PL - Round 13

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't look now, but 6th place bound, badly coached Arsenal are top 4, Spurs and Pool aren't.
One point off 3rd too.

Reactions: maclean

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The team has been pretty poor all season, yet here they are ahead of early contenders in Spurs and Liverpool.
Incredible given that I was told that arsenal would be struggling against Everton to finish sixth and Liverpool and Spurs would be challenging for the title.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't look now, but 6th place bound, badly coached Arsenal are top 4, Spurs and Pool aren't.
One point off 3rd too.
They've been incredibly lucky. They're not going anywhere and personally I can't wait to play them again.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The team has been pretty poor all season, yet here they are ahead of early contenders in Spurs and Liverpool.

Yea I’m not sure how to read that.

On one hand they’ve relied on later winners, coming from behind, and now, stoppage time penalties and those things are hard to keep going long term. On the other, they’ve not been playing well but are getting points so if their form improves they could easily go on a good run.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yea I’m not sure how to read that.

On one hand they’ve relied on later winners, coming from behind, and now, stoppage time penalties and those things are hard to keep going long term. On the other, they’ve not been playing well but are getting points so if their form improves they could easily go on a good run.
Ozil's only played in about half their games as well.

That's sort of the hope I'm clinging on to.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Arsenal are 4th in xGF, XGA and xPts, so I'm not sure what exactly makes them 'lucky'.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Arsenal are 4th in xGF, XGA and xPts, so I'm not sure what exactly makes them 'lucky'.

Without looking at the stats I’d guess city leads all those, United is 2nd, Chelsea third, arsenal 4th, Liverpool 5th, then Spurs.

That close?

Edit: never mind I forgot xga doesnt like to include the quality of the keeper so will always undersell United.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean this is what Arsenal does. They always SEEM like they are doing worse than they are, but they find a way to score late and take care of business against teams they should be outright beating. Liverpool does not. I don’t think Liverpool gets top 4 unless they can sign Van Dijk in January and even then it’s going to be difficult. There are two spots for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & Tottenham, which are all very good teams.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Without looking at the stats I’d guess city leads all those, United is 2nd, Chelsea third, arsenal 4th, Liverpool 5th, then Spurs.

That close?
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Man Utd
Chelsea

TBF this model has Liverpool's expected points only 4 below City which is nuts.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, even though reffing was in their favor yesterday.
Was it?

I thought it was pretty down the middle except that Michael Oliver told Klopp he wasn’t allowed to make the Lallana sub because it would have been “time wasting”, source: Willian spares Chelsea another disaster at Anfield, even though they badly needed fresh legs. I don’t think the ref was bad yesterday or tilted one way.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Man Utd
Chelsea

TBF this model has Liverpool's expected points only 4 below City which is nuts.
I mean, if you take the six points from throwing away the lead against Watford, Newcastle and Chelsea that still only gets them to 6 below (in the actual table). I wouldn’t say that Liverpool are unlucky to be where they are, but isn’t that essentially what that model is suggesting according to your numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad