GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ Detroit Red Wings

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
FACTS:

Pavel Datsyuk was 30-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.
Henrik Zetterberg was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.
Johan Franzen was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.

Evgeny Malkin was 30-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.
Sidney Crosby was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.
Phil Kessel was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.

Maybe the Penguins peak has passed. Just like Hawks. They continue in upper mediocrity in parity league.

It's possible.
Only two years ago, nobody even knew if they'd get 2.
Now they have 3.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg might have been able to sneak another one or two with some health and some luck.
I imagine the same is true for Crosby and Malkin.

Reactions: Ezekial

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Well, you can't cheer for 82 loses a year so new year's eve, pittsburgh, yeah we'll take the win.

Howard looks super good. The kids are looking on the upswing. Defense looks capable. Nyquist is firing pucks in. Z looks like he's back to generating offense. Bert looks like a great addition. I think a bottom 5 finish is pretty unlikely. They just seem better than their record shows.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Because any player from pee wee on up when in and around the net has their stick on the ice in shooting position?Or at least they damn well should.

Ok.... the pass was still in an awful position for him to get a stick on it. If it was a good pass, Tatar having his stick down on the ice would be enough.

If Tatar in that close to the net isn’t anticipating a pass, he would not be an NHL player. The pass may even have been slightly deflected.

I only said anything because I’m trying to say that even though the play failed, it was just a lapse in execution. Tatar was ready for it, it was just not in an optimal place. AA did not put it directly on his tape but he made the right read and that’s been his bugaboo

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
If that bothers you, you should heed your own advice and relax. Perhaps you shouldn't tell others what they should want from a hockey game.

You are probably correct in a way on this. It is just absurd to watch a 4-1 victory against a team that we as a fan base should still kind of hate and the first response be “**** we won, Ken Holland is now gonna trade everything under the sun for veterans”

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You are probably correct in a way on this. It is just absurd to watch a 4-1 victory against a team that we as a fan base should still kind of hate and the first response be “**** we won, Ken Holland is now gonna trade everything under the sun for veterans”

Our playoff chances went from ~11% --> ~13% after this win, so it probably isn't going to change the fate of this season. :)

We still lose 2, after we win 1.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Which ones? I had a family member who went to the game and saw it but I'm not finding anything online about it.

There's a few comments here without much context. Someone on Reddit said a Pittsburgh fan threw a punch at security and the security went to town on him. There's bound to be video somewhere.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Gosh darn Howard doing everything he can to lose a game. Geez. It's almost as if the Red Wings score more than a goal a game they can win.

AA was neutraliezed all game. Weird how if a team knows how to play him he isn't anything but, well, nothing.

Funny stuff.

Fight in the stands tonight, first time I've ever seen it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
FACTS:

Pavel Datsyuk was 30-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.
Henrik Zetterberg was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.
Johan Franzen was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final. Never saw Finals again.

Evgeny Malkin was 30-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.
Sidney Crosby was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.
Phil Kessel was 29-year old on his last Stanley Cup Final.

Maybe the Penguins peak has passed. Just like Hawks. They continue in upper mediocrity in parity league.

For me it proves the idiocy of a lot of Holland's signings. Doesn't he know players peak, especially forwards, at age 23-25? It's a young man's game and ever more so the last seasons. Wow surprise Bertuzzi is actually a better player than Booth! I've said before we underestimate that the best weapon against the leagues top young stars may be our own young players. I would have traded Tatar and protected Nosek if we were truly building for the future.

Anyways great game from the Wings, one of their best this season. Hard passes, good flow while forechecking and moving the puck forward. We out-hustled and out-skated Pittsburgh, basically beat them at their own game. Rangers I thought was fairly meh- when Grabovski is their best player (Lundquist certainly wasn't) that's not a great showing. Tonight though the Wings suffocated a desperate team and got better as the game went on.

Howard and Larkin 1st stars again.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
For me it proves the idiocy of a lot of Holland's signings. Doesn't he know players peak, especially forwards, at age 23-25? It's a young man's game and ever more so the last seasons. Wow surprise Bertuzzi is actually a better player than Booth! I've said before we underestimate that the best weapon against the leagues top young stars may be our own young players. I would have traded Tatar and protected Nosek if we were truly building for the future.

Anyways great game from the Wings, one of their best this season. Hard passes, good flow while forechecking and moving the puck forward. We out-hustled and out-skated Pittsburgh, basically beat them at their own game. Rangers I thought was fairly meh- when Grabovski is their best player (Lundquist certainly wasn't) that's not a great showing. Tonight though the Wings suffocated a desperate team and got better as the game went on.

Howard and Larkin 1st stars again.

Are you saying players peak at 23-25 implying at 26 the decline starts? Or are you implying the peak begins between 23-25?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Gosh darn Howard doing everything he can to lose a game. Geez. It's almost as if the Red Wings score more than a goal a game they can win.

AA was neutraliezed all game. Weird how if a team knows how to play him he isn't anything but, well, nothing.

Funny stuff.

Fight in the stands tonight, first time I've ever seen it.

Ouch showing some bias there. AA was neutralized? Far from it. Dude was fully engaged, everywhere on the ice competing and giving the Penguins heck. The last two games with Larkin he's been very involved. I understand he's not sneaking away on breakaways like last season but his overall game is slowly growing.

I'm displaying my own bias- where has Tatar been on that line?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If that bothers you, you should heed your own advice and relax. Perhaps you shouldn't tell others what they should want from a hockey game.
If you see that the Red Wings won and are sad about it because you want a better pick, that's fine.

If you watch the game and talk on a Red Wings fan forum about how you are sad because the Red Wings won, that is and has always been absurd.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ouch showing some bias there. AA was neutralized? Far from it. Dude was fully engaged, everywhere on the ice competing and giving the Penguins heck. The last two games with Larkin he's been very involved. I understand he's not sneaking away on breakaways like last season but his overall game is slowly growing.

I'm displaying my own bias- where has Tatar been on that line?
Nah, no bias. AA had the puck on his stick a little too much and Ian Cole showed everyone that if you play the body on AA you can just shove him into the corner. I like AA without the puck so he can fully utilize his speed and find open areas. The less the puck is on his stick I bet the more he scores, as counter-productive as that sounds. There's no question he's been a ton better the last two games though, it'd be interesting to see if he played with as much gusto if he's taken away from Larkin. We have to keep in mind this is only a two game sample from AA. Equally as interesting will be when Mantha makes it back to the line-up. Do you plug him right back in where AA is? I don't.

Tatar hasn't done much of anything. When was the last time he scored? Has to be a month ago, or that's what it feels like. At least he didn't turn the puck over in his own zone for a grade A scoring chance for the other team this game :laugh:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
even for a tanking team, it's okay for them to win a few games here and there throughout the season, especially against crybaby crosby and the pens. I mean this team is still a lock to finish bottom 10 in the league and possible bottom 5. no need to be sad over a couple wins here and there

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
News flash: Every team in the league wins a non-zero amount of games every single season. No need to bellyache over it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If you see that the Red Wings won and are sad about it because you want a better pick, that's fine.

If you watch the game and talk on a Red Wings fan forum about how you are sad because the Red Wings won, that is and has always been absurd.

Says you.

I watch the game out of interest in the team. Out of interest in the progress of the players who have a chance at being around when this team gets good again. Had Detroit won last night, but not the night before, I'd have been more receptive to the victory - as I was the night before.

But two games in a row.... Not what I'm looking for - not when we're still just 7 points out of a playoff spot.
Here's hoping the team gets back on track (off track) in January. The more tickets for the Dahlin lottery, the better.

If by some stroke of luck Detroit gets Dahlin, trades Green for a first and manages to land another good player or two in the top 35, the Red Wings rebuild might not take nearly as long as I fear.

So cheer for your meaningless wins for a mediocre team to your heart's content.
But know that every win they get makes it more likely their losing era lasts longer.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Says you.

I watch the game out of interest in the team. Out of interest in the progress of the players who have a chance at being around when this team gets good again. Had Detroit won last night, but not the night before, I'd have been more receptive to the victory - as I was the night before.

But two games in a row.... Not what I'm looking for - not when we're still just 7 points out of a playoff spot.
Here's hoping the team gets back on track (off track) in January. The more tickets for the Dahlin lottery, the better.

If by some stroke of luck Detroit gets Dahlin, trades Green for a first and manages to land another good player or two in the top 35, the Red Wings rebuild might not take nearly as long as I fear.

But know that every win they get makes it more likely their losing era lasts longer.
`
So like AA playing almost 22 minutes... Larkin scoring on a sweet breakaway, Tyler Bertuzzi looking like he was not at all out of place on a scoring line... and Nyquist scoring a couple while looking like a pretty decent player to perhaps buoy some of his trade value... and Jimmy Howard playing exceptionally well which might lead the Wings to actively move on from Mrazek by dealing him... or build Howard's profile enough that they can get something for him...

None of that is worth anything.

And on this... dude, cut it out. You tell me "relax, don't tell other people how to be a fan." and you respond with some passive-aggressive **** like this? Oh, cheer for your meaningless wins, puppets!

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
`
So like AA playing almost 22 minutes... Larkin scoring on a sweet breakaway, Tyler Bertuzzi looking like he was not at all out of place on a scoring line... and Nyquist scoring a couple while looking like a pretty decent player to perhaps buoy some of his trade value... and Jimmy Howard playing exceptionally well which might lead the Wings to actively move on from Mrazek by dealing him... or build Howard's profile enough that they can get something for him...

None of that is worth anything.

And on this... dude, cut it out. You tell me "relax, don't tell other people how to be a fan." and you respond with some passive-aggressive **** like this? Oh, cheer for your meaningless wins, puppets!

Lay off, man.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I cheer for a win every game because I know it upsets the tank trolls on this forum. I hope Holland resigns for four more years this offseason. The tears here will be delicious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad