that player gets poached by the parent team.

This is such a long post and you were wrong on your first sentence so definitely not reading the rest of it.

BG is a lifelong Comet fan, you presumably don't watch the AHL and are talking out your ass, why? Who knows.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ehlers with another two goal, one assist game....basically shredded the Bolts in last night's game....it could be depressing to watch for a long time.:(

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Ehlers with another two goal, one assist game....basically shredded the Bolts in last night's game....it could be depressing to watch for a long time.:(

until we have a Schiefele and a Laine to pair him up with, I think its moot to pay so much attention to the offensive exploits of Ehlers. so many what ifs?? in life.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Get over it. You can do that with literally every pick you don't hit a star player with.....KKKOOOPPPITTTARRRR!

We could have had:
Parayko-Gaunce
Severson-Mallett
Saad-Jensen
O'Reilly-Schroeder
Karlsson-Hodgson
Perron-White
Giroux-Grabner
Kopitar-Bourdon

Jake will get it together....he'll be our Dustin Brown hopefully without the horrible contract.
And lol at that picture....not very flattering at all.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I disagree with almost everything you are saying on this. As someone else has pointed out you are basically hoping Virtanen is the exception to the rule (a player's whose development stalls for 3 years after being drafted but then takes off developmentally). It is possible you are correct, it is just extremely unlikely.

The bolded is entirely incorrect, however. Virtanen was poor in training camp and the pre-season last year. Never have I seen a less deserving young player make the Canucks.

Just thought I would point out I think we screwed up some of that development ourselves, so we definitely deserve some credit there. You can even see his regression in the WJC play he had.

That won't work...

Well done.

The Rock is obese according to BMI. Maybe those two can work out together to get fit like the rest of us?

This is what I was going to point out too. That muscle ways more than fat... but no it must just contribute to his dumbness... that makes sense.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Get over it. You can do that with literally every pick you don't hit a star player with.....KKKOOOPPPITTTARRRR!

We could have had:
Parayko-Gaunce
Severson-Mallett
Saad-Jensen
O'Reilly-Schroeder
Karlsson-Hodgson
Perron-White
Giroux-Grabner
Kopitar-Bourdon

Jake will get it together....he'll be our Dustin Brown hopefully without the horrible contract.
And lol at that picture....not very flattering at all.

Problem is Brown tore up the AHL

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why are you so quick to dismiss scientific research suggesting that obesity impairs cognitive function? How many of history's greatest minds were obese? There's good evidence to show that Virtanen's IQ can be increased via weight loss.

Not dismissing your stochastic resonance theory but has there been any scientific research done to verify your claims? Or was this a thinly veiled advertisement for another canucks message board?

I can't disagree with your discovery that Virtanen is obese.

They definitely are doing the right thing to send him to Utica, away from the Canucks' training staff who oversaw his diet and training all summer and allowed him to put not only his hockey career, but his basic health in danger.

Really have to question the aptitude of a management team that continues to employ a training and nutrition staff that encourages a young player to risk their career like this, and I'm glad you've brought this troubling information to light.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad