Player Agent Don Meehan online right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
If the NHL offer contains what he says it does, even I can live with it with a few tweaks.

X0ssbar

vanlady said:
If the NHL offer contains what he says it does, even I can live with it with a few tweaks.

What is he saying the offer contains?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Top Shelf said:
What is he saying the offer contains?

Cap at 42 million
50/50 split of all profits over 115 million
Arbitration to reamin with both side able to apply
3rd party auditing
The deal can be reopened at 4 years

The only problem he sees is the definition of revenue sharing. If it is not significant then as he put it, it doens't make sense for the players.

I would tweek it down to 3 years and have the books taken right out of the hands of the owners, like the NFL. Other than that I could live with that

By the way, this was supposedly delivered to the players on Friday.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
vanlady said:
Cap at 42 million
3rd party auditing

The only problem he sees is the definition of revenue sharing. If it is not significant then as he put it, it doens't make sense for the players.

I would tweek it down to 3 years and have the books taken right out of the hands of the owners, like the NFL. Other than that I could live with that

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a floor in that proposal? Is the cap just a number or is it calculated as a percentage of revenue? Thanks.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
shnagle said:
Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a floor in that proposal? Is the cap just a number or is it calculated as a percentage of revenue? Thanks.

The floor has not moved it is still 32 million. Griffiths made a point about Pittsburg not being able make the floor and if the can't they don't belong in the league. I can beleive this as he is an ex owner.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
THIS is a VERY reasonable deal, IMHO. From a business point of view, I think the players have a hard time turning this offer down. Its linkage, (54% of league revenue to the players, UNLESS our profits go through the roof, then you can get more than 54%). If the owners have offered this, then I see a deal being struck, as I think the players can live with this, due to the profit sharing, as that eliminates their biggest fear of the owners raking in the money while only giving them 54%.

Hockey_Nut99

If that was the proposal then I can't see how pro-player people can still be on the players side if the season gets cancelled. The NHL has shown a lot of bending there.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
Cap at 42 million
3rd party auditing

Gee who have thunk it.

The owners are being far more reasonable than the PA leaks would have everyone believe. What a shock.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
vanlady said:
The floor has not moved it is still 32 million. Griffiths made a point about Pittsburg not being able make the floor and if the can't they don't belong in the league. I can beleive this as he is an ex owner.
Thanks again for the info. If this is the deal being offfered than I think revenue sharing is certainly the key because without it all the small revenue teams are being thrown under the bus, financially speaking.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
vanlady said:

Pittsburgh had a payroll of 34 million 3-4 years ago and they made money that year....

he said if teams like Pittsburgh and Carolina cannot make the low threshold they don't deserve to be in the NHL

he never said they could not make the 32 million cap...esp with playoff revenue sharing

SENSible1*

shnagle said:
Thanks again for the info. If this is the deal being offfered than I think revenue sharing is certainly the key because without it all the small revenue teams are being thrown under the bus, financially speaking.
The NHL has clearly stated that they will revenue share enough to allow all teams to meet the cap.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
I agree with Egil, if the revenue sharing is a NFL style system and the books are accounted for in the same way, yes this is a very good deal for the players.

If you have never read how the NFL accounts for revenue, do it, it is very draconian and the players see the actuall books for every team every year. URO's are never used in the NFL.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
vanlady said:
Cap at 42 million
3rd party auditing

Seems viable, but raises a lot questions that would need to be answered first even for the league let alone the PA. If it was delivered on Friday I can see why it's taking the PA this long to look it over.

If teams lost money still do they have to pitch in any money to make up the $'s over $115M?

If only the teams making money how is the amount to the players decided by %? Ex. just using 2 teams? One team makes $100M profit and another makes $50M profit and all the other teams breaking even(just an example). Does each team earning a profit pitch in half of the extra $35M or is proportionate to profit for each team?

If there is money at the end of the season is the money distributed evenly to all players in the PA?

Will the PA want to put rules on what players get portions the money, ie: games played, experience...?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
vanlady said:
Cap at 42 million
3rd party auditing

Is the 24% rollback also included in this? If so, I think they can definately come to an agreement, IF this is in fact what the owners offered on Friday.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
likea said:
Pittsburgh had a payroll of 34 million 3-4 years ago and they made money that year....

he said if teams like Pittsburgh and Carolina cannot make the low threshold they don't deserve to be in the NHL

he never said they could not make the 32 million cap...esp with playoff revenue sharing

Actually what he said was that Pittsburg wasn't making it with a 21 million dollar payroll and if they couldn't meet the salary floor then he went on to talk about both Carolina and Pittsburg not deserving to be in the NHL.

The essence of his comment was simple, if you can't get other expences under control you don't belong in the league and I agree with him.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Seems like a fair deal, though I'm a bit concerned about the prospects of leaving a window to reopen it in just four years. Who wants to go through this again that quickly?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Thunderstruck said:
The NHL has clearly stated that they will revenue share enough to allow all teams to meet the cap.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The teams that would be doing most of the sharing aren't terribly interested in the idea, from what I've seen so far.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Taranis_24 said:
Seems viable, but raises a lot questions that would need to be answered first even for the league let alone the PA. If it was delivered on Friday I can see why it's taking the PA this long to look it over.

If teams lost money still do they have to pitch in any money to make up the $'s over $115M?

If only the teams making money how is the amount to the players decided by %? Ex. just using 2 teams? One team makes $100M profit and another makes $50M profit and all the other teams breaking even(just an example). Does each team earning a profit pitch in half of the extra $35M or is proportionate to profit for each team?

If there is money at the end of the season is the money distributed evenly to all players in the PA?

Will the PA want to put rules on what players get portions the money, ie: games played, experience...?

My suspicion is the players may be drafting a counter. There are just to many questions involved. The one big one is revenue sharing. If there is no revenue sharing are the profits shared on a team by team basis? Then we are right back where we started with the have and have not teams.

By the way Griffiths was having problems getting Don Meehan on the phone, he figured it was because the phone lines are burning up between players and their agents and the PA

SENSible1*

PepNCheese said:
I'll believe it when I see it.

The teams that would be doing most of the sharing aren't terribly interested in the idea, from what I've seen so far.
Umm...they'll be the ones sharing 50% of their profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad