Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Sprong drama is so stupid. A prospect who’s never been a sure thing and who missed a critical year of development due to injury is gonna benefit from having a big, full year in the AHL. No reason to believe Sullivan hates him or even controls his destiny.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Didn't Sully promote Sprong to the top line after like 2 or 3 games?

Sully gives young players more opportunities to succeed then any coach i'v followed.

Lots of coaches don't like to play young players, and when they do play young players they play them 5 minutes a game on the 4th line.

Remember Jake's first game? He played on a line with Geno and Phil, most coaches don't do that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Didn't Sully promote Sprong to the top line after like 2 or 3 games?

Sully gives young players more opportunities to succeed then any coach i'v followed.

Lots of coaches don't like to play young players, and when they do play young players they play them 5 minutes a game on the 4th line.

Remember Jake's first game? He played on a line with Geno and Phil, most coaches don't do that.

100%.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Sure, I think Sully's a great coach. The best we've had in the Crosby era by far and one of the best in the NHL. That being said, I think Sprong is ready

Reactions: BHD

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah. I hate his schtick, but he does know his hockey at least re Pens. He's lazy too re other teams in the league and can't be bothered to watch them, so I don't listen to him when for ex) he says the Olympic Canadien team's D are slow and awful lol.

But locally he's good.

I can't even count how many times Madden has claimed his inside sources told him something that later turned out to not be true. I can't remember if it was Pat Burns or Pat Quinn that he said was in town and was about to be announced as the next head coach of the Penguins back in late 2008, for example.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single time he got something right that wasn't reported by a more trustworthy source first...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can't even count how many times Madden has claimed his inside sources told him something that later turned out to not be true. I can't remember if it was Pat Burns or Pat Quinn that he said was in town and was about to be announced as the next head coach of the Penguins back in late 2008, for example.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single time he got something right that wasn't reported by a more trustworthy source first...

I think it was Pat Quinn before he went to the Leafs or something like that.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
How many of those came in major sports? They've made the Sweet Sixteen once since 1955 and that was 16 years ago. They haven't won a single national title in football post-BCS and they only claim 2 prior to that. They've never won a College World Series. They've never even made the Frozen Four. List all the wrestling and water polo "titles" you want, they're a joke when compared to the real blue bloods in collegiate athletics. That wouldn't even bother me without the comical arrogance, but they can't come remotely close to backing it up. Michael. Rodent.

Not new to the board but returning after a five year absence. As a UVA fan I’m really glad you include a college World Series as a major sports national title. Takes some, very little but some, sting from the UMBC loss away

turd

Feb 1, 2013

He was pretty much all over the Leveon Bell suspension a couple years ago, wasn’t he? I mean, I think he’s connected. He’s been around the team for several years and works for the flagship station, so he’s obviously going to talk to people in the organization. Not to mention, his ratings in that time slot are second to none, so people are also going to feed him stuff to get it out to where the most people will hear it.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
He was pretty much all over the Leveon Bell suspension a couple years ago, wasn’t he? I mean, I think he’s connected. He’s been around the team for several years and works for the flagship station, so he’s obviously going to talk to people in the organization. Not to mention, his ratings in that time slot are second to none, so people are also going to feed him stuff to get it out to where the most people will hear it.

Sorry, I should have specified for Penguins stuff. And that's just the thing when it comes to the Penguins stuff - he's been around for so long, you'd think he would get some things in advance, but he pretty much never does. I can't think of a single instance that Madden called correctly ahead of time without someone else reporting it first since I moved back to Pittsburgh in 2006!

If the Pens want other teams to know someone's available, they leak it to McKenzie, who will report it in places that other teams' execs will see and hear. It's not terribly useful to leak that to local media in Pittsburgh, unless they aren't actually trying to move a player, but instead want to light a fire under them. I do think Madden is used for that. But that's a bit different than actively trying to trade a player.

Basically, I believe the Pens find Madden to be a useful idiot sometimes, but not if they're actually trying to trade someone.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Nah if he confirms that they're trying to trade Phil, I believe it. It fits perfectly w leaking to Cook to erode some of the fan base popularity to make it easier to get rid of him.
Same w Depres and others.
Pens PR Mgmt 101.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not that I recall, he's been on the trade Kessel bandwagon for a while but I don't recall him every saying trade Malkin. That mostly came from Canadian reporters that the Penguins may move Kessel, specifically Kypreos.

Friedman made some comments in 2015 and then immediately said “it was his opinion” after the situation exploded.

This was pre-Kessel.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Friedman made some comments in 2015 and then immediately said “it was his opinion” after the situation exploded.

This was pre-Kessel.
I believe he stated that Malkin was angry or something and that he wanted out, Pittsburgh fans basically took a fat giant dump on him and he re-phrased it as "in my opinion" and yeah it was around then that I just didn't care for him at all. He tried to Eklund/Insert annoying media moron-it up and it backfired heavily and now he does his thoughts piece as a "IMO" crap.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nah if he confirms that they're trying to trade Phil, I believe it. It fits perfectly w leaking to Cook to erode some of the fan base popularity to make it easier to get rid of him.
Same w Depres and others.
Pens PR Mgmt 101.
RE: Despres...

I secretly hope he's invited to the Pens camp this summer/fall and signs with WBS on an AHL deal. Just for my own personal reasons of hope that he can still carve out a career now that he's put a season behind him without a head injury.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I believe he stated that Malkin was angry or something and that he wanted out, Pittsburgh fans basically took a fat giant dump on him and he re-phrased it as "in my opinion" and yeah it was around then that I just didn't care for him at all. He tried to Eklund/Insert annoying media moron-it up and it backfired heavily and now he does his thoughts piece as a "IMO" crap.
Wasn't that around the time Geno was about to sign an extension? I seem to recall there was something about an article in one of the Russian sports rags that quoted his father about which teams he'd consider going to. Then, recently there was that interview Geno did for one of the Canadian media outlets (I don't remember which one) where he said he did think about it, about going to another team where he'd be the number one, but ultimately decided to stay in Pittsburgh. So maybe Fridge wasn't entirely on point as to why, but in hindsight it would seem like Geno was thinking about hitting FA. Thank goodness he didn't.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
RE: Despres...

I secretly hope he's invited to the Pens camp this summer/fall and signs with WBS on an AHL deal. Just for my own personal reasons of hope that he can still carve out a career now that he's put a season behind him without a head injury.
Maybe him and Bennett? :popcorn::laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wasn't that around the time Geno was about to sign an extension? I seem to recall there was something about an article in one of the Russian sports rags that quoted his father about which teams he'd consider going to. Then, recently there was that interview Geno did for one of the Canadian media outlets (I don't remember which one) where he said he did think about it, about going to another team where he'd be the number one, but ultimately decided to stay in Pittsburgh. So maybe Fridge wasn't entirely on point as to why, but in hindsight it would seem like Geno was thinking about hitting FA. Thank goodness he didn't.
No the angle was that Geno wasn't happy and he played that up which I think drew the ire of the Pens and the fans.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@DegenX
"I have no idea if the Penguins are going to trade Malkin. I would suspect no until a sale gets done. But I can tell you this – there are people around the league who have been saying they've been hearing rumors that Malkin is not happy and would welcome a change of scenery."
Exclusive: Elliotte Friedman talks to Pensburgh about his Evgeni Malkin trade comments

Instead of being my usual lazy ass self, I decided to google it as I wanted to remember exactly what it was, this is it. You CAN NOT say that shit without "in my opinion" attached to it first without getting flamed for it and he rightfully did and with that asinine comment, he lost my vote of confidence in his "thoughts" on the league that he usually did/does.

I know he apologized and what not, but since then, I just don't trust what he says even though maybe I should given his sources and respectability around the league, but man, that moment...I just grouped him into the other ass clowns we have to read and deal with like Rossi and Madden, etc.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
@DegenX

Exclusive: Elliotte Friedman talks to Pensburgh about his Evgeni Malkin trade comments

Instead of being my usual lazy ass self, I decided to google it as I wanted to remember exactly what it was, this is it. You CAN NOT say that **** without "in my opinion" attached to it first without getting flamed for it and he rightfully did and with that asinine comment, he lost my vote of confidence in his "thoughts" on the league that he usually did/does.

I know he apologized and what not, but since then, I just don't trust what he says even though maybe I should given his sources and respectability around the league, but man, that moment...I just grouped him into the other ass clowns we have to read and deal with like Rossi and Madden, etc.
Thanks for the article link, it refreshed my memory. Malkin had signed his extension two years earlier, my grasp of time slipped a bit there. Fridge clarified his statements, which actually jives with some of the rumors that were going around about everyone being unhappy. But Johnston was fired and we all know how that turned out. IDK, that Freidman went out of his way to clarify what he meant and correct any misconceptions actually speaks to his integrity as a journalist to me.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Is PG's Penguins articles now fully behind a paywall? For the past month or so whenever I click to their article via twitter I only get a blank page.

If so, this must be relatively new development as I remember reading their articles during the season.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Is PG's Penguins articles now fully behind a paywall? For the past month or so whenever I click to their article via twitter I only get a blank page.

If so, this must be relatively new development as I remember reading their articles during the season.

That's just the quality of their content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->