Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does this work?

I don't really have any huge issues with any of this. I mean, I kept reading expecting like that he sent unsolicited dick pics, withheld paychecks, or verbally abused her or something. He sounds like an ass to work for, that's about it. It also sounds like she sucked at her job, in the boss's opinion at least.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't really have any huge issues with any of this. I mean, I kept reading expecting like that he sent unsolicited dick pics, withheld paychecks, or verbally abused her or something. He sounds like an ass to work for, that's about it. It also sounds like she sucked at her job, in the boss's opinion at least.

Katie Brown's article does Kovacevic more favors than Kovacevic's does. This isn't wrongful termination--it's just termination.

Katie Brown said:
He told coworkers that he needed to edit all my stories first because he was worried I’d misspell players’ names since I was new.
Malkin missed a game and wouldn’t be going to Boston the day after. Not a surprise. That day I had to run home right after to get the turkey out and it was a little while before I could sit down to write. Understandable, right? Nope.
Dejan refused to pay me an extra $4–5k per year, even though they didn’t offer benefits. We were 1099 contractors. Expenses were paid aside from gas and food on the road. It was always “write it off on your taxes” only that’s not how it works. You drove 400 miles round trip? Write it off on your taxes.
Another time, I had to stay with a coworker at her hotel in Manhattan (she was there for a family event) because he refused to pay for a room for one night near Madison Square Garden. What if she hadn’t been there at the same time?

-Business owners don't trust new hires

-Business owners will fire new hires if they casually blow a deadline without forewarning two days after they've been read the riot act about something else

-Business owners pay you what they offer you. They will not add $5k after you've agreed on a sum just because you don't like the compensation you just agreed to. In fact, that you would even ask this will make them angry.

-Business owners will not pay for a more expensive hotel because you think the hotel they will pay for is inconvenient

Welcome to Earth, Katie Brown.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I mean, it totally seems like he runs a rinky-dink operation. I'd want to do my homework about it before I ever signed on for a job with his outfit. And if she sucks at her job...so what? What does he owe her?

The whole thing just seems like 2 idiots who want to blame one another for neither doing their due diligence.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
DKS put a piece up on his website; Site Stuff: On being a really bad boss sometimes

Basically, I didn't mean to be bad but not once does he apologise to her.

From that article: "We've had some turnover here, it's no secret. I could repeat that this is common for startups, which it really is."
You know, I've worked for a number of startups during my 18+ year career. The only ones that had high turnover were the ones that were either bad to work for, or in serious financial trouble, or both. In fact, the place I worked for that was fantastic to work for but in financial trouble still didn't see much turnover that wasn't entirely required by financial cutbacks...

If you've got good staff and a good place to work, you don't have turnover.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
DK is a wanker, but Katie Brown seems kind of annoying too. But she didn't deserve that at all.

I read some of her tweets, she's "one of those" people that is complaining how Scully doesn't have her own desk and that it took 7yrs for a woman to direct X-Files. Maybe the X-Files is closely guarded by the writers and producers and it might not really attract a lot of female directors, but hey, gotta push that narrative...for something that is over 15yrs old!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From that article: "We've had some turnover here, it's no secret. I could repeat that this is common for startups, which it really is."
You know, I've worked for a number of startups during my 18+ year career. The only ones that had high turnover were the ones that were either bad to work for, or in serious financial trouble, or both. In fact, the place I worked for that was fantastic to work for but in financial trouble still didn't see much turnover that wasn't entirely required by financial cutbacks...

If you've got good staff and a good place to work, you don't have turnover.

Most start-ups hire a ton of people for the first year, then the next year first quarter, they start to let people go slowly because things are stable. In a "thanks for helping us get stable and run smoothly, now it's time for you to go!" and I have worked for some start-ups that do run well, but we live in a world where on-boarding and off-boarding is a thing, massive companies abuse it and they are within the laws to do so, it's a shitty dick move that happens far too often.

DK is a moron though, he isn't a business man and he thinks he is, he can't run a business. Him thinking he can is hilarious.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I mean, it totally seems like he runs a rinky-dink operation. I'd want to do my homework about it before I ever signed on for a job with his outfit. And if she sucks at her job...so what? What does he owe her?

The whole thing just seems like 2 idiots who want to blame one another for neither doing their due diligence.

The more I think about it, the worse the Medium piece makes Katie Brown look. Any prospective employer is now going to see her as a high-maintenance, duplicitous, would-be contract breaker who prioritizes her culinary interests over her professional obligations and then tells tales out of school about her old bosses. The obvious question for any hiring manager would be "why wouldn't I expect her to do the same to me?" She may have rendered herself unemployable without a name change.

DK is a wanker, but Katie Brown seems kind of annoying too. But she didn't deserve that at all.

I read some of her tweets, she's "one of those" people that is complaining how Scully doesn't have her own desk and that it took 7yrs for a woman to direct X-Files. Maybe the X-Files is closely guarded by the writers and producers and it might not really attract a lot of female directors, but hey, gotta push that narrative...for something that is over 15yrs old!

That explains why she couldn't find work--companies were doing their due diligence on her social media behavior. Kovacevic clearly didn't, seeing only "nhl.com," and figuring he could sell that to his subscriber base as some type of great hire (forget Josh Yohe and those greedy undercutters at the Athletic, I got a NATIONAL REPORTER). You're right about DK. This is an amateur hour mistake that makes him out to be a complete wanker.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
At this point, you have to wonder if anyone with any kind of employment options would choose to work for DK. He's earned quite the reputation.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I actually though Katie was fine. Not great but knew the game well enough to report informatively on it. Bradford is nothing special either, and in fact has made some points that I thought were idiotic. Calling out Jarry in the 2-1 CAR loss for ex.
Of course I thought Yohe was nothing great either.

But ANYBODY not desperate for work now knows all they need to know about this arrogant pr!ck and whether they want this kind of nightmare for a boss.

I'll be very interested to watch his subscription levels and esp whether he is able to poach any more well known local writers. Guessing No.

Karma, DK. She knows you now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I actually though Katie was fine. Not great but knew the game well enough to report informatively on it. Bradford is nothing special either, and in fact has made some points that I thought were idiotic. Calling out Jarry in the 2-1 CAR loss for ex.
Of course I thought Yohe was nothing great either.

But ANYBODY not desperate for work now knows all they need to know about this arrogant pr!ck and whether they want this kind of nightmare for a boss.

I'll be very interested to watch his subscription levels and esp whether he is able to poach any more well known local writers. Guessing No.

Karma, DK. She knows you now.

Yeah Yohe is nothing special either.

The thing that annoys me about the Pittsburgh media is none of them have great sources within the team. When trades/big news gets broken it feels like we often hear it from Bobby Mac or Friedman before someone in Pittsburgh.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The more I think about it, the worse the Medium piece makes Katie Brown look. Any prospective employer is now going to see her as a high-maintenance, duplicitous, would-be contract breaker who prioritizes her culinary interests over her professional obligations and then tells tales out of school about her old bosses. The obvious question for any hiring manager would be "why wouldn't I expect her to do the same to me?" She may have rendered herself unemployable without a name change.

That explains why she couldn't find work--companies were doing their due diligence on her social media behavior. Kovacevic clearly didn't, seeing only "nhl.com," and figuring he could sell that to his subscriber base as some type of great hire (forget Josh Yohe and those greedy undercutters at the Athletic, I got a NATIONAL REPORTER). You're right about DK. This is an amateur hour mistake that makes him out to be a complete wanker.

Even without a non-disclose/separation package (which would have cost DK peanuts), she should have just said "I appreciate the opportunity". He could have said "though it didn't work out here, we appreciate her hard work."

There is a substantive bit or two in her complaint, but it does her little good to point it out.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Even without a non-disclose/separation package (which would have cost DK peanuts), she should have just said "I appreciate the opportunity". He could have said "though it didn't work out here, we appreciate her hard work."

There is a substantive bit or two in her complaint, but it does her little good to point it out.

You'll get no argument from me that his public comments are bush league. Brown should have just kept quiet like a normal person and everyone would have assumed he fired her because he's a maniac (which, increasingly, seems to be true), not because she viewed contractual obligations as nonbinding.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Gajtka and Audrey are his Crown Jewels. A budding young talent an DK protege, and the best to cover the Penn State Nittany Lions in my time.

He loses either one of them, he loses even more subscribers.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Katie Brown can suck at her job and DK is a horrible person. Both things can be true. Katie strikes me as every millennial dipshit I interview whose first question is usually about how many weeks vacation they are entitled to.

Regardless, in about a week or so, this will be the most active thread on our board no matter what the team does.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Gajtka and Audrey are his Crown Jewels. A budding young talent an DK protege, and the best to cover the Penn State Nittany Lions in my time.

He loses either one of them, he loses even more subscribers.

Gajtka is a crown jewel? The guy is a grade A SJW d-bag and a horrible writer. If I ever see that turd in Montreal I'm going to challenge him to a fight.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Gajtka is a crown jewel? The guy is a grade A SJW d-bag and a horrible writer. If I ever see that turd in Montreal I'm going to challenge him to a fight.
Haha, to DK at least. Not a fan anymore.

Film it when you do please. Dude takes so much pride in his pristine diet, exercise regimen and Obi-Wan Jabroni haircut.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I run a subscription site like DK’s. And like DK I came from working for a large media company with tons of resources. He’s going to have to learn that, without significant financial backing, he can’t operate like he still works for a major media company. Are post-game quotes after a game in Winnepeg worth the $3000 it costs to send someone there? Or would his subscribers be better served if two editors watch the game on TV and record a podcast of analysis immediately afterward? New media isn’t recycling the same quotes as 500 other media outlets. It’s providing your expertise and personality on a consistent basis to your fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->