Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
In 2007, they hit the jackpot with Pacioretty, Subban, and McDonagh, plus a depth guy like Yannick Weber. But since then it's been pretty bad for them.

Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Beaulieu are the only draft picks from 2008 and beyond to play over 200 NHL games, and only Sergachev (now with Tampa) looking like a legitimate top line/top pairing player.

So overall, they've been pretty bad after that 2007 draft.

When you hear stories like the one that apparently Habs' head of scouting Trevor Timmins wanted to draft Chris Kreider in 2009 but was pressured into drafting a local kid in Louis Leblanc, you have to wonder if drafting is their biggest issue though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
When you hear stories like the one that apparently Habs' head of scouting Trevor Timmins wanted to draft Chris Kreider in 2009 but was pressured into drafting a local kid in Louis Leblanc, you have to wonder if drafting is their biggest issue though.
That's crazy. Drafting is hard enough without having to narrow your selections down to a small geographical area.

Sounds like something they'd do though.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That's crazy. Drafting is hard enough without having to narrow your selections down to a small geographical area.

Sounds like something they'd do though.

The draft was in Montreal, don't forget. Timmins felt the pressure and caved.

He basically had his choice of Leblanc, Jordan Caron or Simon Depres. Fortunately, he did not take the latter.

Still, Kreider was better than them all.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
As a Canuck fan, I'm coming here to ask you Penguin fans, why were you guys so happy to see Pouliot gone? Pouliot since Day 1 has been our best defenseman by far. He's on pace for 30 points in his actual first year in the NHL and he's heavily improved our power-play. He's also one of the best defenseman in corsi stats and I'm looking at this trade and I'm still quite puzzled as to why you guys would do this.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
As a Canuck fan, I'm coming here to ask you Penguin fans, why were you guys so happy to see Pouliot gone? Pouliot since Day 1 has been our best defenseman by far. He's on pace for 30 points in his actual first year in the NHL and he's heavily improved our power-play. He's also one of the best defenseman in corsi stats and I'm looking at this trade and I'm still quite puzzled as to why you guys would do this.
He never had confidence here or a spot. We were going to end up waiving him so we traded him so we wouldn’t lose him for nothing. Win-Win trade.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I can't speak for others, but the reason I was happy was because our organization just wasn't going to give him the opportunity to sink or swim. So, in that respect, it's better to get something than lose him to waivers for nothing. I'm glad he's doing well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He was slow and bad. Give him to someone else and see if they can work on his game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Because most people never forgave him for not being a Euro that Shero would have never drafted anyway.

However, there were a select few of us who kept insisting he had talent and needed to play through his mistakes and his talent would eventually shine through.

He simply got f***ed over by the Schultz trade when he was hitting his stride and got benched for no reason. After that he went into a tailspin trying to do too much...

He simply needed to find his mojo again and now the Nucks are benefitting from simply letting him play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Because he sucked here and did nothing to justify getting any ice time on a contending team with a deep defense. It's not exactly rocket science. He was more or less gifted a spot in Pittsburgh at the start of the 2015-2016 season, pissed it away with one of the worst preseason and training camp performances I've ever seen and then fell behind a numbers game of better defenseman. He dug his own grave with that horrendous 2015 preseason performance, and when the Penguins started to vastly improve their D depth, he just didn't have a spot. He went from being the #5 on the depth chart in the summer of 2015 to being no higher than #8 on the depth chart in the next 2 seasons. That's what happens when you add guys like Daley, Schultz, Hunwick, Hainsey, Streit and Ruhwedel to the system and Pouliot doesn't progress at all.

In Pittsburgh this year, he would have been #8 on the depth chart, after Ruhwedel and before Corrado (who has actually been good, so I don't know how long that would have lasted). Last year, he was #9 on the depth chart and #10 if you include Letang. By the end of 2015-2016, he was probably #8 on the depth chart.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
^ I don't even know what I ate last week for dinner let alone what happened to whom in preseason a few years ago.

That's why it's bad I remember that :laugh:

Pouliot was so bad in that preseason that I remember how terrible he was in that preseason. Me remembering that should speak to how horrid he was, I think only Gonchar was worse than him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've hated the whole language thing that the habs do and I don't think it's the fans at all that push for that. It's the idiotic media and how easily the team freaks out thinking it will lose its identity because of that. If the Nords came back it'd be the same stupid thing. It's incredibly backward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Pouliot is your best defenseman I don't know what to tell you. Besides the fact that he gets sheltered minutes and favourable offensive zone starts which is babying the crap out of his game and development. Enjoy it when he actually has to play hard minutes and looks like a fish out of water.

Lol Corsi stats. Then again you guys still think Virtanen has been great and Boeser has the best shot in the game so yeah...

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He was playing with no confidence in Pittsburgh and thus seemed to get worse over time. I'm not shocked he turned it around .

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was playing with no confidence in Pittsburgh and thus seemed to get worse over time. I'm not shocked he turned it around .
62% offensive zone starts will do that for you when you're only starting 38% of your shifts in the defensive zone where you're basically a live grenade.

He's Yannic Weber.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't speak for others, but the reason I was happy was because our organization just wasn't going to give him the opportunity to sink or swim. So, in that respect, it's better to get something than lose him to waivers for nothing. I'm glad he's doing well.

This. He had lost his confidence here and the coach had lost confidence in him (if he'd ever had it). I'm not surprised he's turning it around away from here but it was never ever going to work for him in Pittsburgh by that point.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really he was just caught in a numbers game in PIT and could never get over that last hurdle of the coaches trust.
Watching him in Wilkes, i always thought, he just needed the games played and the NHL game and pace will simply become easier and easier for him.
Glad to see he's not proving me wrong.

ETA: Heres some Drozg from last night:

Highlights_2015 - SendtoNews

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Sam Lafferty scored the lone goal yesterday for Brown in a 3-1 loss to Bentley. Brown is terrible this year, good thing Lafferty is producing regardless.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Not sure if mentioned but - Drozg's playing in the B division of the WJHC starting tomorrow. Presumably he'll be one of the strongest players at that level.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Pouliot is a pretty talented hockey player and I hope he does well in Vancouver. But it wasn't going to happen here. He - like a lot of other young guys that aren't like, can't miss blue-chip prospects - needs to be on a bad team with poor depth and low expectations where he can play a lot and work through his mistakes.

One of the problems I always had with Shero and his penchant for stockpiling blueline prospects is that a significant portion of defenders simply do not catch on with the team that drafted them, and often need a change of scenery to really find their game. Examples would be Niskanen, Cole and Schultz.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something worth noting, I think Bellerive is playing winger for Lethbridge now. He didn't take any faceoffs last night in a 6-5 loss and has been taking almost no faceoffs recently. Just worth noting.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I suspect that if/when Vancouver becomes a true playoff contender, and the games really mean something, Pouliot will melt like butter in the defensive zone. In the small sample size we saw, he looked like a kid who had zero poise in his own zone when facing speed and pressure. I wonder if he will ever overcome that. If he doesn't, he's no better than a bottom-pairing defenseman on a good team, which is what his ceiling seemed to be here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
62% offensive zone starts will do that for you when you're only starting 38% of your shifts in the defensive zone where you're basically a live grenade.

He's Yannic Weber.

Hockeyreference says that Pouliot has a 59.4 OZ/40.6 DZ split. Schultz has a 56.3 OZ/43.7 DZ split this year, and he's a 26 year old making 5.5 mil per, not a 23 year old making $800,000.

The last 2 years in Pittsburgh, we had Pouliot with a 45.7 OZ/54.3 DZ split in '15-'16 (2nd most difficult among defensemen after Lovejoy) and a 50.6 OZ/49.4 DZ split in '16-'17 (worse than Letang, Schultz, and Dumo). But winning was our biggest priority, not bringing along a developing offensive dman who'd been experiencing hiccups.

I think Vancouver's going about it the right way to build his confidence back up - they're sheltering a talented young defenseman and putting him in situations that play to his strengths. And now he's their highest scoring blueliner. I don't see any need to shit on the guy because he didn't work out here and is starting to succeed elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Here is the full game.

I dont think watching the full game will be any indication since its really low level.
I just skipped to Drozg goals.
Second one was quite nive at 1.03.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->