Pink Ladies Jerseys...good/bad idea?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As a woman, I saw the prototype in th paper today. It is a contored jesey, made to show the female curves, and has two colors, looks like they'll be pink with two white stripes running down the sides and
over the arms to empahsize body contours. The shape I have no problem with, nor the style. However, as much as I like pink, its not really in accordance with NHL team colors. If I were advising the people marketing those, i'd say stop the pink when they get to Girls XXL sizes....Its more of a toddler to teen color. For the rest of us, how 'bout regular team colors in the same style, or at least neutral colors like black or white.

I'd wear this http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2188952&cp=2164192&clickid=body_bestsell_img

but a jersey is a whole lot more pink.

Last edited:

Aeryn

Jul 13, 2006
As a marketer....I have to concede it's a good idea to sell more merch to the chicks.

As a hockey fan...I find it revolting.

If I want to show off my curves, I've got a slinky black dress for that. At a hockey game, I want to get wrapped up in my team's colors in a jersey that could fit two of me. :D

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As a marketer....I have to concede it's a good idea to sell more merch to the chicks.

As a hockey fan...I find it revolting.

If I want to show off my curves, I've got a slinky black dress for that. At a hockey game, I want to get wrapped up in my team's colors in a jersey that could fit two of me. :D

Heh, i've got a men's XL jersey that could be described that way.
Seeing as I actually fit a youth XL pretty well(shoulders a little tight)

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i asked my gal the same question a few weeks ago and she got a look like she just drank sour milk. she said that not only would she not wear it, but she would encourage others not to wear it.

basically (and this is her feeling), she thinks that hockey is a different sport than others (for this example, she used baseball). she said that baseball has more casual fans than hockey has ever had and as a result, there's the opportunity to make more money from the rubes who wear the pink gear (herself included) in an effort to make the gear seem more feminine.

but as far as she's concerned (and she played hockey for a few years, she's from winnipeg) if the women hockey players don't wear pink jerseys and figure skates, they shouldn't market it that way. she'd rather go to a game with a regular jersey on because that's what a real fan would do.

personally, i wouldn't mind pink/white jerseys. i'm on the side of casual fan marketing = money no matter how you slice it. money is something the nhl can certainly use right now. it's bad enough that most teams have jerseys that are awful looking, some pink in the predators jersey might actually spruce that fugly thing up. plus, my gal would look gorgeous in a pink/white bruins jersey (she looks great in the standard colors). ;)

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Women who wear pink sporting clothing are as vapid as the merchants who push the junk on them.

Go play with your Barbies and stay home instead of bringing your pink crud out into the sporting arena.

If your team is pink, then wear pink.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I think all hockey fans, male or female, are too hardcore to care what they are wearing, at least to the game.

fullclip

Prepare to die
Jul 19, 2004
UBC
I think the pink is pretty stupid. They could just make female jerseys in the normal team colors.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think the pink is pretty stupid. They could just make female jerseys in the normal team colors.

I could swear they used to do that. River City Sports used to advertise ladies cut jerseys for a variety of teams. Now I see them all the time on the sites clearence section. I wonder if they didn't sell.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I could swear they used to do that. River City Sports used to advertise ladies cut jerseys for a variety of teams. Now I see them all the time on the sites clearence section. I wonder if they didn't sell.

I think they'd have better luck if they did it like I described in the origional poat. The problem with origional ladies jerseys was they looked almost exactly like the mens jerseys. Put some contour striping in keeping with the team colors and it gives a totally different look.

Millions Livio

Nov 3, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I think it's an insult to the game, the team, and rest of the fans. It screams "I'm a dumb blonde and the only reason I'm here is because my husband drags me to the games" (no offense smart and intelligent blondes).

Live, fight, and die by the colors of your team..

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I think it's an insult to the game, the team, and rest of the fans. It screams "I'm a dumb blonde and the only reason I'm here is because my husband drags me to the games" (no offense smart and intelligent blondes).

Yeah, that sums it up. A true fan wouldn't be caught dead in a jersey that looked so far off team colors.

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
I think hats, visors, t-shirts, etc are okay to be pink. My sister and my niece both wear pink hats of the local WHL team. I got no problem with that.

All these things however are not worn by the team. A jersey is actually worn by the team and should always be in the color of the team. End of story.

Oh and a jersey in team colors cut to a woman's figure i have no problem with(agree with those that have been advocating this)

Bobby Orr

Looks like something a 15 year old puck bunny would wear. Complete with "Hottie" stitched on the back.

and what woman would wear a pair of Columbus Blue Jackets (or any other team) 10K gold earrings? Yeesh.

and where's the Gary Bettman Pez dispenser?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Depends on the situation. If the NHL markets pink memorabilia as part of the "Hockey Fights Cancer" Campaign, and uses all the 'pink proceeds' toward breast cancer research, I have ZERO problem with it whatsover.

My mom beat breast cancer 10 years ago, and my wife and I continue to support all things breast cancer awareness.

A team could play a game with a pink to-be-auctioned third jersey for all I care, as long as the proceeds went to cancer research.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I live in NYC, and find myself instantly annoyed by all the women I see walking around in Yankees babydoll tees and those pink Yankee hats.

But...from a marketing standpoint...if it's making dollars then it's making sense...

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
I'm usually too focused on the game to really care what fans wear. Personally I am not crazy over pink jerseys, but if the proceeds go to breast cancer, then go for it.

Ducks_è_Halos

Feb 8, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
profile.myspace.com

Well said. I'm female but I don't go to hockey games to make a fashion statement; I go because I love the game and the team. I love to wear my jersey. I'd feel like a puck bunny instead of a real hockey fan if I wore one of those pink ones.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
[QUOTE - and what woman would wear a pair of Columbus Blue Jackets (or any other team) 10K gold earrings? Yeesh.

and where's the Gary Bettman Pez dispenser?[/QUOTE]

Had to get his permission since it is life size!!!!

I have the silver Bruins earrings!!!!

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
I'm not too fond of the pink jerseys. In my opinion I'd prefer it this stayed away from the game. I get very irritated when I see the Yankees/Red Sox or any other team that has pink hats or pink jerseys, like a previous poster said. It seems like it might be unevitable.

When did Yankees fans stop caring that they weren't wearing pin stripes?

I'd ask the same question if a hockey fan wore different colours for their different team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This probably makes me seem alittle shallow, but if she looks hot, I don't really care :dunno:

jc4shrx

May 12, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
Pink jerseys? Yuck. That is even worse than the pink Sharks shirt I saw last season, which I complained about on a survey. I think I said I appreciate things cut to fit me but would prefer they be in Sharks colors and have the Sharks logo rather than a plumaria. Really, you could not even tell the thing was referencing the hockey team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad