Pittsburgh Penguins clinch 1st overall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Isn't Chicago still technically in the running?

It's unlikely as hell but it's still statistically possible.

yeah if pitt won their final 2 game and chicago loses all their remaining games, then they would be tied with 58 points but the pens have more wins to chicago would be last

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Not yet !! And there is still the lottery. I don't won't to get my hopes up just yet.But the pens could have wrapped up Malkin thats good news :yo:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was not even entirely sure if the Caps were eliminated . . . After the Last Pens games our broadcasters told us that it would be based on the third tie breaker, which they said was head to head goal differential (Caps and Pens currently are tied) . . . in fact that is wrong, but took a god awful amount of looking to confirm . . . finally did though even that could have been more detailed:

http://www.hockeynut.com/stand.html

look at the very bottom, I wish that it was a bit more detailed, but says goal differential, NOT head to head goal differential . . .

Caps are gone from the drive to the bottom.

Chicago is one point from elimination . . . a tie by them or us will give the Pens last place. Otherwise Hawks have it.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Final proof . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04092/294489.stm

'Even if they win both, they will finish last -- and have the top slot in Tuesday's NHL draft lottery -- if the Capitals and Blackhawks each earn one more point. Washington plays tonight in Boston, against the New York Rangers at the MCI Center Saturday and at Mellon Arena Sunday. Chicago faces Nashville tonight at the United Center, then travels to Phoenix Saturday and Dallas Sunday. Chicago remains a factor because the Penguins could match its total of 58 points, then edge the Blackhawks on the victories tiebreaker; Washington has one fewer point than Chicago, but would win a goals-differential tiebreaker against the Penguins.'

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Do you people criticizing me understand the meaning of the word Lottery? :shakehead
They just saw how many posts you have and thought insulting you would be appropriate. I don't know why. Just find your way to the Lounge and waste some time. You're post count will be up above a respectable level (like 700) in no time.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Wait, that makes no sense. So in a fight for the worst record and the best pick, the team with the MOST wins in a tie would get the higher pick? Isn't the highest pick supposed to go to the WORSE team, meaning the team with the LEAST amount of wins in the tie should get the higher pick?

Anyone else think that is backwards as hell?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Pachoo said:
Wait, that makes no sense. So in a fight for the worst record and the best pick, the team with the MOST wins in a tie would get the higher pick? Isn't the highest pick supposed to go to the WORSE team, meaning the team with the LEAST amount of wins in the tie should get the higher pick?

That is bass-ackwards!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pachoo said:

The tie breakers were actually written regarding efforts to MAKE the playoffs, not designed for this purpose though they work the same . . . the verbage means that if you have the most wins you will be bumped up . .. in this case from 30th to 29th.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Man, its gonna be great if Ovechkin turns out to be a dud at the NHL level.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
The tie breakers were actually written regarding efforts to MAKE the playoffs, not designed for this purpose though they work the same . . . the verbage means that if you have the most wins you will be bumped up . .. in this case from 30th to 29th.

Well I guess, but that is illogical. If that is the logic, then winning a game, so you are no longer in a tie with a team, should move you up a spot in the draft then right? Afterall, you are trying and got the win? Well that isn't the way it works. You win an extra game, end up with the better record, so you pick further down because of it.

Making the team with the most wins, in a tie, get the higher pick in the draft is totally illogical and exactly the opposite of the logic that dictates where teams pick in the draft in the first place (in reverse order of most points).

For example, the Panthers, Hurricanes and Thrashers might finish with the same number of points. The Panthers and Hurricanes only have 28 wins and the Thrashers have 32 wins. So, tie breaking wise, wanting to give the higher pick to the worse team, wouldn't you think the Thrashers, since they won the most games, should get the lowest pick of the three? But, because of this screwed up logic the NHL is implementing, the Thrashers would actually get the HIGHEST pick of the three, even though because of the most wins, they seem like the strongest team of the trio.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pachoo said:
Well I guess, but that is illogical. If that is the logic, then winning a game, so you are no longer in a tie with a team, should move you up a spot in the draft then right? Afterall, you are trying and got the win? Well that isn't the way it works. You win an extra game, end up with the better record, so you pick further down because of it.

Making the team with the most wins, in a tie, get the higher pick in the draft is totally illogical and exactly the opposite of the logic that dictates where teams pick in the draft in the first place (in reverse order of most points).

i think you are misunderstanding...

the team with the most wins in the event of a tie gets the LOWER pick...if teams are tied for last, the team with the most wins finishes 29th, the other team finishes 30th and the 30th team gets the top pick

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
NYR469 said:
i think you are misunderstanding...

the team with the most wins in the event of a tie gets the LOWER pick...if teams are tied for last, the team with the most wins finishes 29th, the other team finishes 30th and the 30th team gets the top pick

Ah, ok. Well that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
I fail to see how that would be great? Explain please.

Ovechkin is Russian, and not Canadian.

So if you hang around these boards long enough, you will start to understand, then laugh off these type of comments.

There are some people who want the "next one" to be North American, and not European.

It is backwards thinking, but prejudice is always an ugly thing, no matter what form it takes.

One of my best friends is Canadian, and she hates all Russian players. Yet she can't exactly say why.

It is the Don Cherry effect, I suppose.

Anyway, there are plenty of intelligent Canadian posters on this board who don't think this way, thankfully.

I suggest reading their posts and simply rolling your eyes at the other ones.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
I'm seriously worried right now...with the way Chicago is playing right now and the only Penguins game remaining being against Washington...I'm worried.

You are right. If the Pens win their last game and Chicago loses their last 2 games, Chicago would be in the 1st slot for the lottery. Penguins better just not show up for that last one. I can't imagine the Penguins NOT trying to lose the last game on purpose. This is for Ovechkin afterall. Winning a meaningless game so that you more than likely miss out on Ovechkin would be absolutely asinine.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Pachoo said:
You are right. If the Pens win their last game and Chicago loses their last 2 games, Chicago would be in the 1st slot for the lottery. Penguins better just not show up for that last one. I can't imagine the Penguins NOT trying to lose the last game on purpose. This is for Ovechkin afterall. Winning a meaningless game so that you more than likely miss out on Ovechkin would be absolutely asinine.

is it head-to-head goal differential as the third-tie breaker? if that's the case, we're still in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad