PL - Round 15

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't care much for WhoScored ratings. If I want to determine how good a player is I try catching a few of their games and gather opinions from other people.

Even if Spurs are in a bit of an unlucky rut they are still just three points off top four. I have faith.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't care much for WhoScored ratings. If I want to know how good a player is I try catching a few of their games and gather opinions from other people.

I think they're usually okay but de Gea today was more like 11/10. He also nearly stopped that Lacazette shot even though they were standing right in front of each other. The ball was about a cm away from his glove.

Even if Spurs are in a bit of an unlucky rut they are still just three points off top four. I have faith.

Yeah, you can't really judge where a team stands until all of them play each other. Besides that, Eriksen is simply mentally fatigued from giving it all for Denmark. He'll bounce back but if I was a Spurs fan it's a little alarming that this is happening right before fixture congestion.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think they're usually okay but de Gea today was more like 11/10. He also nearly stopped that Lacazette shot even though they were standing right in front of each other. The ball was about a cm away from his glove.
It was crazy. You could see Arsenal players felt he was unbeatable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's only not as bad as people claim him to be because now it is revealed that people think he never has good games. Except for when Morata and Lukaku didn't score against him anyway. Or Giroud or Sanchez, etc. He had two bad games against Spurs and Sevilla, that's it. The worst game of the year against City he didn't even play in and he didn't play when they lost in the League Cup. They've lost one time this year with the bloke in the lineup.

I don't want him but like he's nowhere near that bad. It is also easier to notice when players like Koscielny and Lovren mess up because they play such a high line at those teams.

This is all I've been saying for a long while but apparently that makes me a Lovren lover or something.

Spurs will turn it around they're talented and well managed. That said I think they'll be in tough to make the top 4 this season.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Robbie Brady caught quite a serious leg injury today and is apparently hospitalized. Could see Burnley dropping a good amount of points just because of this.

Yeah, you can't really judge where a team stands until all of them play each other. Besides that, Eriksen is simply mentally fatigued from giving it all for Denmark. He'll bounce back but if I was a Spurs fan it's a little alarming that this is happening right before fixture congestion.

He did look better today. Got a nice assist. But he still struggles with some of the simplest of technical stuff at times.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs will turn it around they're talented and well managed. That said I think they'll be in tough to make the top 4 this season.

I think they're going to take Chelsea's position. Liverpool got up there with both Mane and Coutinho barely playing together. If they can play 20 together (I think they've played a handful at most) or something like that they could be in 2nd or 3rd at the end of the season. The squad probably won't be completely healthy all season so I'm surprised it is working out this way.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Doubt they pass United. Today's win proves United can play like shit and win. Few teams can do that.

All in all, Liverpool will be 3rd if everything goes right, could go down to 6th if everything goes wrong. As I've said before the season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think they're going to take Chelsea's position. Liverpool got up there with both Mane and Coutinho barely playing together. If they can play 20 together (I think they've played a handful at most) or something like that they could be in 2nd or 3rd at the end of the season. The squad probably won't be completely healthy all season so I'm surprised it is working out this way.

We're kind of unlucky as it is to not have more points so I think we'll be okay regardless. I'm more concerned about the CL with the injuries mounting but I'm choosing to be optimistic that a deal can be reached for Virgil in the winter and I believe he'll be taking us up a level. I think Can needs to play more CB as I think it suits his strengths and helps hide his weaknesses (mostly decision making on the ball and speed of thought). I don't see Spurs passing Chelsea as long as Hazard is there but it'll be close.

Coutinho needs to have more games like he played today. I am still not sure he's our best option in midfield if we're playing a big team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't think Spurs make it to the top 4 this year. They have the talent but something is off with them in the EPL this year. Some unbelievably terrible results and while that has been at times due to luck (Leicester) and refs (today/Swansea) a lot more of it has been down to god awful playing.

If they do get in it would be at Arsenal/Liverpool's expense. Those two are clearly a step below the top 3 and Spurs so hard to see either of them over taking the better teams who already are ahead on points.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure if this goes hot take thread or here but Liverpool still don’t finish top four unless they sign a CB and/or a RB in January. The probably need more but they only realistic thing they can do is sign VVD or sign a RB to kick Gomez inside.

They can’t get away with Wijnaldum at centerback while they wait for everyone to be healthy. It was a nice surprise but it was also Brighton. Tottenham isn’t dead yet. Arsenal will be there because they always are; although we have seen what a deep Europa League campaign can do to teams looking for top four. It’s goung to go down to the wire and two very good teams won’t get in.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
That's got to be the first time in years i'm seriously considering missing a West Ham game on purpose. Losing 4-0 against the Toffies was bad, you just know it will get super ugly against Pep's team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sometimes extremely defensive teams can surprise against overconfident powerhouses. You never know.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Delph will be retroactively punished for that dive. But it led to a goal and this is why it won’t stop. Video refereeing would be nice

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah I didn’t mean to imply he’d get anything more than a stern warning as a punishment.

At the very least I'd like the PL to institute some kind of escalating punishment.

Go back and award a retroactive yellow each time (to count towards season accumulation) and have punishments for cautions given for diving. 2 in a season = 1 game suspension. 3rd = 2, 4th = 4, 5 = 10.

Also, if they want to stop diving, refs need to call plays where a player goes in for a tackle, the attacker jumps over it so no contact is made, but it throws him off balance and another defender comes in and steals it. That's 100% a foul, and by not calling those, all you're doing is encouraging attackers to not jump over and to fall down.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Zero reason Aguero shouldn't get a yellow for wasting time on the way off there. Stopped twice while walking to the sideline.

Stuff like that pisses me off so much because it's the easiest thing in the world for an official to call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->