Pierre Mcguire

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I disagree with the notion that Pierre is a bad colour guy. For starters, its HILARIOUS when he starts to talk really fast to finish a sentence. He also calls a spade a spade, something most colour guys just dont do.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but I heard he said Olesz was a poor 2 way player as he was bad defensively and was soft. To say Olesz is a poor 2 way player is like saying Ovechkin will never make the NHL.

PEli*

Anybody who thinks PG is a poor commentator is incorrect. If you consider that to be my opinion, you are wrong.

PG brings excitement and fun to a game. He's interesting and if you don't take him too seriously, you'll see that he's one of the least objective guys on TV. Think of how annoyed we'd be if Bob Cole and Harry Neale were calling these games.

It'd be sixty minutes of talking about how unfair it is that Mats Sundin didn't make the junior team.

Bob: This is ********. Where is Domi? Team Canada needs a gritty guy like that.
Harry: I don't think Canada misses Domi as much as they miss the Salmon guy from BC.
Bob: Good point. Ferguson should have put this team together. Hockey Canada be damned.

Genghis86

Dec 28, 2004
What are the two guys that always comment on Leafs games on CBC Hockey Night in Canada?

I remember one of them once slipped a funny remark - he was talking about some player hitting on another; they usually use the term 'harassing' - "Player X is being harassed by Player Y". But this time he decided to change the wording because it was getting to repetitive and said - "Player X is being molested by Player Y"!

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Wow, am I ever on the wrong page here. Maguire is the best hockey analyst around. He conveys more hockey knowledge than any other hockey talking-head out there (John Davidson is the only one who comes close).

Maguire's enthusiasm is over the top sometimes, but why do we slag somebody who gets genuinely excited with his topic. We Canadians are so low-key, we get embarrassed when we see someone who actually HAS A PERSONALITY! :dunno:

He loves this sport, and you can certainly tell. Get over it....or....if you don't dig him, you can pick up a radio call at fan590.com. After you lapse into a coma, put the TSN back on boys...
:teach:

Last edited:

espo*

I've said it before and i'll say it again......love Mcguire.I know he can be a little over the top but he's entertaining and knows the game....he gets you jacked up and makes you laugh even when he's not intending to.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Steadfast said:
kmad better watch out. Bob McKenzie and Gord Miller already post here. Pierre McGuire is next! He's going to pull a WHAMMO on you.

He's going to lay down the EL-KABONG on you and then you'll be Tostitos!

Seriously, the guy knows what he's talking about and at least he tries to inject a little personality into his delivery! A very hard job to broadcast a hockey game and Pierre and Gordo get top marks from me!

:bow:

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
i just hate it when he can't stop talking about certain players and can't stop talking about them (Phanuef, Carter and Parise even though he wasn't there)

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
I find Pierre generally entertaining... He has a good idea of what he's talking about, and he has a lot of personality. My only knock on him is how he simply can't shut up about Synergy sticks breaking, and allowing 2 line passes in the NHL.

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Pierre is annoying.

Everytime he says a Dion it sounds to gay. A Phan-oufff!!! would be much better.

Pierre and Gord Miller need to be replace because they repeat the same stuff over and over again. They like to say.. in case you didn't know.. there is no red line...

In case you didn't know.. there is no touch icing...

Pierre and his monster comments have become so annoying.. I have to mute pierre everytime he talks...

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pierre's problem is that he doesn't realize not to interrupt the play-by-play to comment on something he's commented on several times before. He uses every space he finds to talk, and it really does get annoying.
I admit he knows his stuff, but theres also quite a few times where he'll give the players way more credit for doing something, such as a move because they saw someone was leaning a little to the left. Maybe they just made that move and it worked out that way pierre.
i wonder how he feels about the red line. and one pieces.

SENSible1*

Pierre's biggest sin in the eyes of most his haters is that he doesn't fawn over the Leafs and has called them out when they have made questionable moves.

He is bright, funny and extremely knowledgable. Sure he could tone down the theatrics, but the very fact that this is the 3rd or 4th thread about him this tournament proves his schtick is working like a charm.

leafaholix*

Thunderstruck said:
Pierre's biggest sin in the eyes of most his haters is that he doesn't fawn over the Leafs and has called them out when they have made questionable moves.

He is bright, funny and extremely knowledgable. Sure he could tone down the theatrics, but the very fact that this is the 3rd or 4th thread about him this tournament proves his schtick is working like a charm.
Glen Healy fawns over the Leafs... and he sucks majorly.

So it's not Leaf fans, I can assure you of that.

leafaholix*

Hart_House_Ca said:
Pierre and Gord Miller need to be replace because they repeat the same stuff over and over again. They like to say.. in case you didn't know.. there is no red line...

In case you didn't know.. there is no touch icing...

Pierre and his monster comments have become so annoying.. I have to mute pierre everytime he talks...
So you expect them to come up with new information every broadcast?

You do realize that there are people that tune in that don't know all the changes and differences between the NHL and the WJC... right?

pensfan04

Jan 3, 2005
North Dakota
gobert said:
I find Pierre generally entertaining... He has a good idea of what he's talking about, and he has a lot of personality. My only knock on him is how he simply can't shut up about Synergy sticks breaking, and allowing 2 line passes in the NHL.
truth... a little repetitive but sure about what he says.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
PEli said:
Anybody who thinks PG is a poor commentator is incorrect. If you consider that to be my opinion, you are wrong.

PG brings excitement and fun to a game. He's interesting and if you don't take him too seriously, you'll see that he's one of the least objective guys on TV. Think of how annoyed we'd be if Bob Cole and Harry Neale were calling these games.

It'd be sixty minutes of talking about how unfair it is that Mats Sundin didn't make the junior team.

Bob: This is ********. Where is Domi? Team Canada needs a gritty guy like that.
Harry: I don't think Canada misses Domi as much as they miss the Salmon guy from BC.
Bob: Good point. Ferguson should have put this team together. Hockey Canada be damned.

:lol CBC, although having one of the best hockey programs around does have some of the worst and most annoying commentators alive Cole, Neal, Millen and worst of all that little rat Glenn Healy, I'm absolutely positive he wanted Calgary to lose last year in every series in which he was the color guy.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I don't like Macguire. He sounds like a giddy school girl trapped in an old mans body. Also, he makes stupid comments. Just one example of this was in the third period of the Semi-Final game against the Czechs, we were already up 3-1, and Pierre states that Brent Sutter shouldnt lose his composure in this situation. What? We are up by two goals with less than ten minutes to play and Macguire is worried that a memorial cup winning coach who also played in the NHL and won numerous international tournaments as a player would actually lose his composure. I can just see it:

Team Canada Players: So what line is out next coach Sutter?
Sutter: Idono, Idono. Two goal lead what are we gonna do? There is only one thing left to do now, panic and get out of playing our game. I just can't think of anything else to do, we have to lose our composure.

junglebeast

Jan 4, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I don't see how anyone can think Pierre deserves to be a commentator. He is beyond terrible in my honest opinion. If he would just stick to commentating he would be alright but his analysis of the game is brutal. More often than not his points are a) stupid b) repeats c) irrelevant. It makes me sick listening to him go on and on about thoughts he thinks are good analysis of the game and players when in reality they are plain terrible.

As I said, Pierre would be fine if he just called the game but as much as people think he knows about hockey he sure is bad at expressing that knowledge. He also says some of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I remember a few games back for Canada, against Finland I think, he noticed Crosby was off the ice during a PP. Now Corsby had played EVERY PP in the tournament up until that point and Pierre decides to create his own story as to why Crosby is off the ice. He says Crosby was slacking in his own end and sitting him was a message being sent to the Canadian team. Now, I saw Crosby playing hard as always and Pierre offered no replay to support his Pejorative Slured idea. What a joke! He misses one PP and Pierre gets a text message from Sutter? I seriously doubt it.

Sure that's him trying to look smart, which he works at way too much, but it's a perfect example of his annoying ranting. He creates stories, reasons and analysis for plays that doesn't fit, makes no sense or he has no basis for saying.

DION is also beyond stupid. You've got to be kidding me. One time he even said "People around here are starting to call that a DION" - no Pierre, no one is that Pejorative Slured. His emotion when calling the game can be annoying but I don't mind that.

Like I said, if he just called the game with small analysis and put his emotion into calling the game instead of trying to tell a story every two seconds he'd be a great commentator.

Please Pierre, shut up and call the game or get the hell off the air.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
only thing that annoys me about Pierre is the whole Islanders /Parise/Nilsson thing .

isles werent the only team to pass on Zach , so its kind of annoying to be a Canadian isles fan and hear that from Pierre on a regular basis . :dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Guys you should hear some Russian or Czech or even FRENCH commentators!

At some point you have to turn off the sound completely, otherwise it's impossible to watch or you'd throw the TV out of the window! :banghead: :lol:

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
So you expect them to come up with new information every broadcast?

You do realize that there are people that tune in that don't know all the changes and differences between the NHL and the WJC... right?

You do realize that people who watch the game dont' like to hear the same thing repeated 10 times?

Maybe they should have a ticker that repeats these info.. instead of having the commentators.. say it 100 times... to viewers that are here on time...

Actually, I expect all Canadians to know these rule changes or to gradually pick them up as the game is in play. I'd like to think Canadians are very intelligent people as these rule changes are nothing new.

Why ruin the games for millions of Canadians just to accommodate a few people?

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
This is my first post, and im really happ about it because ive wanted to say this for so long

I hate Pierre McGuire so much, and i can hardly watch any game that he commentates, I had to put the game on mute several time last night just to get through it. He wont shut up, having to always have some comment on every player that touches the puck, with some piece of information that know one could possibly know and know one cares about, honestly how does he know some of that ****.
He thinks he knows everything basically because he has a good memory
He only says the popular thing to say at that time, i.e. in love with M A Fleury last year, and then actually putting him down this year.
I hate the way he is so black and white about everything, this is the way it is, or this is what that guy was doing, or my favorite this is what he was thinking when he did this, shut the **** up you don’t know what other people are thinking
The way he makes those tough guy comments, when im not even sure he has ever played a game in his life, “they better not try that stuff they did with the states with Canada because someone will lose their teeth†who the **** are you to make threats to people for someone else. and i guarantee he was one of the people crucifying Bertuzzi for what he did, while saying as if he is proud of it, that in hockey you cant do things because people will remember your number and get you back.
Is there anyway we can start a petition to get this guy out because i just cant take watching anymore games with this guy commentating, maybe they can work it into the CBA.
Ever since ESPN bought TSN, it has become so frigin American and i dont think that is anymore obvious than Pierre McGuire as their hockey "expert"
The only reason he is around is because he was an assistant to Bowman, and I think the only reason Scotty did that was because it was before teams started to utilize computers, and McGuire was basically Scottys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad