Speculation: Player Bonus'

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I've read that there's potential 4 million in bonus' that could be paid out this season.

Is this truly the maximum? What if Scheifele won the Art Ross? Trouba the Norris? Mason the Vezina? Connor the Calder?

What if the Jets made a run to the cup final with a Jet winning the Conn Smythe?

Is there any scenario that could place the total bonus amount higher than 4 million?

I'm curious if we actually have any cap space left if a best case scenario unfolded & a dream season occurred.

The line-up I posted in the roster thread amounts to a $66,836,666 cap hit with $4,850,000 in potential bonus', so there should be $3.5 million in space available.

Chicago's cup win back in 2009-2010 resulted in the loss of Byfuglien & Ladd. I'd hate for us to find ourselves in trouble should we finally find success this year.

Feel free to move this thread, I didn't find a recent cap related thread I could have added this to.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/429593

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've read that there's potential 4 million in bonus' that could be paid out this season.

Is this truly the maximum? What if Scheifele won the Art Ross? Trouba the Norris? Mason the Vezina? Connor the Calder?

What if the Jets made a run to the cup final with a Jet winning the Conn Smythe?

Is there any scenario that could place the total bonus amount higher than 4 million?

I'm curious if we actually have any cap space left if a best case scenario unfolded & a dream season occurred.

The line-up I posted in the roster thread amounts to a $66,836,666 cap hit with $4,850,000 in potential bonus', so there should be $3.5 million in space available.

Chicago's cup win back in 2009-2010 resulted in the loss of Byfuglien & Ladd. I'd hate for us to find ourselves in trouble should we finally find success this year.

Feel free to move this thread, I didn't find a recent cap related thread I could have added this to.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/edit/429593

Only players on ElC's and older players with certain conditions are eligible for bonuses.

Laine is the big contributor. If he finishes top 10 in goals or points I think he gets an additional 1.8 million.

Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey and Connor I think are all eligible to get an extra 500 or so k if they hit certain performance targets like games played etc..

We could theoretically have more if Petan goes gangbusters or Roslovic makes it full time and hits his. Still I'd imagine at most we pay $5 million in bonuses.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You misunderstanding what bonuses are. Bonuses that count against cap are limited to ELC players, 35+ players, or players signing new deals coming off long injury absences. So Scheifele winning Art Ross would not affect the cap in any way since he is not on an ELC, etc.

The potential bonuses for Jets that have a chance at the roster are (note this on top of their salary)...

RW Patrik Laine - 2.65 million
RW Nik Ehlers - 0.85 million
LW Kyle Connor - 0.85 million
LD Josh Morrisey - 0.50 million
C Jack Roslovic - 0.21 million

Note while Schedule A Bonuses can be for easy to get things like games player, Schedule B bonuses are generally about finishing top 10 in things like points, goals, etc, or winning individual awards like Rocket or Art Ross. Schedule A bonuses are limited to 850K iirc, and the Schedule B bonuses are limited to 1.8 million.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Only Laine has Sked B bonuses in his contract. The max allowable Sked B bonus is $2.0M. Normally only the #1pick overall signs a max contract. Laine's potential is $1.8M + $850k Sked A bonus.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You misunderstanding what bonuses are. Bonuses that count against cap are limited to ELC players, 35+ players, or players signing new deals coming off long injury absences. So Scheifele winning Art Ross would not affect the cap in any way since he is not on an ELC, etc.

The potential bonuses for Jets that have a chance at the roster are (note this on top of their salary)...

Note while Schedule A Bonuses can be for easy to get things like games player, Schedule B bonuses are generally about finishing top 10 in things like points, goals, etc, or winning individual awards like Rocket or Art Ross. Schedule A bonuses are limited to 850K iirc, and the Schedule B bonuses are limited to 1.8 million.

Wasn't it Toews winning the Conn Smythe that tipped Chigago over the edge in 2009-2010?

As I recall thats how the media portrayed this.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wasn't it Toews winning the Conn Smythe that tipped Chigago over the edge in 2009-2010?

As I recall thats how the media portrayed this.

Yes because Toews was on an ELC with huge Schedule B bonuses that kicked in because he won that trophy. Kane also hit a bunch of Schedule B bonuses that year as well. Since Chicago had been right at the cap all those bonuses rolled over to the next year.

For the Jets, only Laine could that happen to with the big Schedule B bonuses. However since Jets will have more cap room than potential bonuses to pay out, none of that money will end up rolling over, even if Laine hits all his Schedule B bonuses (which is unlikely).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes because Toews was on an ELC with huge Schedule B bonuses that kicked in because he won that trophy. Kane also hit a bunch of Schedule B bonuses that year as well. Since Chicago had been right at the cap all those bonuses rolled over to the next year.

