Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
KB got fired in a very public way because DK wanted to shame her, and it's only natural to want to tell your side of the story.

I'm sure if DK had let her go in a low key way and made it an amicable parting, she wouldn't have felt the need to respond publicly.

None of us are perfect, and I doubt anyone acting so high and mighty in this thread would be feeling too good if your asshole boss tried to make you look incompetent in front of thousands of people while you had to find work.

DK has been a known asshole for years, already know enough people who have dealt with him, and we have yet another eye witness account from Z87 who worked with him as well as a developer.

Just sad this thread is mostly all about his dumb ass site and the soap operas he creates, instead of being what it's intended purpose was for.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
220px-Helmeted_Medieval_Knight_or_Soldier_%281%29.JPG

thanks this response tells anyone everything they need to know about the sudden reversal of opinions on dk here

i have bashed dk after each and every one of his very public and very embarrassing displays that follow all of his firings and this one is no different for me. if anyone has a better reason why the ppl posting in this thread are inclined to now defend him, please let me know. we have posters from this board detailing how much of a piece of shit he is, but something about this incident seems to be different?

this is a thread where ppl whine that pittsburgh sports writers are "sjws". good lord people, grow up

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I do. I don't LOVE him, but I think he's fairly entertaining and knowledgeable. Honestly though, I like the Ole 29er better and might even like Josh Getzoff as play by play better than Mears. Both are new to the job and clearly still learning, but something about Getzoff just seems smoother and natural to me.
Josh Getzoff is fantastic, he is miles, miles better than Mears, he is on the point, knowledgable, says what he sees not what he thinks Penguins management would want you to think that you see. getzoff is better than Lange, really really good

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I also like Getzoff more than Mears, but I don't dislike Mears.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I do. I don't LOVE him, but I think he's fairly entertaining and knowledgeable. Honestly though, I like the Ole 29er better and might even like Josh Getzoff as play by play better than Mears. Both are new to the job and clearly still learning, but something about Getzoff just seems smoother and natural to me.

I like the ole 29er but sometimes he's a bit much to handle. He can lay on the criticism really thick. Sometimes it's warranted, but sometimes he's just a bit over the top with it.

Reactions: Shady Machine

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Yeah I agree with you Pancakes.

Ol 29'er will lose his mind when Malkin takes a minor penalty and will go on a 30 second angry rant. Like chill out dude.

Errey? He's a little too zany for me. He thinks he is more entertaining than he really is.

Mears is a really nice change of pace for me. He is calm, rational, level-headed and actually calls the action on the ice as it's occurring.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like the ole 29er but sometimes he's a bit much to handle. He can lay on the criticism really thick. Sometimes it's warranted, but sometimes he's just a bit over the top with it.

Agreed that he can get a little over the top at times. I just like that he's willing to criticize the team and call it like it is.

Honestly, overall I'm pretty pleased with the Pens radio and TV broadcasters right now. Not the best in the business, but solid. Steiggy was bottom 5. It's nice to watch/listen to the game without the announcing being a major distraction.

Reactions: Pancakes

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
mostly when Geno is in the slump, he could be brutal..
Agreed.. 29'er come across as "angry" a lot of the time, which is surprising given that the Pens have won 2 cups back to back.

I can't imagine what his demeanor would be like if he worked for a bottom dweller like the Coyotes - would probably be losing his mind 24/7.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Josh Getzoff is fantastic, he is miles, miles better than Mears, he is on the point, knowledgable, says what he sees not what he thinks Penguins management would want you to think that you see. getzoff is better than Lange, really really good

No one is better than Lange, but that's mostly nostalgia talking. I've been pleasantly surprised by Getzoff. It's not easy going from pre-intermission-post game host to play by play, but he's done a really nice job so far.

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I also like Getzoff more than Mears, but I don't dislike Mears.
I guess I think Mears is a good guy, I would probably love him more if we are winning but he is driving me nuts with an obvious attempt to paint things with rosy colors when things go bad.

mrcod4

Nov 22, 2016
Steve 'DANGLES' Mears. Can someone tell him to stop saying that every 5 seconds? Annoying.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I guess I think Mears is a good guy, I would probably love him more if we are winning but he is driving me nuts with an obvious attempt to paint things with rosy colors when things go bad.

Pens are a product that are a revenue stream for the company Mears works for. Bashing them would be counterproductive for his career.

He did say a few games ago trades should be happening, as did Errey. That's a pretty big condemnation of the on ice product TBTH.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I am pretty sure any other superstar in any other league (NFL, MLB, etc) would have been asked by now why they are playing so bad. It seems like reporters ask why the Penguins are playing poorly but no one asked Sid himself.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
this is true: just driving back from lunch listening Ol' 29er on savran, he said basically he wants to see Sid punches Tavares in the face tonight and take penalty to snap them out of lethargic state or bad play or whatever. And this guy is hockey analyst...Joke

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Steve 'DANGLES' Mears. Can someone tell him to stop saying that every 5 seconds? Annoying.
how about every time Murray makes the save: Remember this Save, so the fiftieth time when we actually make comeback he can say I told you remember that save

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As an aside, wasn't the premise of the show that the X-files was such a low-priority division that it only had one agent assigned to it? And that the female lead was from another division on a temp-assignment to make a recommendation as to whether it should be shut down? If I'm remembering this right, it would make sense that red-haired lady didn't have a desk in that ratty, boiler-room looking office of whatshisname--technically, she didn't even work in that building, let alone division or office.

She probably had a cleaner, bigger office in a medical building somewhere (tempted to scroll through netflix synopses to figure this out, but I'm not going to). As a physician for the FBI, she was almost certainly making more money than he was, btw.

Shh...you're ruining her narrative that the show was anti-feminist.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Re: Mears.

He's trying too hard to create his audience, he just needs to relax and have fun. You can tell he's trying things and hoping something will stick and he's become repetitive. If anything, I don't think Bob is the right Pbp partner for him.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Speaking of Steigy, the 2017 Cup parade was the single most cringe worthy performance I have ever seen, anywhere. Jawdroppingly terrible. If the Pens win another one, I hope he passes the torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad