Confirmed Trade: [PIT/STL] Ryan Reaves and 51st pick to Pittsburgh for Sundqvist and 31st pick

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Foligno was one of the leaders in hits. Reaves is a trash hockey player be real man. Foligno is a bottom 6 winger but is a far better hockey player then ryan reaves. Foligno had as many goals as reaves had points he had more hits and is four years younger. Asking if foligno is still in the league is just ignorance

Thanks for your input but you've missed most of the ongoing dialogue, and the point for that matter. Hornqvist and Kunitz have done a fine job filling the stat sheets for the Pens over the last number of seasons in terms of hits and goal scoring. Foligno doesn't put the fear of anything into anybody....whereas Reaves will impact a number of game situations going forward. So yeah, you can keep your "far better hockey player" - we're fine over here. And just for the record, saying Reaves is a trash hockey player is just as ignorant.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I have mixed feelings about the Blues vs Pens being the first game of the season. I am definitely planning to tune it to watch him in Pittsburgh during the early part of the year. I'm sure that's going to be an emotional game for him, though.

Pens fans: I can't think of a single Blues fan/poster that is happy he's gone. Many are happy with the return, but if you guaranteed he'd re-sign in St Louis in a year, I think we'd all think that was a great development.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kostin better turn into something special, because the Blues just traded my favorite player. Hopefully the Blues can sign him back next year. I love what he brings to the table on the 4th line.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
It's an absolute joke that people who know nothing about Reaves are **** talking him so much. He doesn't cheap shot and he doesn't board players. He's not a dirty player but he does play physical. News flash, just because someone knocked your favorite player on their ass it doesn't make them dirty or a goon.

He's a very good skater, works really hard in the offseason every year to improve his hockey ability. He's not an offensive player but once he gets in on the forecheck and starts cycling, you're not going to get the puck off of him.

The fact is once you start watching him play every game and you get to see him play against your rivals you're going to love him. If you don't, St.Louis fans will gladly take him back when he hits UFA.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Reaves has recorded 1324 hits in his entire NHL career. The video you linked is the one and only hit of those 1324 that led to a suspension. That's impressively not dirty considering the way he plays. I'm hoping you're not trying to say that Reaves is a cheap shotter or dirty.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Reaves has recorded 1324 hits in his entire NHL career. The video you linked is the one and only hit of those 1324 that led to a suspension. That's impressively not dirty considering the way he plays. I'm hoping you're not trying to say that Reaves is a cheap shotter or dirty.

Not to mention... no match penalties and a grand total of 8 game miscounducts - which in itself says nothing as there's no clue as to why they were handed out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Well, a year ago #31 was a 2nd rounder :laugh:

Sundqvist+2nd rounder for Reaves +lower 2nd rounder

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Foligno was one of the leaders in hits. Reaves is a trash hockey player be real man. Foligno is a bottom 6 winger but is a far better hockey player then ryan reaves. Foligno had as many goals as reaves had points he had more hits and is four years younger. Asking if foligno is still in the league is just ignorance

Such a trash hockey player.

Where were all these Reaves experts before the deal?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013

He said Reaves doesn't cheap shot and he doesn't board players.

Hope this video has clarified the validity of his statement.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Not all of us are unhappy for acquiring Reaves.

Exactly. You can tell who watched Reaves here and who didn't. It was a complete laugh fest on the **** 99% of the people who didn't want Reaves wrote about him. Obviously just stat watchers and ready to jump off the bridge for giving up 20 spots in a weak draft and a 23 year old center with 1 goal in 28 nhl games that likely would've been lost on waivers in the fall for one of the best 4th line wingers in the league and an element that we were missing on this team.

I'm excited about Reaves joining the Pens. Everytime I watched a Blues game I would come away with wishing Reaves was on the Pens. Can't wait till he trucks a **** player we all hate and then he will win over the people that never saw him play.

I can't believe some people compared him to Sestito, Glass, and others like him. LMFAO watch some games first before you just refer to stats.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
He said Reaves doesn't cheap shot and he doesn't board players.

Hope this video has clarified the validity of his statement.

Are there more examples? Is there a pattern?

I'm not particularly worried about one hit, you could find a dirty or borderline hit somewhere in the career of lots of guys I don't consider to be dirty. Especially when they're a bottom six player whose role is hitting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Do you have anything to add to what's being discussed, or would you rather embarrass yourself with your off topic childish antics?

His point - a very valid one - is that one example doesn't change things. If I wasn't so lazy I could find an example of any player in the league doing something dirty or over the line at least once.

So just like calling Cam Ward a "goal scorer" is a crap example, so is posting 1 video of Reaves hitting someone from behind. So now who really is embarrassing themselves?

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015

I remember that hit, and remember it being argued that it was mostly the Shark players fault for that hit for the way he positioned his body at the last possible moment, or something like that IIRC.

If you hit hard, and you hit often on the forecheck, chances are, eventually something like that will happen. Whether you are a dirty player who attempts something like that or not.

Reaves is not a dirty player.

As much as many of you Pens fans are bitter about overpaying for a 4th line player, you are really trying to make nothing into a problem.

If you guys had acquired him by signing him, you would absolutely love having him on your team.

Unfortunately, many of you have already made up your minds to hate him.

If this were many other players, we Blues fans would be agreeing with you. Like if you had traded for Steve Ott or something. But Reaves isn't a dirty player.

He is big, tough, hits hard, tenacious and stands up for his teammates.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Reaves has had one bad hit, that's it. I think it's a testament to him that despite all the hits he's thrown around, only one can be considered dirty.

I honestly believe Pens fans will love Reaves the moment he steps onto the ice. The guy works his tail off each shift and comes to the defense of his teammates at any cost. He's probably not going to score more than 15 points in the season, but his value both on and off the ice will be apparent quickly. Reaves is also good for some hilarious antics as the season progresses, he loves riling up the opposing team any way he can.

Really gonna miss the guy.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Do you have anything to add to what's being discussed, or would you rather embarrass yourself with your off topic childish antics?

camron-gif.gif

HighNote made a good point based on the player's history, and all you did was post a video and refuse to engage in a discussion. And now your response after getting called out is blaming others for "off topic childish antics"? Yikes. :laugh:

They've seen the guy play and know his history. Your single video doesnt invalidate those opinions.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
About 90% of this thread is going to look pretty stupid about a month into the season when the core Penguins fans have fallen in love with what Reaves brings to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad