Trade: [PIT/OAK] Martavis Bryant to Oakland for 79th overall

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I don't understand NFL trades. SB MVP Holmes went for a 6th yet Martavis for a 3rd?
3rd seems like little value but Martavis wanted out anyway. Can't complain.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Getting a high 3rd rounder for the Steelers 3rd WR going into his contract year is great value for the Steelers. From their standpoint they will draft a WR today and fill that spot for cheap for the next 4 years.

Bryant can be great for the Raiders too though. I will say this - he looked much slower last year after his time off. I don't know what the reason was, but he didn't look like the same guy to me. Didn't have the same burst.

If the Raiders get pre-suspension Bryant though.. look out. He was tracking to be an elite WR. He'll never be the natural hands catcher you want out of a WR1, but there aren't many guys with his size/speed combo around.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't understand NFL trades. SB MVP Holmes went for a 6th yet Martavis for a 3rd?
3rd seems like little value but Martavis wanted out anyway. Can't complain.

The Steelers were done with Holmes. He had legal troubles going on and was going to be suspended for the beginning of the next season. They would have cut him if they couldn't find a trade.

They had more leverage with Bryant as they were content to keep him around for one year on a cheap contract to try to win a Super Bowl.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Getting a high 3rd rounder for the Steelers 3rd WR going into his contract year is great value for the Steelers. From their standpoint they will draft a WR today and fill that spot for cheap for the next 4 years.

Bryant can be great for the Raiders too though. I will say this - he looked much slower last year after his time off. I don't know what the reason was, but he didn't look like the same guy to me. Didn't have the same burst.

If the Raiders get pre-suspension Bryant though.. look out. He was tracking to be an elite WR. He'll never be the natural hands catcher you want out of a WR1, but there aren't many guys with his size/speed combo around.
He'll never be an elite WR, nor should he be a #1.
He's extremely talented, but he's unreliable and immature.

I don't think he'll be happy in Oakland either because they have Nelson and Cooper.

GL Raiders, but don't get too excited.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
cooper, nelson, and bryant look pretty good on paper

but cooper drops too many passes, nelson is injury prone, and bryant manages to find a new way to mess up his season year after year

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He'll never be an elite WR, nor should he be a #1.
He's extremely talented, but he's unreliable and immature.

I don't think he'll be happy in Oakland either because they have Nelson and Cooper.

GL Raiders, but don't get too excited.

More like he has Derek Carr throwing so he won’t be happy.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

I agree. I am pleased with this trade. They don't have to deal with his drama anymore about complaining about getting enough playing time. I'm very surprised they were able to get a third with the UFA status after the season and his suspension problems.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
cooper, nelson, and bryant look pretty good on paper

but cooper drops too many passes, nelson is injury prone, and bryant manages to find a new way to mess up his season year after year

The biggest issue for Bryant is that he goes from a vertically based offense..to whatever 1998 offense Gruden is installing and a QB that doesn't push the ball downfield.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Feels like a classic Raiders move of getting a guy with a lot of skill and good measurables, but who can't put it together. Such a flashy WR core with little to no substance. A lockerroom cancer, a washed up player that was carried by one of the greatest QBs ever, and then whatever the hell Amari Cooper is.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The biggest issue for Bryant is that he goes from a vertically based offense..to whatever 1998 offense Gruden is installing and a QB that doesn't push the ball downfield.

That might not be a bad thing for Bryant. Last year he was more effective on short slants that he took downfield as opposed to the deep bombs we've seen in past years. He didn't seem to be on the same page with Roethlisberger all year.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It took me a couple minutes to warm up to the deal, mostly because I think the Steelers' window is very tiny, but it's hard to argue against value-wise.

At first I thought that they might have been able to do better but then after seeing how they have mucked up this draft it looks like the best thing they did all weekend

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This has been a clown show day by Oakland.
Some bad moves by OAK. They cut their 2nd round pick, the Safety from last year and wasted a 3rd round pick, the one they got form AZ for moving down. Might as well stayed put and drafted Davenport to replace Mack, if they were going to blow the extra pick they got from AZ.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Still can't believe the Raiders traded a third round pick for Bryant with all the issues he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad