PL Matchweek 8

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Always said Xhaka is captain material.

He is a DM that is not a DM and just too slow/not agile enough to play anywhere else.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Got to wonder what Bruno was thinking. If that isn´t a direct red I´m not sure what would be a direct red. The ref sees it as he gives a penalty, but then ends up with a yellow. A bit lost for words.

Bruno should have gotten a 10 games ban.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I didn't see the incident but generally speaking the idea of "the ref saw it so therefore we can't review it" is a bit ludicrous.

Refs get 1 chance and 1 angle to see a play. Adjust the call and rescind cards or punish if required.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I didn't see the incident but generally speaking the idea of "the ref saw it so therefore we can't review it" is a bit ludicrous.

Refs get 1 chance and 1 angle to see a play. Adjust the call and rescind cards or punish if required.

Fully agree.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I understand not wanting to second guess every single one of the officials calls, and giving their opinion the most weight since they're the ones managing the game, but in the case of red cards it shouldn't really matter.

No idea how Oliver could look at that and not give a straight red. Bruno looked directly at the attacker and threw a forearm at his jaw.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Considering we got a point and none of the staff threatened traveling supporters I am content with the point today at Southampton

Reactions: Stray Wasp

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Check how many points United lost last season against the teams they've faced so far. ;)

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Dropped 2 points against West Ham, Swansea, Southampton. 4 against Stoke, Everton and Liverpool.

This year they dropped 2 against Stoke and 2 against Liverpool.

So in 8 games against those teams this year they dropped 4 points. In 16 last year they dropped 18. That's a 10 point difference if they keep the same pace this year, which would have made the difference between finishing 6th like they did, or 3rd a point ahead of City.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Danny Mills made this point:

If you have seven days to work with your team you can work on creativity, fluidity and attacking intent.

If you've got two days after an international break then it's simply a case of getting solid as a unit.

Don't know about Liverpool but definitely applied to United's play on Saturday.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Danny Mills made this point:

Don't know about Liverpool but definitely applied to United's play on Saturday.

It's not like Mourinho just showed it. It's been the same group of players for 2 months now.

Being defensive was a conscious and intentional decision by Mourinho. I'm not saying it was the wrong one, but I think it's disingenuous to somehow say he was forced into it.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't know why people try to defend Mourinho. We all know his go to tactic is parking a bus.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it's worth, when Klopp said that what Jose does wouldn't be tolerated at Liverpool, I probably agree. Certainly, some will respond with the 'well they certainly wouldn't complain about winning trophies', and I would agree, but at some point, the Kop wouldn't stand for not playing football for 90 minutes.

I can't say that I feel Old Trafford is going to tolerate it forever when they spend what they spend each summer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think as it is with most teams if you're winning trophies playing that style then the fans will tolerate it. If you're not winning anything it sours quick and it's why those managers end up getting the boot fairly quickly when it does go south. If you're a team playing for results rather than style first and you're not getting results...I would say playing a better style of football just gives you a bit longer of a leash and more support.

Though it would seem at the end of the day in this landscape it's harder and harder to play nice soccer when there's so many defensive teams and the athletic players that are getting churned out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's not like Mourinho just showed it. It's been the same group of players for 2 months now.

Being defensive was a conscious and intentional decision by Mourinho. I'm not saying it was the wrong one, but I think it's disingenuous to somehow say he was forced into it.

Not forced but it's normal. This wasn't the first time United has played poorly after an international break. It was clear that several players were "off" when you looked at the quality of passes , or rather lack of quality.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Leicester drew West Brom at home Monday. Third from the bottom of the charts, 2 points from getting out of the relegation zone.

Yes the schedule has been tough; but one win in 8 matches isn't cutting it.

I said it before; Shakespeare will not make it through the season if they don't turn it around soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->