Pierre McGuire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

Anyone heard if I have to put up with him again this year? He knows his stuff, true, but he sounds like a monster-truck announcer.

On a similar note, why doesn't the CBC bid for the WJs? It'd be a good way to work some of HNICs younger talent into the system.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
chicpea said:
Anyone heard if I have to put up with him again this year? He knows his stuff, true, but he sounds like a monster-truck announcer.

On a similar note, why doesn't the CBC bid for the WJs? It'd be a good way to work some of HNICs younger talent into the system.
He's on the Team 1200 in Ott. 8:00 AM every morning. I guess its because of the time but he's toned down then and so much better to listen to. Here's a link: http://www.team1200.com/listen-live/index.asp#

espo*

I like Mcquire now,it took a while for him to grow on me because of what chickpea mentioned,just too bombastic with that monster truck mentality of game calling.He came across to me as a hockey version of Dick Vitale (although not as over the top of course) but he was too loud and in your face with his comments that he grated on me.
But over time i started tuning out that stuff and focusing on the points he was constantly making during the game and i realised i was focusing on his negatives before and not his positives and it was time to start paying attention to the guy because he knew his stuff and his points were enlightening me about what was going on in the game.From that point on i've really enjoyed the guy and think his analysis is damn insightful.Hey...he's still a litttle over the top but i've learned to turn that around to the positive by using it as comedic value during the game,me and my hockey buddies just turn his hyper style and comments into an opportuinity to have a good laugh and make sarcastic comments about him,it's good for a laugh and all part of the fun now.His style does'nt lend itself to hockey night in Canada broadcasts and so he may never be hired by them but they work for tsn(which tries to be like espn anyway) Simply put,i like him now and enjoy the games he's involved with.He does know his stuff.

His enthusistic pronounciation of foreign players names that he likes is great for a laugh,he especially seems to love saying the finnish guys names.He tries to roll his tongue when pronouncing them and everything,what a laugh. Oh yeah Pierre...you've convinced all of us that you are billingual....good job buddy!!!

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Gord is awful, what a mistake letting Paul slip away. I dont mind Pierre, and am thankful John Garrett isn't the colour guy with Gord... That would go down as the worst all time duo that could ever possibly be found.

Paul>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gord,Gord=jinx, bring back Paul.

Last edited:

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Honestly, I think Pierre and Gord have improved to a point now where I enjoy listening to them. Pierre has toned down just enough to be not annoying but still be unique and enthusiastic. They've also learned how to interact with one another better.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I like Pierre McGuire he is one of the better analysist out there, he knows what he is talking about, I enjoy listening to him, he is one of my favorite. :handclap:

leafaholix*

McGuire's a hell of a lot better than Peter "SCYYYYYYYORES!" Loubardias.

He was one of my favourite analysts for a while... and then he got ANNOYING. Whenever the St. John's Maple Leafs have been on Sportsnet this year, I've prayed to God that it wasn't him broadcasting the game... I'd rather listen to John Garrett (who should be shot with a bazooka).

dem

Mar 17, 2002
McGuire is the best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

Orv

Jan 7, 2004
Calgary, Ab/Eston,SK
I absolutley hate listening to Pierre Maguire!! Way to many WHAMMO's and HE'S A MONSTER. And Pierre we all know you hate one-piece sticks but let it go. I really don't know whether he is a good analyst because after the first five minutes of the broadcast is spent by Pierre screaming into the mic I simply mute the game. I guess I'm going to have to put up with it for the WJC.

espo*

Wally112pac said:
I like Gord and Mcguire.

Paul Romanuk is doin play by play for Raptors radio.

His most famous call is probably the "IT IS OVER!"
That is definately his most famous call for sure.He also had a pet phrase he liked to use whenever Canada in the world juniors was just holding on with about a minute to go in the championship game and up by a goal, it was "it's all hands on deck now for Canada!!" Remember that one? He used it all the time. Romy must dread the day he left tsn to bolt for what he thought was a better gig (did'nt turn out better as he ended up getting axed from what i recall) The world junior tournament was his baby,i just know the guy misses it every year it comes on.

espo*

Rabid Ranger said:
McGuire grated on me for awhile but I've warmed up to him. He's pretty objective, which is welcome.
Yeah and he's not afraid to call out players bonehead mistakes either and i find that refreshing.He really gives them the business and does'nt seem to play favorites with his critisism.

espo*

Epsilon said:
I'd like to see a multi-sport boradcast team consisting of McGuire, Dick Vitale, Stephen A. Smith, Bill Walton, and Chris Berman.
Now that would be something,not sure if i'd be crazy about it but it would be interesting to see in action.

chicpea*

cyclops said:
he liked to use whenever Canada in the world juniors was just holding on with about a minute to go in the championship game and up by a goal, it was "it's all hands on deck now for Canada!!" Remember that one?

Totally remember. Good stuff.

espo*

Yeah it used to be funny eh? I miss romy...he was like our good luck charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->