• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What in the **** was Skjei doing on the Rust goal by the way? He's literally on top of Georgiev....

I get the sense a lot of times that Skjei is trying to do too much this season.

On the one hand, I think a lot of it as a sophomore slump.

On the other hand, it could also be a situation where he's just not a first pairing guy. Nothing shameful about that.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Imo Kreider is probably our best forward but it is true that he can be more consistent.

For all we know, this could have been the year that happened - if you recall, he said he was feeling effects of his blood clot since the fall in terms of getting winded quickly, etc.

Next year will be the best chance he'll likely ever have to step up, lead this team and show that he can perform near his peak often. Nobody is on every night, but he can and should be, and Imo likely will be on more than he has been.

Those are very good points.

I'd really like to keep him and see more often, what we saw last night. And I mean that just in terms of sheer effort. The points won't always flow from that but it's amazing what happens when Kreider turns that motor on.

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
LOl. You guys are pulling my leg a bit I think. You're totally cool with him. That's OK. I'd like to see more from a guy that has more to give. That's all.

He doesn't have more to give. He's given this team every last bit of his body and soul, from playing through injuries, to growing as a person and a player, to making every player he's ever hit the ice with better. He's one of the very few wingers capable of carrying his own centers. He's even fought when asked.

No, he's not Alex Ovechkin. He was absolutely never going to be. But what he is, is top 25 at his position, a player that possesses a unique set of skills that nobody else in the NHL replicates, and he makes teammates better.

If you expected more than that when he was drafted 8 years ago, that's a problem with your expectations, not a problem with Kreider.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He puts up 30 points a year playing 14 mins a game. He does do the little things well, but he's a limited player in terms of skillset, so I am not sure why everyone is jumping on this "Fast is so great he isn't getting used enough"

Jesper Fast Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Last year he played the majority of games in the middle 6, often with good linemates. Not sure where to get the charts for these, perhaps SF has them
Everyone is jumping on that because when Kreider and Fast are together on the ice, the Rangers are an all-star team.

Maybe it's SSS but would it hurt to give it an extended look?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Not a problem. You’ve always been a respectful poster. I have a problem with the label ‘inconsistent’z, especially in regards to Kreider. There so many factors that can go into a players production. I understand that when you watch a game last night, you get greedy. You want that all the time. I do think that for both Kreider and Zibanejad, last night could be a turning point, where each player realizes it falls on their respective shoulders, and yes, they can handle. It was amazing to watch them be the best players on the ice and play at an elite level against that opponent.

Reactions: belford222

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
she seemed to know almost nothing about the game itself or any of the players..her commentary was absolute drivel. The ooh and ahhs at moments that didnt even warrant it were so unbelievably distracting and aggravating. I honestly would rather listen to the boston bruins announcers over her..and if you know me at all you know how brutal that is.

she. was. awful.

LUL that was Susan? Yeah she was awful but being an awful commentator has no correlation to being an awful actor. What type of logic leap is that? But keep her out of the booth for sure. She behaved like a fan with a mic. That's all. I put that on whoever put her in the booth.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not a problem. You’ve always been a respectful poster. I have a problem with the label ‘inconsistent’z, especially in regards to Kreider. There so many factors that can go into a players production. I understand that when you watch a game last night, you get greedy. You want that all the time. I do think that for both Kreider and Zibanejad, last night could be a turning point, where each player realizes it falls on their respective shoulders, and yes, they can handle. It was amazing to watch them be the best players on the ice and play at an elite level against that opponent.

It’s not that at all. He definitely does float. There is a massive discrepancy in his play much wider than other consistently elite players. All players have hot and cold streaks, but it’s not some vendetta that he of all players has been labeled a floater.

Why does HF boards take everything so personal?

Lundqvist is at best tier 3 high school with his stick handling too.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
LUL that was Susan? Yeah she was awful but being an awful commentator has no correlation to being an awful actor. What type of logic leap is that? But keep her out of the booth for sure. She behaved like a fan with a mic. That's all. I put that on whoever put her in the booth.

I didn't catch the game, so not exactly sure what NBC did with Susan. MSG had Liam Neeson in the Squarespace studio between periods talking to Al not too far back. So it's not unprecedented.

FWIW, a piece from a few years ago:

The New York Rangers' 10 Best Celebrity Fans

I totally forgot about Tim Robbins and Matthew Modine.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This inconsistency stuff irks me re: Kreider & Zibanejad; someone on the broadcast crew last night, (which, by the way, was absolutely awful collectively...), kept bring it up when commenting on Kreider. Both players have the attributes to plainly dominate games like that. This doesn't mean that when they aren't dominating they are in turn playing poorly. There is statistical evidence of the two having had a long-term, hugely positive impact on the Rangers when they're on the ice.

You can call the fact that Kreider doesn't "dominate" or score 4 points every game, by definition, "inconsistency", but there is no facet of hockey I can think of that is not inconsistent. It's a deeply chaotic sport that takes place 1, 271+ times NHL every year.

Edit: also, things always look worse when the puck isn't going in, (or vice versa if you're looking at defense re: goaltending).

Last edited:
Reactions: belford222

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This inconsistency stuff irks me re: Kreider & Zibanejad; someone of the broadcast crew last night, (which, by the way, was absolutely awful collectively...), kept bring it up when commenting on Kreider. Both players have the attributes to plainly dominate games like that. This doesn't mean that when they aren't dominating they are in turn playing poorly. There is statistical evidence of the two having had a long-term, hugely positive impact on the Rangers when they're on the ice.

You can call the fact that Kreider doesn't "dominate" or score 4 points every game, by definition, "inconsistency", but there is no facet of hockey I can think of that is not inconsistent. It's a deeply chaotic sport that takes place 1, 271+ times NHL every year.

Edit: also, things always look worse when the puck isn't going in, (or vice versa if you're looking at defense re: goaltending).

You summed it up better than I could.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ok.

Anyone been on a competitive team in a sport or business environment ?

I know some of not many of you have been on both.

None of the members on those teams fell short of long term potential for being flakey?

Kreider is a human FYI.

It really isn’t about not consistently scoring 4 goals a game.

I’ll use Lundqvist again as another example

Ever met some one who was so damn good at something but their ego got in the way and they ran a project or themselves into the ground because they thought they would always be invincible ?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s not that at all. He definitely does float. There is a massive discrepancy in his play much wider than other consistently elite players. All players have hot and cold streaks, but it’s not some vendetta that he of all players has been labeled a floater.

Why does HF boards take everything so personal?

Lundqvist is at best tier 3 high school with his stick handling too.

Because he's given every inch at the highest level and people who have never played at this level have the audacity to question his desire. When it comes to a member of this team, I take that personal.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This inconsistency stuff irks me re: Kreider & Zibanejad; someone on the broadcast crew last night, (which, by the way, was absolutely awful collectively...), kept bring it up when commenting on Kreider. Both players have the attributes to plainly dominate games like that. This doesn't mean that when they aren't dominating they are in turn playing poorly. There is statistical evidence of the two having had a long-term, hugely positive impact on the Rangers when they're on the ice.

There's also opponents, which I think everyone is forgetting.

To assume that Kreider can just ragdoll other NHL'ers when he feels like it is discrediting the talent and work-ethic of 600 other professionals who happen to be good at this spot.

The only player who ever just picked up the NHL and shook it around like a toy is prime Gretzky, and maybe a couple of years of Lemieux.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Because he's given every inch at the highest level and people who have never played at this level have the audacity to question his desire. When it comes to a member of this team, I take that personal.

He played with a blood clot in his neck which could have ended his career...slacker.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There's also opponents, which I think everyone is forgetting.

To assume that Kreider can just ragdoll other NHL'ers when he feels like it is discrediting the talent and work-ethic of 600 other professionals who happen to be good at this spot.

The only player who ever just picked up the NHL and shook it around like a toy is prime Gretzky, and maybe a couple of years of Lemieux.

Zibanejad was the best center in last night’s game...Crosby and Malkin need to be more consistent.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I get the sense a lot of times that Skjei is trying to do too much this season.

On the one hand, I think a lot of it as a sophomore slump.

On the other hand, it could also be a situation where he's just not a first pairing guy. Nothing shameful about that.

I don't think he is a first pairing guy unless perhaps he has a strong partner to carry him a bit.

I feel like he spent so much time with McDonagh that he has been trying to play like him and he doesn't have that ability. He needs to get back to playing his own game.

Reactions: Edge

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ok.

Anyone been on a competitive team in a sport or business environment ?

I know some of not many of you have been on both.

None of the members on those teams fell short of long term potential for being flakey?

Kreider is a human FYI.

It really isn’t about not consistently scoring 4 goals a game.

I’ll use Lundqvist again as another example

Ever met some one who was so damn good at something but their ego got in the way and they ran a project or themselves into the ground because they thought they would always be invincible ?

what exactly are you trying to say?

also unless you're a former NHLer your analogies to business and sports don't really mean shit

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember during a game a few years ago some random Islanders fan was making fun of this kid in the stands for having a Jesper Fast jersey. "Lol why would you spend money on that?"

Now Fast is one of our captains and I laugh in your face random Islanders fan.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I remember during a game a few years ago some random Islanders fan was making fun of this kid in the stands for having a Jesper Fast jersey. "Lol why would you spend money on that?"

She might have meant because he changes his number so often.

Reactions: Bozle

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Do you have some inside info that Karlsson wants to sign with Rangers?

I am not vetted so even if I did i wouldn't be allowed to tell you.

Just enjoy all the speculations and soon enough we will find out where EK lands.

Last edited:

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

If he was on the Islanders, they'd sign him for 35 million a year for 15 years.

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->