Player discussion: Green & Daley

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I know it's not much to go on, but Daley looks real solid. Assuming he stays close to the current level of play, I was wrong about the contract. Great job Holland (that hurt to type).

I don't know if I think he's great because the rest of the D (minus Green) is trash, or if he's the real deal, so I'd like to hear what others think.

To add a little flavor, would you guys trade both him and Green if they could return 1st round picks (plus extras) in 2018? I'm all for it, I doubt that happens, but I'm all about making room for the youth.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Trading them both might get us picks, but man will we suck for a long time. Both Kronwall and Ericsson will be gone within three years or less. Without green and Daley, that leaves us with a top pair of DDK and XO assuming none of our prospects pan out.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd be down to trade both this TDL, but KH isn't letting go of Daley until maybe his last season.

They've both been great, Daley has proven to be a really good signing.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Great is a stretch for Daley, he's still a #4 playing in a #1 spot. But still doing better at it than I would have predicted.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I know it's not much to go on, but Daley looks real solid. Assuming he stays close to the current level of play, I was wrong about the contract. Great job Holland (that hurt to type).

I don't know if I think he's great because the rest of the D (minus Green) is trash, or if he's the real deal, so I'd like to hear what others think.

To add a little flavor, would you guys trade both him and Green if they could return 1st round picks (plus extras) in 2018? I'm all for it, I doubt that happens, but I'm all about making room for the youth.

Not impressed with Daley.
Very impressed with Green's play -- offensively. Defensively, he's had a couple of stinkers.

I trade Green because he'll fetch something.
I don't think Daley has much value.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Not impressed with Daley.
Very impressed with Green's play -- offensively. Defensively, he's had a couple of stinkers.

I trade Green because he'll fetch something.
I don't think Daley has much value.

Daley isn't as flash, but he's so involved in everything that he really dictates the play.

Green jumps the play like a 'diet Paul Coffey'. There is no denying how good he is, but I think the two bring different value.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Great is a stretch for Daley, he's still a #4 playing in a #1 spot. But still doing better at it than I would have predicted.

Well, he's doing a far better job than DeKeyser in the same spot, and he's doing it at a far reduced price. That makes him marketable. If the Smith trade showed us anything, it's that teams will pay for marginal D at the deadline. He's 3 times the player Smith was, so I'd like to see what he might return in a good draft year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well, he's doing a far better job than DeKeyser in the same spot, and he's doing it at a far reduced price. That makes him marketable. If the Smith trade showed us anything, it's that teams will pay for marginal D at the deadline. He's 3 times the player Smith was, so I'd like to see what he might return in a good draft year.

-2 tonight and god awful. He's a #4 playing in a #1 slot. He showed it tonight.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Food for thought, if we trade Green and Daley away, our kids are going to be playing 3v5 constantly. Are they going to develop well if they are chasing the puck constantly and nobody on the back end can give them a decent pass?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Food for thought, if we trade Green and Daley away, our kids are going to be playing 3v5 constantly. Are they going to develop well if they are chasing the puck constantly and nobody on the back end can give them a decent pass?

In free agency, you sign a couple vets to steady the boat next season.

Here's the other thing.
Saarijarvi is playing in freakin Toledo this year.

Mike Green
Danny Dekeyser
Niklas Kronwall
Trevor Daley
Jonathan Ericsson
Xavier Ouellet
Nick Jensen
--------
McIlrath
Renouf
Hickets
Sproul
Lashoff
Russo
Hronek
----
Saarijarvi

We need to get Saarijarvi up to the AHL.
Next year, Dennis Cholowski and possibly Jordan Sambrook join the team. So the AHL needs the room..
If we trade Green, I'd say just go with what you've got next year unless you can trade for a good young defenseman.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Out of Detroit's defense, I would trade:

Green
Daley
Sproul
Russo

I listed the players that have/might have value.

I do think Holland should make a deal to alleviate the logjam.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Green has been awesome. Definitely more defensive mishaps this year than last but he's putting up points so well that I don't mind. I'd absolutely trade him at the TDL, preferably earlier but Holland will wait until then. We should get a first...possibly even more with the way Green is playing.

Daley's been fine. He's playing in a spot way above his head but looking functional at least. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy. I'd trade him in a heartbeat, but once again I don't think Holland will until maybe the last year of his deal. I'm fine with him sticking around if only so there's a competent D left after Green gets moved... Green better be traded.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Out of Detroit's defense, I would trade:

Green
Daley
Sproul
Russo

I listed the players that have/might have value.

I do think Holland should make a deal to alleviate the logjam.

No one is giving up anything for Sproul or Russo. Sproul just cleared waivers a few weeks ago.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I seem to be in the minority, but as far trading Green at the TDL goes, I'd rather the Red Wings get back something other than a 1st rounder...

If Green moves to a playoff team for a 1st, the returning pick likely falls in the #20-31 range. I honestly have no confidence in the Red Wings management selecting anything worthwhile with that pick. I'd rather see them get a couple of decent prospects back that are further along in their development and close to competing for NHL roles in the next couple seasons. To me that seems more valuable than getting a pick that will bring in a player that's maybe 5 years away from the NHL and could just turn into another Kindl, Smith, Sheahan or McCollum...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I seem to be in the minority, but as far trading Green at the TDL goes, I'd rather the Red Wings get back something other than a 1st rounder...

If Green moves to a playoff team for a 1st, the returning pick likely falls in the #20-31 range. I honestly have no confidence in the Red Wings management selecting anything worthwhile with that pick. I'd rather see them get a couple of decent prospects back that are further along in their development and close to competing for NHL roles in the next couple seasons. To me that seems more valuable than getting a pick that will bring in a player that's maybe 5 years away from the NHL and could just turn into another Kindl, Smith, Sheahan or McCollum...

The problem with taking back prospects is that they're unlikely to have much upside. They might come in and fight for a roster spot, if there is a roster spot, but we're not likely to hit on something like the Niewendyk for Iginla trade from 20 years ago. While there is arguably more room for bust with a late 1st, there's also the possibility of a much higher hit. Right now, I think this team needs that higher hit than a more certain mid-lineup guy.

If you do want to pull a player back in, the best way to do it may still be dealing Green for that first rounder. We can then turn around, package that 1st and go after another player elsewhere.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
The problem with taking back prospects is that they're unlikely to have much upside. They might come in and fight for a roster spot, if there is a roster spot, but we're not likely to hit on something like the Niewendyk for Iginla trade from 20 years ago. While there is arguably more room for bust with a late 1st, there's also the possibility of a much higher hit. Right now, I think this team needs that higher hit than a more certain mid-lineup guy.

If you do want to pull a player back in, the best way to do it may still be dealing Green for that first rounder. We can then turn around, package that 1st and go after another player elsewhere.

Completely agree.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Trading them both might get us picks, but man will we suck for a long time. Both Kronwall and Ericsson will be gone within three years or less. Without green and Daley, that leaves us with a top pair of DDK and XO assuming none of our prospects pan out.

If none of the prospects pan out, we're on the way to sucking for a long time regardless of who's playing the blueline in the short term future.

Reactions: Winger98

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly Daley has been much better than I thought he was, and in all fairness to Holland, Daley wasn't signed becuase they thought he was a number 1, he was signed for depth. For what he is, he has played quite strong, and has really helped keep the puck moving on our backend. I think we have been stuck in our zone so far, a lot less than last year, and I think he has been a big reason why. Now we have him and Green and who can at least get the puck out of our zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad