Play-offs under a Luxury tax system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Ok, do I have this right ?
Say it's a Lux-Tax system with a heavy penilty for going over.
Big freaking deal ! Would not teams that know that they won't make the playoffs dump high priced players to make the low end and collect on the Tax.
Would not the last 2 weeks to tradeing deadline be NUTS. and all clubs that think they will make the playoffs will trade for all they can get because they woont be paying the entire year just a loaner price for a few weeks and therefore almost no TAX penilty. we have seen this in the past and wow would this get realy bad under a Lux-Tax system.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
RLC said:
Big freaking deal ! Would not teams that know that they won't make the playoffs dump high priced players to make the low end and collect on the Tax.
Would not the last 2 weeks to tradeing deadline be NUTS. and all clubs that think they will make the playoffs will trade for all they can get because they woont be paying the entire year just a loaner price for a few weeks and therefore almost no TAX penilty. we have seen this in the past and wow would this get realy bad under a Lux-Tax system.

For guys at the end of their contract you are right although the system could be tweaked if stop this action, but what about a guy like Robert Lang or Jagr, their contracts are long term and teams would be a little more leary about dealing for players with long term contracts.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
So you think that the players will win on the luxury tax and no cap, plus win to keep the garenteed contracts so a Jagr with a 10 mill contract if he decides to score 10 goals a year instead of 50, his garenteed contract will be valid.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Don't blame Jagr...

RLC said:
So you think that the players will win on the luxury tax and no cap, plus win to keep the garenteed contracts so a Jagr with a 10 mill contract if he decides to score 10 goals a year instead of 50, his garenteed contract will be valid.

Hey, if some owner wanted Jagr so badly that they did not insist on any qualifiers....how is this Jagr's fault? If somebody wants to send a truck full of cash to my driveway, empty it there, I am not going to complain. Neither would you, if you are honest. Was it good for the league that owners like Leonsis did this, or that the Rangers chose to pick him up...knowing fully well what the contract terms were? No way. Just point the finger in the right direction when you start to point. :banghead:

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
RLC said:

It wouldn't really make much of a difference, since most of the salary would already be paid and I'm assuming that any luxury tax calculations would have to be made per game played, and then added up over the course of the season (however many games they decide they are going to play, probably stay at 82 but who knows?)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
RLC said:

Well only one league doesn't have fully guaranteed contracts and thats the NFL, but signing bonuses are guaranteed. So with Peyton Manning new contract he's still gonna get 45 million dollars regardless if he turns into a piece of crap. As long as he doesn't quit like Ricky Williams he's getting paid that bonus money. The NHLPA, MLBPA and NBAPA will never go the route the NFLPA went, they have stronger unions, so much so those leagues dont even ask the unions to give up guaranteed money.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
RLC said:

Well at least it would make trade deadline time more interesting.. I mean you would get player movement, TV and all sports radio stations like Fan590, TSN and Sportsnet could have trade deadline shows and you could finally get marquee players like Jagr and Leetch finally changing teams.. I really think the NHL should rethink the luxury tax if it could spice up deadline day........

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
they're probably going to move the trade deadline up anyhow to prevent the dumping of players that happens now anyway. God the NHL with less trades than it currently has... how boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->