Speculation: Pittsburgh Penguins - All Time Team?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
:laugh: It'd be a tough choice, but I'd use Francis in Adams' spot on the PK, and keep Adams in the press box to be the first in in case of any injury.

Also laughing at the suggestion of Mario playing on Sid's wing. I love 87, but . . .

66 did play some LW during his career. Especially on the PP. Not that outrageous IMO.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
With this team, I'd rather have (peak)Scuderi than Letang. He was so good shorthanded, he or someone of his ilk would be a good choice.

tocchet92

Feb 9, 2007
I'd be interested in seeing an all-time team of players in their prime who ever wore a Penguins sweater. Probably have to include Marian Hossa, Markus Naslund, Jarome Iginla, Peter Mahovlich, Bryan Trottier...

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Granted I'm 34 so within my lifetime, or at least during the time I began watching... If you took their best single season as a penguin I would go with....

Mario Sid Tocchet
Geno Francis Jagr
Stevens Cullen Recchi (how much of a ***** would that line be to play against)
Nedved Staal Kovalev

Murphy Coffey
Zubov Letang
Orpik Ulfie

Barrasso
MAF

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Steve Mckenna Rico Fata Matt Bradley
Dave Roche Sean Pronger Kelly Buchburger
Wayne Primeau Brian Holzinger Matthew Barnaby
Tyler Wright w/the Ferraro twins

Ian Moran Peter Popovich
Rich Jackman Bobby Dollas
Joe Melichar Kevin Hatcher

Sebastian Caron
peter skudra

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
As a checking line center, Straka was a fraction as effective as Jordan Staal. He was okay, but as a left-wing or a center on a scoring line is where he really shined. If there's not room for him in a scoring position with some powerplay time (and there's not), Staal's a better choice.

I'd also take Tocchet and Mullen over Kehoe. Heck, I'd take James Neal before I'd take Kehoe.

On a fourth line, I might take Tocchet over Kovalev as well, though Kovy's playoff performances give me reason to think long and hard about that.

On D, Stackhouse needs to be someone else. Maybe Zubov. Maybe Dave Burrows.

But in answer to the TC's question, I think that team does quite, quite well against modern competition. There are some old guys whose games wouldn't work against modern competition (notably Stan Mikita, in my opinion), but there aren't a lot of them on his roster.

The goaltending's pretty shaky, however. Barrasso was nearly as erratic as Flower in the net. More highs, but almost as many lows.

Hmm, maybe I'll take a crack at this

66-71-68
Stevens-Crosby-Tocchet
Pronovost-Franchise-Mullen
Trottier-Staal-Kovalev

(Not that Malkin's necessarily better than Francis or Crosby; I just like these line combinations better)

Coffey-Carlyle
Burrows-Murphy
Gonchar-Letang

(one too many right-handed D, but I'm not sure I want Martin or Zalapski over Burrows or Zubov just due to handedness)

Barrasso
Fleury

So you would take a hands down better Center and make him a wing to an inferior one? Makes a ton of sense.

Once Mario started having back problems he played a lot of wing. He also played a lot of wing in Canada Cup. It really didn't dent his production.

Putting Crosby at center and Mario at Left Wing wouldn't really present much of a problem for 66, since he was already used to it. I think TC's first line is one of the two best possible that can be constructed from the pieces available to him (the other would have Malkin as the center, though in that case, I might want Mario taking the faceoff then sliding over).

Edit: Crap. Forgot Recchi. He needs to be there, but I'll be damned if I know where to put him. Like that Stevens Crosby Tocchet line too much. I guess he takes Kovalev's spot. He's a better player, but I'm not sure he makes that fourth line better.

matt1396

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto

Ian Moran Peter Popovich

Sebastian Caron
peter skudra

You forgot glass and adams

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa

Ian Moran Peter Popovich

Sebastian Caron
peter skudra

Replace Petr Skudra with Gordie Laxton or Brian Ford. Replace Kevin Hatcher with Duane Rupp. Replace Matthew Barnaby with Dan Kesa. Now you have a team.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Replace Petr Skudra with Gordie Laxton or Brian Ford. Replace Kevin Hatcher with Duane Rupp. Replace Matthew Barnaby with Dan Kesa. Now you have a team.

How about Steve Guenette, who Staggy, in his role as Mike Lange's sidekick, once called "the Elf from Guelph".

Speaking of announcers, you could throw Bob Prince in as honorary announcer on that team.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This thread again. :laugh: Summer boredom has officially set in. Whatever you do, don't go look up the last 4 times we made this thread.

mwalluk

Jul 2, 2009
Here's a suggestion: maybe switch it up to make it interesting and require some thought.

Pens all time team BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE ACTUAL LINES COMBOS THAT WERE USED. So none of this Malkin would play with Lemiuex and/or Jagr.

For instance, the Line of Kunitz-Malkin-Neal should be up there in discussion.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here's a suggestion: maybe switch it up to make it interesting and require some thought.

Pens all time team BUT YOU CAN ONLY USE ACTUAL LINES COMBOS THAT WERE USED. So none of this Malkin would play with Lemiuex and/or Jagr.

For instance, the Line of Kunitz-Malkin-Neal should be up there in discussion.

Ok.

Stevens - Lemieux - Jagr
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Straka - Lang - Kovalev
Adams - Crosby - Dupuis

Note: Credit to DB for that gem.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Ok.

Stevens - Lemieux - Jagr
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Straka - Lang - Kovalev
Adams - Crosby - Dupuis

Stevens Cullen Recchi - The "option" line
Stevens Lemieux Tocchet

Lots of "double shifting" if you go this route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->