"Pittsburgh Penguins" sale/arena/slots/etc. thread

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
During the Leaf game Randorf tried to talk to the "new" owner about the reports of the sale and his only reply was "Tomorrow"

So yeah ummm Tomorrow something's going down.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...004_190237_5084

Quoting a source, globesports.com reported that Balsillie is expected to be in Pittsburgh on Thursday night for the team's opening game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

While a deal is expected to be announced shortly before the game, globesports said, other sources it quoted cautioned that last-minute details still needed to be worked out and that the agreement could fall apart.

A source familiar with the discussions told globesports that Balsillie is expected to keep the team in Pittsburgh and he has no intention of moving it to Hamilton, Ont. There had been speculation that Balsillie wanted to buy a franchise and move it to Hamilton, which is close to his home and RIM's head office in Waterloo.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...004_190237_5084

Quoting a source, globesports.com reported that Balsillie is expected to be in Pittsburgh on Thursday night for the team's opening game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

While a deal is expected to be announced shortly before the game, globesports said, other sources it quoted cautioned that last-minute details still needed to be worked out and that the agreement could fall apart.

A source familiar with the discussions told globesports that Balsillie is expected to keep the team in Pittsburgh and he has no intention of moving it to Hamilton, Ont. There had been speculation that Balsillie wanted to buy a franchise and move it to Hamilton, which is close to his home and RIM's head office in Waterloo.

He was at the Toronto and Ottawa game they showed him on TV. He is keeping them there if he gets a new arena. Just like everyone else would want if they bought them.

islandnucker

Jan 24, 2003
ladysmith
Visit site
A picture of Mario in his house moments after the sale

milliondollarmariolm0.jpg

So would Crosby be Mario's Virgil?

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
He was at the Toronto and Ottawa game they showed him on TV. He is keeping them there if he gets a new arena. Just like everyone else would want if they bought them.

Yeah I saw him there. Obviously the new arena is the sticking point. There are two plans for a new arena. It's gonna take a lot for this team to move.

What a lot of people don't know that are outside the area, is that the land for the arena has been purchased, and the clearing of the land is suppose to start in January, with a new arena by 2009.

This is obviously all dependent on the new owner signing a new lease with the city.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This guy could afford to buy most of the league.

Hamilton here we come ! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

I actually am looking forward to having an owner in Pittsburgh who can and will spend to the Cap.

Bettman just today:

"I anticipate that there will be new ownership, and I am anticipating and certainly extremely hopeful that a new building will be built in Pittsburgh because we all know the Penguins have to have a new building," Bettman said during a preseason teleconference.

"With new owners and with a new building, my belief is that the future of the Penguins in Pittsburgh is both warm and bright. We don't want to see that team move."

Later in the teleconference, Bettman referred to Pittsburgh as a "hockey hotbed" and challenged government leaders.

"The only thing that would drive us out of town would be the inability of those in charge -- government entities -- to provide a new building as they provided with the Steelers and Pirates."

Bettman said that other than the arena issue, the Penguins are a good fit in Pittsburgh.

"The team has a good local television arrangement with Fox Sports regional," he said. "The fans over an extended period of time have demonstrated their great interest in and support of NHL hockey. This is team that has a great history and tradition. They've got a good organization running the club."

"With new owners and with a new building, my belief is that the future of the Penguins in Pittsburgh is both warm and bright."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06277/727163-61.stm

BostonHockey33

Sep 9, 2006
Tallahassee, FL
i thought the group that was gonna buy them inclued dan marino who i know would do everything possible not to move them..or was it someone different who bought them?

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Jeez guys, didn't you hear bob mackenzie? He's totally moving them to Kitchener-Waterloo....

we had a good laugh at that here.....

stan17

Jul 31, 2003
Visit site
Pens in Hamilton

It will happen, Copps was designed to be expanded (by lifting the roof of the facility) to accommodate the NHL and future private boxes, it presently has a 17,500 seating capacity, he already has a lease agreement with the City of Hamilton in principle for the arena, He was aware prior to submitting his bid that Pittsburgh would not come up with a new arena, if Mario could not do it he won't and his is aware of the fees to put the team in Hamilton(Toronto and Buffalo) the demographics of the area support three teams which his business case shows, there are approx. 7 milion people to draw from, this is not an expansion team where Toronto or Buffalo could stop the move, the leafs do not want to because of the natural hate for Hamilton.

He has been working on this for at least a few months, I know this because, well I just do.

Brad*

It will be funny when they don't move to Hamilton, and many dreams are crushed.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
It will happen, Copps was designed to be expanded (by lifting the roof of the facility) to accommodate the NHL and future private boxes, it presently has a 17,500 seating capacity, he already has a lease agreement with the City of Hamilton in principle for the arena, He was aware prior to submitting his bid that Pittsburgh would not come up with a new arena, if Mario could not do it he won't and his is aware of the fees to put the team in Hamilton(Toronto and Buffalo) the demographics of the area support three teams which his business case shows, there are approx. 7 milion people to draw from, this is not an expansion team where Toronto or Buffalo could stop the move, the leafs do not want to because of the natural hate for Hamilton.

He has been working on this for at least a few months, I know this because, well I just do.

Not gonna happen.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Jeez guys, didn't you hear bob mackenzie? He's totally moving them to Kitchener-Waterloo....

we had a good laugh at that here.....

K-W might actually make more sense than Hamilton... they could probably get more corporate support with the headquarters of RIM, Manulife, and Clarica there as well as all the other high-tech companies. Population-wise though I guess it's smaller than Hamilton.

I doubt either is likely, just idle speculation based on where he's from and the fact that he might have looked into it at some point... personally I hope the Pens stay in Pittsburgh for traditions' sake, assuming they get a new arena.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah I saw him there. Obviously the new arena is the sticking point. There are two plans for a new arena. It's gonna take a lot for this team to move.

What a lot of people don't know that are outside the area, is that the land for the arena has been purchased, and the clearing of the land is suppose to start in January, with a new arena by 2009.

This is obviously all dependent on the new owner signing a new lease with the city.

EXACTLY.

I just saw a clip on WTAE news from Onorato,(county CEO) "A NEW ARENA WILL BE BUILT regardless. The arena is getting built. There is the IOC plan and the Gov.'s backup plan, so the arena is getting built. And the Penguins SHOULD BE HERE." Basically saying, we are doing our part, it is up to them.

The Mayor said, as soon as the deal is done we want to sit down with the new owners.

Last edited:

stan17

Jul 31, 2003
Visit site
I doubt the NHL will let the Pens move. It would really suck if they do move.

To stay in Pittsburgh it would have taken the kind of deal the Steelers and Pirates got..... and that would have been completed along time ago.... the existing lease ends (I think) June 2007 ... not enough time.

Artyukhin*

Stan ,

here is how i belive it's goona take place. Jim Balsillie buys the team and says no im not moving it and have no plans on moving it .

IF the areana deal goes thru as everyone thinks it will, great for 10 years . Otherwise he has a case alot sooner than many think .(moving)

just like he denyed a number of times he wasnt intrested in buying the team , now he is the new supposed owner(announced offically tommrow). he is a great poker player .

you might very well be correct in your thinking but it might be 10 years(if a new arena is built in pittsburgh) before anything like that takes place.(moving the team)

i belive he is goona give it the honest go in pittsburgh . if at anytime the fans choose to stay away im pretty sure it will only strengthen his will to change locals.

he got his foot in the door . thats step one

does he own a team in pittsburgh ? will know tommrow
is his heart in hamiltion/waterloo ? it certinally is .

Pens fan have no room to become complacent over the coming years . we already know he has inquired to move the team .

Bettmen might not let him now, but poor attendance over a number of years will change manys thinking .

Last edited by a moderator:

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Bob Mackenzie was saying that JB paid $50,000 to make sure Copps would be able to support NHL hockey, or something to that effect, if anyone has the proper line, write it out here.

Of course, he also said Balisilie (or whatever) would look at moving the team to Kitchener-Waterloo if Hamilton didn't work.... I can tell you how likely that is right now.

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
Glad to see the Penguins found a new owner. Here's to hoping he keeps them in Pittsburgh now. The Penguins and their fans deserve a new arena and I am glad to see Bettman is behind the fact that the Pens must stay in Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->