For the Jets, only Laine could that happen to with the big Schedule B bonuses. However since Jets will have more cap room than potential bonuses to pay out, none of that money will end up rolling over, even if Laine hits all his Schedule B bonuses (which is unlikely).

Can you find a list of schedule A & B bonuses for individual players listed anywhere?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ah, sorry: not sure about that KB.

Yeah, I've never seen the exact bonuses listed anywhere. It would be a real interesting thing to see. Things I have heard are top 10 in goals/points and in top 3 for major awards for schedule B. While the easier schedule A ones are milestone ones like getting 20 goals or playing X amount of games.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, I've never seen the exact bonuses listed anywhere. It would be a real interesting thing to see. Things I have heard are top 10 in goals/points and in top 3 for major awards for schedule B. While the easier schedule A ones are milestone ones like getting 20 goals.

The CBA lists what the bonuses might potentially be. As for a breakdown for each player as to which bonuses they have in their contract I have never seen it.

Here's schedule A

(a) Forwards
(i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game). Player must be among top
six (6) forwards on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games
played by Player and comparison group). (Note: an Entry Level
SPC may contain bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice
time; however, the maximum aggregate amount the Player may
receive on account of the ice time category is $212,500.)
(ii) Goals: 20 Goal Minimum
(iii) Assists: 35 Assist Minimum
(iv) Points: 60 Point Minimum
(v) Points Per Game: .73 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42
Regular Season Games played)
(vi) Plus-Minus Rating: Among top three (3) forwards on the Club
(minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and
comparison group).
EXHIBIT 5
(vii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team
(viii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(ix) NHL All-Star Game MVP
(b) Defensemen
(i) Ice time (aggregate and/or per Game). Player must be among top four (4)
defensemen on the Club (minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by
Player and comparison group). (Note: an Entry Level SPC may contain
bonuses for both aggregate and per Game ice time; however, the
maximum aggregate amount the Player may receive on account of the ice
time category is $212,500.)
(ii) Goals: 10 Goal Minimum
(iii) Assists: 25 Assist Minimum
(iv) Points: 40 Point Minimum
(v) Points Per Game: .49 Points Per Game Minimum (minimum 42 Regular
Season Games played)
(vi) Plus-Minus Rating: Among top three (3) defensemen on the Club
(minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison
group).
(vii) Blocked Shots: Among top two (2) defensemen on the Club (minimum
42 Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group).
(viii) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team
(ix) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(x) NHL All-Star Game MVP
(c) Goaltenders
(i) Minutes Played: 1,800 minutes minimum
(ii) GAA: GAA median GAA of all goaltenders who played 25 or
more Regular Season Games. (If there is an even number of these
goaltenders, the median will be the average of the two middle values.)
(25 Game minimum, 30 minute minimum*)
(iii) Save %: Save %  median save % of all goaltenders who played 25 or
more Regular Season Games. (If there is an even number of these
EXHIBIT 5
goaltenders, the median will be the average of the two middle values.)
(25 Game minimum, 30 minute minimum*)
(iv) Wins: 20 (Player must be goaltender of record, 30 minute minimum*)
(v) Shutouts: Shutouts  median number of shutouts of all goaltenders who
played 25 or more Regular Season Games. (If there is an even number of
these goaltenders, the median will be the average of the two middle
values.) (30 minute minimum*)
(vi) End-of-Season NHL All-Rookie Team
(vii) NHL All-Star Game (selected to play or plays)
(viii) NHL All-Star Game MVP
* If a Goaltender is replaced for an extra attacker, those minutes shall count.

Here's Schedule B

(a) League-wide Awards/Trophies. The following are the only awards or trophies
for which Clubs and Players may negotiate bonuses: the Hart Memorial Trophy
("Hart"), the "Rocket" Richard Trophy ("Richard"), the Vezina Trophy
("Vezina"), the William Jennings Trophy ("Jennings"), the Norris Trophy
("Norris"), the Conn Smythe ("Conn Smythe"), and the Frank J. Selke Trophy
("Selke"). In the event that the National Hockey League creates additional
EXHIBIT 5
award(s) of like stature in the future, Clubs may award bonuses to Players in
connection therewith.
(i) A Player who finishes among the top five (5) in balloting for the
Hart, Norris, Vezina, Selke, Richard or any new award of like
stature created in the future shall receive the following bonus
amounts:
Winner $250,000
2nd
$200,000
3rd
$150,000
4th
$100,000
5th
$50,000
(ii) A Player who finishes among the top three (3) in balloting for the
Lady Byng shall receive the following bonus amounts (no
individually negotiated "excess" allowed):
Winner $150,000
2nd
$100,000
3rd
$50,000
(iii) A Player who wins the Jennings shall receive the following bonus
amounts (if there are co-winners, each goaltender shall receive a
pro rata share of $50,000):
Winner $50,000
(iv) A Player who finishes among the top three (3) in balloting for the
Calder shall receive the following bonus amounts (no individually
negotiated "excess" allowed):
Winner $212,500
2nd
$150,000
3rd
$100,000
(v) A Player who is named to the official NHL All-Star Team at the
conclusion of each season shall receive the following bonus
amounts:
1st
Team All-Star $100,000
2nd
Team All-Star $50,000
(vi) A Player who wins the Conn Smythe shall receive $250,000.
(b) League Performance Bonuses:
EXHIBIT 5
(i) A forward who finishes among the top ten (10) forwards in the
League in goals, assists, points or points per Game (Minimum 42
Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group)
shall receive the following bonus amounts:
Goals, Assists, Points Points Per Game
Winner $150,000 Winner $100,000
2nd
$140,000 2nd
$90,000
3rd
$130,000 3rd
$80,000
4th
$120,000 4th
$70,000
5th
$110,000 5th
$60,000
6th
$100,000 6th
$50,000
7th
$90,000 7th
$40,000
8th
$80,000 8th
$30,000
9th
$70,000 9th
$20,000
10th
$60,000 10th
$10,000
(ii) A defenseman who finishes among the top ten (10) defensemen in
the League in goals, assists, points, points per Game (Minimum 42
Regular Season Games played by Player and comparison group) or
ice time among defensemen (aggregate and/or per Game.
Minimum 42 Regular Season Games played by Player and
comparison group) shall receive the following bonus amounts:
Goals, Assists, Points Ice Time, Points Per
Game
Winner $150,000 Winner $100,000
2nd
$140,000 2nd
$90,000
3rd
$130,000 3rd
$80,000
4th
$120,000 4th
$70,000
5th
$110,000 5th
$60,000
6th
$100,000 6th
$50,000
7th
$90,000 7th
$40,000
8th
$80,000 8th
$30,000
9th
$70,000 9th
$20,000
10th
$60,000 10th
$10,000
Note: Although a Player is eligible for both the aggregate and per
Game ice time bonus, the maximum aggregate amount the Player
may receive on account of the ice time category in League paid
bonuses is $100,000.
(iii) A goaltender who finishes among the top five (5) goaltenders in
the League in goals against average (25 Game minimum, 30
minute minimum), save % (25 Game minimum, 30 minute
EXHIBIT 5
minimum) or wins (30 minute minimum, goaltender of record)
shall receive the following bonus amounts:
Winner $150,000
2nd
$140,000
3rd
$130,000
4th
$120,000
5th
$110,000

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The CBA lists what the bonuses might potentially be. As for a breakdown for each player as to which bonuses they have in their contract I have never seen it.

Here's schedule A

Here's Schedule B

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I'd love to see what each of the Jets had in their contracts. And since we are safe from overages I'd love to be able to cheer for our kids to reach their bonuses.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Generalfanager had a very detailed reporting of how Panarin's bonuses were structured. I pasted this from a previous post.

It's the only time I've ever seen player ELC bonuses disclosed in this detail.

$225,000 in Games Played bonuses in 2015-16. Games Played bonuses: $25,000 for 5 GP, $200,000 for 10 GP. $850,000 Schedule A bonuses, $1,725,000 in Schedule B bonuses in both 2015-16 and 2016-17. Schedule A bonuses (max $850,000): $212,500 for any of the following achievements - top 6 forward on team in ice time (total or average, min 42GP), 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, top 3 forward on team in +/- (min 42GP), 0.73 points per game (min 42GP), All Rookie team, All Star game, All Star game MVP. Schedule B bonuses (max $1,725,000): $1,725,000 for any of the following achievements - top 10 forward in the league in goals/assists/points/points per game (min 42GP), top 5 in league in Hart/Selke/Richard voting, NHL First or Second team all star, Conn Smythe

Link no longer works but this is where the info came from

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/2097

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Are there bonuses that do not count towards the cap? In your Scheifele example, does he get anything other than bragging rights?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Are there bonuses that do not count towards the cap? In your Scheifele example, does he get anything other than bragging rights?

Yes, I believe that the league pays out bonuses for certain achievements as well. Laine got a bonus paid by the NHL (which does not count against the cap) for finishing top-3 in Calder Trophy voting.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Yes, I believe that the league pays out bonuses for certain achievements as well. Laine got a bonus paid by the NHL (which does not count against the cap) for finishing top-3 in Calder Trophy voting.

No. The money Laine received was part of his ELC schedule B bonuses. players on "regular" contracts receive no additional bonuses for award wins.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
No. The money Laine received was part of his ELC schedule B bonuses. players on "regular" contracts receive no additional bonuses for award wins.

Some Sked B bonuses are paid by the league and apply to every ELC contract. Laine earned $150K Sked B bonus from the league in addition to the $1.8M the Jets paid.

2. Individual "B" Bonuses - League-wide Awards/Trophies and League Performance
Bonuses Paid by League and/or Club
Every Player party to an Entry Level SPC shall automatically be deemed eligible for the Individual "B" Bonuses listed below, which, if earned, shall be payable by the League in the amounts set forth below. There is no limit on the number of League-wide Awards/Trophy Bonuses and League Performance Bonuses that an individual Player may earn in a League Year that are payable by the League. For example, if a Player finishes 2nd in the Hart, 3rd in the Selke and 1st in the Lady Byng, he will receive all bonus amounts associated with each such League- wide Award/Trophy Bonus. In addition, if he also finishes 3rd among NHL forwards in goals, 2nd in points, and 4th in points per Game, he would also receive all bonus amounts associated with such bonuses.
A Player and Club may also negotiate individual bonuses payable by the Club for the League-wide Awards/Trophy Bonuses and League Performance Bonuses set forth below, except where specifically stated otherwise, in amounts to be individually negotiated between a Club and a Player (the Club and Player could agree to pay more, or less, than the amounts payable by the League, set forth below). The maximum aggregate amount that a Club can pay a Player (in addition to any amounts paid by the League to such Player) on behalf of a Player's Individual "B" Bonuses is $2 million per season. There is no limit on the quantity (as opposed to the dollar amount) of League-wide Awards/Trophies and League Performance Bonuses a Player may receive from the Club.
(a) League-wide Awards/Trophies. The following are the only awards or trophies for which Clubs and Players may negotiate bonuses: the Hart Memorial Trophy ("Hart"), the "Rocket" Richard Trophy ("Richard"), the Vezina Trophy ("Vezina"), the William Jennings Trophy ("Jennings"), the Norris Trophy ("Norris"), the Conn Smythe ("Conn Smythe"), and the Frank J. Selke Trophy ("Selke"). In the event that the National Hockey League creates additional

iv) A Player who finishes among the top three (3) in balloting for the Calder shall receive the following bonus amounts (no individually negotiated "excess" allowed):
Winner $212,500 2nd $150,000 3rd $100,000

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

It's not unlikely, as he already hit them last season. It's possible of course that he don't finish in league top 10 (forwards) in G/A/P/PpG or get a nomination for eligible trophies this season.

The thing is, it's an all or nothing bonus: any achievement to warrant him a league-paid Schedule B bonus will also unlock the whole of the $1.8M team-paid Sched B bonus.

"Schedule B bonus of $1.8M for any of the following achievements:" and a list of every allowed Sched B bonus achievement from the CBA Exhibit 5 is pretty much verbatim what it says in his ELC.

Last edited:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Right, the part I was thinking of was that the NHL paid a portion of the Schedule B bonuses because of his Calder voting position. That portion of his bonus did not count against the Jets cap.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As for the Sched A bonuses, we can lock Laine and Ehlers for their full $850k each and JoMo for his full negotiated amount of $500k. That's a pretty certain $2.2M all together, that already realized the last season.

Laine getting his B would make it 4.

Connor will get some of his $850k, Poolman maybe also. Other ELC guys have lesser amounts agreed, and they will probably not get any of that.

After the season you can come check the total final amount from here: $4.637.500.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We could theoretically have more if Petan goes gangbusters or Roslovic makes it full time and hits his. Still I'd imagine at most we pay $5 million in bonuses.

Petan has no bonuses agreed on his ELC and Roslovic has only $213k, which I guess is rounded from $212.500 which is the maximum allowed bonus from one Sched A category. You need four categories unlocked to max out the full $850k.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets/performance-bonus

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Right. Forgot that. Any idea what winners get?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It's not unlikely, as he already hit them last season. It's possible of course that he don't finish in league top 10 (forwards) in G/A/P/PpG or get a nomination for eligible trophies this season.

The thing is, it's an all or nothing bonus: any achievement to warrant him a league-paid Schedule B bonus will also unlock the whole of the $1.8M team-paid Sched B bonus.

"Schedule B bonus of $1.8M for any of the following achievements:" and a list of every allowed Sched B bonus achievement from the CBA Exhibit 5 is pretty much verbatim what it says in his ELC.

And you have proof of that? We know that's how it was worded in Panarin's contract, no guarantee that that is how it is worded in Laine's contract.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Bonuses aren't as big of a deal as most make it out to be, at least for this team. We are allowed to go over the upper limit by 8.5% with bonuses. This is called the bonus cushion. At the end of the season if the bonuses push a team over the limit the excess counts towards the cap hit the following season. This isnwhst happened to Chicago. It also happened to winnipeg in 2013.

The reason why it doesn't matter for us so much is we aren't expected to be a cap team constantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->