PL Round 14

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
West Ham are a ****ing disgrace.

Oh, yes. Bilic wasn't the problem - though he time was up, think he was well and truly spent.
I may be biased, though I followed WHU long before Bilic was the manager, but at least - even when losing - you knew the guy cared. You could see him fuming at the touchline, mad, angry, sad, upset, happy, thrilled, etc.
Moyes is like a clerk doing his 8 hours shift and then sods off right after, without a care in the world.

And the owners idea of helping the manager re-build his non-existant midfield was ruining the Carvalho transfer and offering him Renato Sanches and Krychowiak (both are proving to be complete flops so far).

All nicely wrapped up in the awful stadium switch.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yes. It started with the premier league wanting people in the stadiums instead of watching on the telly. So they implemented that rule in England only. Some bar owner complained and thougt it was unfair and EU said it had to be the same for the entire EU. Earlier I think other countries got to decide which game to show but now they just have to take whichever they get(don't know if it's FAs choice or Sky Sports or something similar). The saturday 3PM game they still gets to decide themselves though. And that's where we are now. Brexit will hopefully change that though

Ugh, stuff like that pisses me off, and really the EU should be pushing the other way for a more open market, especially with the additional layer of restrictions over different channels buying different exclusive rights in different countries. For example the (Slovak-based) satellite service I have has exclusive rights to the EPL and La Liga in the Czech Republic, but a different company has rights to the CL here, so even though my channels are broadcasting the CL games in Slovakia, here they can't because the other channel wouldn't come to terms with them, even though it means the other channel can't show English or Spanish games in retaliation.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Mo Salah is absurd.

I'm not sure he's the best in the EPL right now, but he makes a strong case.

It certainly doesn't hurt having Mane playing with him, but he's been unplayable at times.

He also can do much more than just run at players. I think a few of us, myself included, need to eat a bit of crow about how that was his main/only skill. He's one footed, he probably wastes a few too many chances, but he really has improved quite a lot in a rapid span. I watched a decent amount of his play for Roma (and occasionally Fiorentina before that), but the amount he has improved from then, and from the Chelsea days is bonkers. He's been hitting the gym for one, but his consistent threat is mad.

Mane did a lot to remind folks today that when he's healthy and fit, he's a threat at all times, and those two are going to be giving defenders nightmares for as long as it lasts.

While I think the transfer committee has gotten a lot of flak around here, and probably rightfully so, but they've made some of the right calls. I think they should have gotten a central defender, but the players they've bought have turned out into smart purchases. Heck, Ox, for all his flaws, looks pretty good playing for Liverpool. Klopp can do quite a bit with him if he's given some time. Throw in Keita next year?

Mignolet is a clown. I wouldn't be shocked to see Karius get some time in the EPL soon.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah's scoring record is super impressive, but I still don't think he'll score 40 - which is where the bulk of the disagreement was IIRC. If he does, he's easily a top 5 player in the world. Deliver me the crow when that happens. For a reference, Kane, Drogba, Suarez, Henry, RVP and Aguero never hit those highs in a season. I believe the last player in England to do it was Ronaldo in 2007-08 when he played for the dynasty Utd team at their peak.

Nobody said he was going to score 40. People were jumping on a hypothetical comment because they were looking for something to troll about. As is customary on this board. Nobody expects him to score 40.

Not really sold on any of the Liverpool defenders. It just looks horrendous on paper and sometimes just as bad on the field. And their lack of a proper DM makes them a vulnerable side. Henderson is trash and they'll be a lot better when they dump him.

Fishing, but I'll bite. Henderson is far from trash but since his injuries he's been very inconsistent. He's been very good in a few games, average in a few and pretty bad in a few this season. He's probably better suited to a different role, but I'm not sure what they'll do about him at this point if he doesn't improve his consistency. Consistency though is a common theme among most of of the players on Liverpool. Outside of Firmino, Mane and Salah they all need to improve in that respect, and the defence included would be just fine on paper with that (though they'd look better with van Dijk).

I still think the top 4 will be City, Utd, Spurs and Chelsea, but really it is still very much a race of 5 great teams for 3 UCL spots.
All of the teams outside of City have their flaws. I'm still not sold on Arsenal being in that group (we'll see how they do against United, they've looked bright of late), but Spurs have looked bad enough recently where I could see them dropping below Arsenal. I said 1. City 2.United 3. Liverpool and 4. Chelsea before the season I think and I'll stick to that.

One player I'll admit underrating was Coutinho. I know he didn't play today, but still pretty surprised to see that he's been MotM 3 times in 7 league games this season. You'd think he was Nicklas Bendtner with the way some (one) describes him here.

He's been as he always is, inconsistent and extremely talented. I've never described him as anything different. He's been brutal the last two games and needed to sit.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Mo Salah is absurd.

I'm not sure he's the best in the EPL right now, but he makes a strong case.

Salah has been fantastic and is making a great case to be in the top five, but I'll still take Hazard, Kante, De Bruyne, and Sanchez over him. No knock on Salah, and if he keeps it up he's absolutely in that top tier, but I've been seeing so many stupid FootballMemes about Salah being indisputably the best player in the EPL and I think we should pump the brakes a bit.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Best player in the league is laughable. 34 goals in 83 games for Roma, goes on a hot streak and is suddenly the best player in the PL.

Obviously he's got a ton of talent and is on ridiculous form right now, but maybe he should keep it up for more than 15 games before we crown him king of the league.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah might not even be the best player on the team. I still take Mane and Firmino over him for their overall contributions, but you need someone to bang in the goals and he's exactly what this team needed in that sense.

I'd also take KdB and Hazard over him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oh also Can is still bad. He's not fit to play the double pivot with Wijnaldum. Left Gini alone in the middle way too often. His decision making is terrible and I'm excited for him to go.

I think right now our best XI is this:

Gomez - Matip - Lovren - Moreno
Chambo - Wijnaldum - Hendo - Mane
Salah - Firmino​

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Best player in the league is laughable. 34 goals in 83 games for Roma, goes on a hot streak and is suddenly the best player in the PL.

Obviously he's got a ton of talent and is on ridiculous form right now, but maybe he should keep it up for more than 15 games before we crown him king of the league.

He's probably the best player right now. That's not so much about what he did at Roma, but what's happening. I wouldn't say I would take him over other players in the EPL over the long run, or that he will still be in that discussion come April/May, but it should be fun to watch.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salah isn’t the best, but he might be the most on fire at the moment. Either way it’s good he is on board.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He's probably the best player right now. That's not so much about what he did at Roma, but what's happening. I wouldn't say I would take him over other players in the EPL over the long run, or that he will still be in that discussion come April/May, but it should be fun to watch.

He's probably on the best form, but that doesn't mean he's the best player, especially since that run of "best form" is only like 7 or 8 games long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad