Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Dane Birks and Michigan Tech's season ends with an OT loss to Notre Dame. Hockey had their own March Madness moment as well today, with overall # 1 seed St. Cloud loosing to Air Force in round 1. Bjorkvist and Providence play later on tonight.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Dane Birks and Michigan Tech's season ends with an OT loss to Notre Dame. Hockey had their own March Madness moment as well today, with overall # 1 seed St. Cloud loosing to Air Force in round 1. Bjorkvist and Providence play later on tonight.
Does that mean we can sign Jimmy Schuldt?

God knows we can use som prospects on D.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Vaxjo beat Brynas 5-3. Lead 3-1 in the series. Next game Monday I assume. Ohlund could come over after.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It looks like it’s another shoulder injury.

www.570news.com/2018/03/24/rangers-halls-surgery-means-season-done/

The Cambridge native played 47 games this year for Kitchener – a career-high – despite, again, struggling with shoulder injuries.

“At some point, you have to look out for Connor’s long-term health,” said McKenzie on 570 News during the second intermission of the Rangers’ first playoff game. “He’s still a 19-year-old kid. We want to make sure, and Connor wants to make sure, and his family and his agent, he’s not going to be 25-years-old and not even be able to lift his shoulder.”

Usage this season.
The defenceman was playing with Waterloo’s Logan Stanley on the team’s top pairing and was logging major minutes 5-on-5 and on the penalty-kill. He was this year’s Rangers’ honouree for Best Defensive Ability.

Therese no way we will sign him to an ELC, is it?

I’d be surprised if they did. Does he even warrant an AHL contract where he’ll be in Wheeling?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Looks like both of the Pens questionable picks on defense will be returning to junior for their overage season.

That's usually not a good sign that they're that far behind in their development to have to stay in junior instead of turning pro.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Can Bellerive play in the AHL next year?

It doesn't come up very often, but the rule actually says for players drafted out of the CHL. Technically, he is eligible because he wasn't drafted (like D'Orio). On the other hand, the AHL is not usually the best option in the team's mind.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Angello and Cornell ousted by BU this afternoon to end their season. Providence plays Notre Dame tonight and Penn St plays Denver tonight as well.

In the CHL last night:

Rouyn Noranda (Lauzon - 0pts), Niagra (Militec 1+1) and Lethbridge (Bellervie 1+1) were all game 1 winners last night.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Does that mean we can sign Jimmy Schuldt?

God knows we can use som prospects on D.

Yes, Schuldt's season is over, so he can sign. Mind you, he is a junior, so he can still go back to school next year. Brickley's season also ended last night, so he will be signing soon with someone presumably.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d be surprised if they did. Does he even warrant an AHL contract where he’ll be in Wheeling?

I always assumed they would. They've clearly coveted his type of dman for a while and always spoke glowingly about him - I doubt poor offensive numbers would translate into completely losing faith in him.

But a third serious shoulder injury in two years should slow their roll even if the numbers haven't. The main question over Hall is no longer does he have enough puck moving and skating to play in the NHL, it's whether he's capable of staying fit long enough to be worth investing in.

Do they have to sign him to a contract this season if they want to keep his rights? Sending him back to junior and kicking that decision a year down the road seems the sensible thing to do. If not... I'd give him an AHL contract and let him work his way up from Wheeling.

edit: Actually, no I wouldn't. I'd tell him to go back to juniors anyway and that maybe the AHL contract would be waiting after that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I always assumed they would. They've clearly coveted his type of dman for a while and always spoke glowingly about him - I doubt poor offensive numbers would translate into completely losing faith in him.

But a third serious shoulder injury in two years should slow their roll even if the numbers haven't. The main question over Hall is no longer does he have enough puck moving and skating to play in the NHL, it's whether he's capable of staying fit long enough to be worth investing in.

Do they have to sign him to a contract this season if they want to keep his rights? Sending him back to junior and kicking that decision a year down the road seems the sensible thing to do. If not... I'd give him an AHL contract and let him work his way up from Wheeling.

edit: Actually, no I wouldn't. I'd tell him to go back to juniors anyway and that maybe the AHL contract would be waiting after that.

They coveted them but they also got Oleksiak for a 4th and Pedan in the Pouliot trade. And drafted Lauzon and whoever else is physical. It’s possible that reduced the value of Hall within the org.

At this point I think not only do you have to worry about him staying healthy enough to invest in him (Maatta had two shoulder surgeries close together and hasn’t had any reported problems there since), it’s also that if he can’t hold up being physical in juniors will he in higher leagues?

I think they lose his rights if he’s not signed and he can go back to juniors for another year. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll definitely sign Lauzon, I wouldn't rule out him turning pro next year at all. Sure, he had a bad year this year, but he's probably a pro ready player. His skating and defense are definitely both professional ready, so if they're not worried about his offensive totals, I could see the Penguins wanting him in the AHL next year.

It depends with Hall. I could see an AHL contract with the Penguins, where he'll spend most of next year with Wheeling. Quite a few players do that I believe, I remember Reid McNeill stayed with WBS for 4 or 5 years and never got a NHL contract from the Penguins. It's not very common that those kind of players pan out into NHLers, though. I need to know what the Penguins think of guys like Pedan before I say whether the Penguins will sign him or not. Do they think Pedan actually has some sort of NHL potential, or is he just a warm body that was thrown in for Pouliot?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They'll definitely sign Lauzon, I wouldn't rule out him turning pro next year at all. Sure, he had a bad year this year, but he's probably a pro ready player. His skating and defense are definitely both professional ready, so if they're not worried about his offensive totals, I could see the Penguins wanting him in the AHL next year.

I think the injury will be a major reason if Lauzon is sent back to junior. You can't miss that much time, especially in a year where you're expected to make huge leaps in development. An OA season in junior will essentially allow Lauzon to improve in the areas he should have improved this year.

It depends with Hall. I could see an AHL contract with the Penguins, where he'll spend most of next year with Wheeling. Quite a few players do that I believe, I remember Reid McNeill stayed with WBS for 4 or 5 years and never got a NHL contract from the Penguins. It's not very common that those kind of players pan out into NHLers, though. I need to know what the Penguins think of guys like Pedan before I say whether the Penguins will sign him or not. Do they think Pedan actually has some sort of NHL potential, or is he just a warm body that was thrown in for Pouliot?

I don't think Pedan's spot in the Pens' plans will have much bearing on Hall's, to be honest. For one, Pedan's a much more accomplished puck mover. Hall's ability with the puck is still at a level that would probably see him struggle a bit even in the ECHL.

Hall might have had a higher ceiling if this was before 2005, when physicality and toughness was still coveted. But with the way teams are looking at adding mobile, adept puck movers, Hall's a dying breed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the injury will be a major reason if Lauzon is sent back to junior. You can't miss that much time, especially in a year where you're expected to make huge leaps in development. An OA season in junior will essentially allow Lauzon to improve in the areas he should have improved this year.

That's true, but I could also see the Penguins feeling he's pro ready and can improve on those areas in the AHL. I'd send him back to juniors because of how jammed the AHL Penguins will be with defensemen, but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I don't think Pedan's spot in the Pens' plans will have much bearing on Hall's, to be honest. For one, Pedan's a much more accomplished puck mover. Hall's ability with the puck is still at a level that would probably see him struggle a bit even in the ECHL.

Hall might have had a higher ceiling if this was before 2005, when physicality and toughness was still coveted. But with the way teams are looking at adding mobile, adept puck movers, Hall's a dying breed.

My point about Pedan was whether they view him as an actual prospect or not. If they don't, I think it makes them more likely to sign Hall. If they do view him as a prospect, it's less likely that they'd sign Hall because what does Hall do that Pedan doesn't do?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It doesn't come up very often, but the rule actually says for players drafted out of the CHL. Technically, he is eligible because he wasn't drafted (like D'Orio). On the other hand, the AHL is not usually the best option in the team's mind.

Interesting, I never knew that. He should definitely go back to junior though. Very few players benefit from playing in the AHL as teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad