Pineault, Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
What kind of season did he have in Moncton? Did he dominate like people thought he would after leaving BC? He had great credentials including playing with the Junior Bruins in the EJHL at age 14, the USNTDP for two years, and World Juniors. Moncton was a pretty good team and Pineault skated with some pretty good players including Bernier, Graham, Goulet, and Glode. However, his stats look kind of modest -- 61 gp, 26 g (9 on the pp), 20 a, 46 tp, and only 43 body checks. He had a whopping total of 288 shots on goal (only two players in the league had more) and he scored on only 9% of them. I saw him play a couple (4) of times and couldn't figure out whether he was more of a power forward or a finesse player. I'd like to hear from others who have information/opinions.

X-SHARKIE

Pineault would've had alot more points had he been playing with Rimouski, or Quebec, or Chicoutimi.

Moncton only had one player over a point a game average in Bernier.

Same goes for the playoffs.

The Wildcats play a defensive game and Pineault numbers suffered because of it but he left me very impressed in the games I saw early in the season.

He's not a mean brute of a powerforward but he's big and I really like him, he doesn't work the puck well and I question his vision, but his shot is elite, and he likes to use. Great shot.

So dont look at his numbers and go man he had a rough year? because he didn't.

It's the system they run in Moncton.

It's like asking Patrick Elias to lead the NHL in scoring, you know he is a talent but as long as he's in New Jersey it aint happening. :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
sharkie, have you ever met a prospect you don't like? i swear, it seems like you always have lots of praise for any prospect you talk about ;)

maybe it's just cuz you only talk about the guys you like? i dunno, hehe

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
he definitely likes to shoot the puck rather than passing it off, and he has NHL power behind it, problem is he either has to blow it through the goalie or it ends up six feet high and wide (not real accurate). not overly aggressive on the puck either.

i'm thinking he'll be more productive next year being a 19-year old and playing with chris bourque. having ted nolan for coach should also round out his game a bit more. we'll see

X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE said:
Pineault would've had alot more points had he been playing with Rimouski, or Quebec, or Chicoutimi.

Moncton only had one player over a point a game average in Bernier.

Same goes for the playoffs.

The Wildcats play a defensive game and Pineault numbers suffered because of it but he left me very impressed in the games I saw early in the season.

He's not a mean brute of a powerforward but he's big and I really like him, he doesn't work the puck well and I question his vision, but his shot is elite, and he likes to use. Great shot.

So dont look at his numbers and go man he had a rough year? because he didn't.

It's the system they run in Moncton.

It's like asking Patrick Elias to lead the NHL in scoring, you know he is a talent but as long as he's in New Jersey it aint happening. :)

"He's not a mean brute of a powerforward"

"he doesn't work the puck well and I question his vision"

I gave Pineault some good and bad, I' was just saying you can't judge him by his stats because he plays on Moncton.

I pretty much do just post on Kids I like though, I won't lie.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Chootoi said:
he definitely likes to shoot the puck rather than passing it off, and he has NHL power behind it, problem is he either has to blow it through the goalie or it ends up six feet high and wide (not real accurate). not overly aggressive on the puck either.

i'm thinking he'll be more productive next year being a 19-year old and playing with chris bourque. having ted nolan for coach should also round out his game a bit more. we'll see
I haven't watched him in the past year but when he was at BC he seemed very slow with his skating and his decission making. He never really had quick feet but he's had an NHL shot since he was 14 years old. He could blow it by goalies at the younger level but not at the College level and i'm sure he is having the same problem in the Q. He takes a lot of shots but he has to be more creative!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know about Pineault. I saw him play around 40 times this year. So if you have a direct question, just ask.

Quick summary: Pineault has an outstanding shot, but shoots from EVERYWHERE. He'll shoot from the corner, from centre ice, from just inside the blueline, etc. If he can have better shot selection and work on getting into more advantageous positions, he's going to be extremely successful. His skating is solid, when he is angry he plays very well (physically, far more involved), and that may be the key to getting a higher quality performance out of him.

X0ssbar

Matt MacInnis said:
I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know about Pineault. I saw him play around 40 times this year. So if you have a direct question, just ask.

Quick summary: Pineault has an outstanding shot, but shoots from EVERYWHERE. He'll shoot from the corner, from centre ice, from just inside the blueline, etc. If he can have better shot selection and work on getting into more advantageous positions, he's going to be extremely successful. His skating is solid, when he is angry he plays very well (physically, far more involved), and that may be the key to getting a higher quality performance out of him.

1. What NHLer does his game remind you of?

2. Where is he projected in the NHL - top 6 forward?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
1. He reminds me a little of young Brett Hull with his huge shot, decent but unspectacular speed, willingness to hit, etc. I'm not comparing them on the same level, because that's simply inaccurate, but roughly in terms of style, mostly because of the really powerful shooting ability of Pineault, there are...similarities.

A more accurate comparison in terms of similar prospects would be Marc-Andre Bernier. Pineault is a better prospect, imo, because I believe he's more skilled overall, but they play a similar style, and both need to be more physical for their respective sizes.

2. Yeah, he's a second line winger who could be very dangerous on the powerplay.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
a slight hijack of this thread...if you've seen a lot of pineault, you've probably seen a lot of bruce graham...did he start playing more physical this year at all? I heard he was before he got injured, did he come back and play timid or has he started to use his body a little more?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Levitate said:
a slight hijack of this thread...if you've seen a lot of pineault, you've probably seen a lot of bruce graham...did he start playing more physical this year at all? I heard he was before he got injured, did he come back and play timid or has he started to use his body a little more?

I really liked Graham when I had the chance to talk to him, so its tough for me to criticize him, but he is inconsistent I will say with playing physical. Some games he plays with a real edge to him. He'll be throwing his huge frame around, driving the net, and getting involved with scrums after the whistle. Not surprisingly, that is when he is at his best. But some games he just doesn't seem motivated. So when he isn't playing well...he really isn't playing well. Not only is he not physical but he doesn't forecheck very hard and doesn't SEEM to put in as much effort as you'd like to see. His skating is adequate. It's not great, but he is NOT a "bad" skater.

Graham has second line NHL potential. He's got good puck handling skills, and a very good wrist shot (hard and accurate). His vision is pretty good as well. But he must play with that edge to him in order to make the show. Otherwise he's going to probably get stuck in the AHL, or maybe even ECHL.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
He had a good first half, but slowed down considerably after he returned from the WJs. I don't know if the grind of a longer season got to him, or if he was slowed down by the injury he had in January, but his stats took a nose dive.
It could also have to do with Graham and Karsums both being out for a long stretch with injuries and not leaving Pineault with a whole heck of a lot to play with.

As mentioned, he shoots the puck all the time. If he were in a video game, his shoot/pass ratio would be about 95% shoot.
He's also one of those players that uses his size and strength when he has the puck, ie. leaning on defencemen in 1on1 situations, but doesn't throw big checks when he doesn't have the puck, ie. on the forecheck like his teammate S. Bernier does. He doesn't scare the bejeezus out of defencemen going back in their own end for the puck.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
MikeC44 said:
He had a good first half, but slowed down considerably after he returned from the WJs. I don't know if the grind of a longer season got to him, or if he was slowed down by the injury he had in January, but his stats took a nose dive.
It could also have to do with Graham and Karsums both being out for a long stretch with injuries and not leaving Pineault with a whole heck of a lot to play with.

As mentioned, he shoots the puck all the time. If he were in a video game, his shoot/pass ratio would be about 95% shoot.
He's also one of those players that uses his size and strength when he has the puck, ie. leaning on defencemen in 1on1 situations, but doesn't throw big checks when he doesn't have the puck, ie. on the forecheck like his teammate S. Bernier does. He doesn't scare the bejeezus out of defencemen going back in their own end for the puck.

Great assessment, Mike.

I'm under the impression that his injury did play a role in his diminshed calibre of play, but who really knows.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
I really liked Graham when I had the chance to talk to him, so its tough for me to criticize him, but he is inconsistent I will say with playing physical. Some games he plays with a real edge to him. He'll be throwing his huge frame around, driving the net, and getting involved with scrums after the whistle. Not surprisingly, that is when he is at his best. But some games he just doesn't seem motivated. So when he isn't playing well...he really isn't playing well. Not only is he not physical but he doesn't forecheck very hard and doesn't SEEM to put in as much effort as you'd like to see. His skating is adequate. It's not great, but he is NOT a "bad" skater.

Graham has second line NHL potential. He's got good puck handling skills, and a very good wrist shot (hard and accurate). His vision is pretty good as well. But he must play with that edge to him in order to make the show. Otherwise he's going to probably get stuck in the AHL, or maybe even ECHL.

thanks, I hope he'll get more consistancy playing physical...he'd be nice to have on the second line in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad