Pierre McQuire is absolutely furious "go with 6 dmen and go with it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexstream

Apr 30, 2003
forums.habsworld.net
Jason MacIsaac said:
Theodore would have been the number 3 anyway and still wouldn't have seen action so no it didn't hurt the team.

after bad game by Brodeur and Bad game by Luongo, he would have got the start no?
if he would, it would have been a blank, knowing theo, when he has to prove himself, he's the man.
tell him he can't do it is the best way to see him do it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
mooseOAK said:
They haven't even seen the best forwards in the tournament yet i.e. Czechs, Slovaks, and Russians.

Only having Boyle as one who played regularly this season has the be a factor.
Exactly what I was thinking on both counts.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
mooseOAK said:
They haven't even seen the best forwards in the tournament yet i.e. Czechs, Slovaks, and Russians.

Only having Boyle as one who played regularly this season has the be a factor.

Souray played this season. Altough it looks like he has'nt played in two years.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
alexstream said:
Is that better or worse than saying that a 17 y.o. kid is the next gretzky?
cause gretzky himself said it, so if crosby is not as good as gretzky, gretzky has no credential?

the jury's still out on Crosby,but I'd say the next Bossy+Trots comment has proven to be pretty funny.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
alexstream said:
God, I love this thread, you guys are all my friends!!! :yo: :clap:

I have no support whatsoever everywhere I go and claim that:
"-the coach is clueless
-some d are too slow or too cold (jovo hasn't played in a year and it's very noticeable), some other just do not belong there (Boyle, and I'm sorry to admit it, souray...)
-the goalies suck! They go with Brodeur cause they think Luongo can't do better than Brodeur... yet Brodeur sucked against US and against Sweden, I agree that Theo would have done a better job, he was the only elite G to be busy the whole year.
-The GM chose way too many checkers and some of them really don't play well together. Having Draper Doan Morrow is awesome, cause they are superstar checker... now why is there a need to add some crappy checkers (fisher, walker...) when Crafty snipers and Skilled players were left on the Shelves. Kariya is always ready for an invite, and Tanguay is just waiting his chance, as he has never been invited. other names? Murray, Ryder, Ribeiro, all way before Maltby, Walker, Fisher...
This is not NHL playoffs where you lack talent and need to play the trap and are better off playing with 4 checking lines... this is big ice international fast wide open offensive hockey. Don't get two checking line!!! particularly when the 2nd one suck!!!"

But here, here I have support!!! thank you for sharing my opinion, or for letting me share yours! :clap:

actually I'm quite relieved to see that I'm not the only one thinking that.

pretty much just summed up how I feel

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Mr Sakich said:
IMO, Canada is in tough because they have 3 real weaknesses

1) coaching
2) The GM
3) the defense
go easy - they have a half a team of car pooling dads that haven't played in a year with a wack of trapping , slashing . hooking , middle clogging , wankers trying everything to spoil the party - they'll get there - chill -

PapaBear*

McQuire is very smart, he knows his hockey. I would rather have Paris Hilton coaching the team right now than Habshield. At least the guys will be motivated from Paris horse nose.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
CREW99AW said:
someone help me out here.

following the 1999 draft,some ranger fans were posting that they'd just drafted the next Bossy and Trottier (Brendl+Lundmark)

Someone said McGuire's the one who threw out that statement,that Brendl+Lundmark were the next Bossy and Trottier.Anyone watch that draft telecast and hear McGuire make those comments?

I can't say I remember.

But he gets things really wrong sometimes. Like the way he commented on Chelios recently. You'd think he was talking about Hal Gill.

Also, I'm sure the G Man will be delighted by this one, I distinctly remember Pierre being one of those people parroting about Taylor Pyatt's mythical skating ability prior to the draft :D

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Pierre just gets really overzeleous and hyped up...he tends to insert his foot into his mouth on numerous occasions.

Jaysfanatic*

Fish on The Sand said:
you forgot goaltending, as rare as it is to say that about canada. Theodore declining has really hurt the team.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: the goaltending, you're such a homer

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
jtuzzi21 said:
Pierre just gets really overzeleous and hyped up...he tends to insert his foot into his mouth on numerous occasions.

Yeah, I find McGuire is at his best when commenting NHL hockey.

When talking about young prospects, Pierre becomes overly positive like the average HF poster and tends to expect everyone to turn into a faster Ron Francis, a more skilled Chelios, a bigger Martin St.Louis, etc.

When covering international hockey, his bias for Canada is extremely annoying (although he is getting better. At the beginning, it was just plain horrendous).

But when commenting on the NHL, I think he is entertaining and doing a fine job.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yeah, I find McGuire is at his best when commenting NHL hockey.

When talking about young prospects, Pierre becomes overly positive like the average HF poster and tends to expect everyone to turn into a faster Ron Francis, a more skilled Chelios, a bigger Martin St.Louis, etc.

When covering international hockey, his bias for Canada is extremely annoying (although he is getting better. At the beginning, it was just plain horrendous).

But when commenting on the NHL, I think he is entertaining and doing a fine job.
Totally agree. He makes Gord Miller watchable. Pierre is a very knowledgable color guy, and I enjoy watching him, although he goes over the top for WJC players.

PapaBear*

we are going to lose against the slovaks thurs, you heard it hear first.

Quote from the loser coach today

"Sometimes you just come out flat, uh uh, and today we were flat, uh uh uh ..you dont want it to happen"

No freaking kidding coach! Maybe if you were behind the bench, we wouldnt be so flat. We got lucky today, again Nash saves our butts.

We should have crushed Ukraine today, shouldnt even been close.

Gord Miller

Mar 16, 2004
Ahhh, never a dull moment on HF Boards! I just popped in to let you know that TSN did not televise the draft in 1999.

SENSible1*

Habsfan 32 said:
Souray played this season. Altough it looks like he has'nt played in two years.

Boyle
Souray
and Phillips all played this season in Europe.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
G. Miller said:
Ahhh, never a dull moment on HF Boards! I just popped in to let you know that TSN did not televise the draft in 1999.

I think it's a good bet that McGuire made public comments about his opinion on the 1999 draft.

My ranger friends got their next Bossy+Tottier quote from someone and I'd like to know who to thank.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CREW99AW said:
someone help me out here.

following the 1999 draft,some ranger fans were posting that they'd just drafted the next Bossy and Trottier (Brendl+Lundmark)

Someone said McGuire's the one who threw out that statement,that Brendl+Lundmark were the next Bossy and Trottier.Anyone watch that draft telecast and hear McGuire make those comments?

Pierre McGuire did not do that draft.Jim Hughson,Mike Brophy and Doug McLean(Columbus GM)did that draft which was a Sportsnet/ESPN2 production.TSN was out of the draft coverage that year

I watched it a few months ago on tape when I was converting some of the tapes

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CREW99AW said:
I think it's a good bet that McGuire made public comments about his opinion on the 1999 draft.

My ranger friends got their next Bossy+Tottier quote from someone and I'd like to know who to thank.

I don't remember the Bossy and Trottier part but Brendl was being compared to Brett Hull ;)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What do Marc Habscheid,Craig MacTavish and Tom Renney have in common?The Canadian coaching staff.All three men have ties to Glen Sather.No wonder they could not properly fill out the line-up card for Sweden game ;)

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
CREW99AW said:
the jury's still out on Crosby,but I'd say the next Bossy+Trots comment has proven to be pretty funny.

I watched that draft I don't rememmber hearing anything about that. I could be wrong but I don't rememmber.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
alexstream said:
-The GM chose way too many checkers and some of them really don't play well together. Having Draper Doan Morrow is awesome, cause they are superstar checker... now why is there a need to add some crappy checkers (fisher, walker...) when Crafty snipers and Skilled players were left on the Shelves. Kariya is always ready for an invite, and Tanguay is just waiting his chance, as he has never been invited. other names? Murray, Ryder, Ribeiro, all way before Maltby, Walker, Fisher...
This is not NHL playoffs where you lack talent and need to play the trap and are better off playing with 4 checking lines... this is big ice international fast wide open offensive hockey. Don't get two checking line!!! particularly when the 2nd one suck!!!"

I thought the same thing watching Canada-Sweden. I also think Finland have made the same misstake.

I am not trying to be a homer and boost my homeland but the "doctorine" in Sweden for big ice International tournaments is that atleast one really responsible two way player is a must on every line, for example Påhlsson (1st line)/Zetterberg (2nd line)/Jönsson (4th line). These guys covers tons of ice, picks up allot of loose pucks and knows how to set up plays from their own end. Its not that these parts of the game are so important, but they save a ton of energy for their linemates.

Canada also have allot of role players, but at the other end. Guys who will finnish every check and be a pain in the ass for the other team and wear down their defense. But they are only valueble if they can get the puck down deep.

Its a fact that Canada have superior talent compared with for example Sweden but in the Sweden-Canada game IMO Sweden won because the creative players for Canada ran out of gas and the entire roster from Nash to Draper where forced to spend far too much energy to get in controll of the puck and when they did they had no energy to do something with it.

If you allow Canada to play their games, cycling the puck in the corners/along the boards while their defense are allowed to step up and crush tired forwards they will blow away any opponent. The only way to beat them are by controlling the puck, especially in the neutral zone and challeging their D with speed. But when Canada have players like Joe Sakic, St. Louis or even like you mentioned guys like Tanguay, Brier and Ryder who can controll the puck they have another dimension.

Also further to prove my point, Canada have two straight golds with "slow" D's. Don't think the D is the biggest problem. They are just forced to spend to much time in their own end...

However if Canada gets passed Slovakia I would bet my money on that they will take three straight... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad