Pierre McGuire to jump ship to Pittsburgh?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
As annoying as Pierre can be with his man love for Phaneuf and his odd descriptions (great dexterity), he at least has something intelligent to add. He can describe how plays break down and so on, giving the intelligent fan something more. This cannot be said for many other colour guys. Harry Neale can only give semi-relevant stats, Millen makes semi-obvious observations. It's too bad if Pierre leaves. Hopefully more former coaches begin to get colour jobs, because they have stuff to say.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Threads like this make me wonder if there's any hockey writer or broadcaster that people actually do like. Seems as though the masses hate every single one. Personally, I like Maguire. I think some of his analyses have made me a more knowledgable hockey fan. Who knows if he'll be successful in Pittsburgh if he goes to the front office though.

Personally, I think his tenacious intensity during the draft coverage is absolutely worth the price of admission. Watching him go nuts over things like Parise falling, Carey Price going to Montreal is great entertainment.

hockeyyy said:
Andy Brickley does a very nice job on New England Sports Network ( NESN ) on the Boston Bruins Telcasts.

Brickley is an excellent analyst. Too bad his accent is infuriating. I can barely stand three sentences from that man before the skin on the back of my neck starts to crawl.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Drake1588 said:
McGuire is one of the more interesting and insightful color men or studio men going. A couple of years ago, before he took the 'monster' schtick to extremes, he was just about the only color man who would attempt to break down plays, offer analysis, actually make constructive use of the teleprompter after plays/games. He's one of the few who believes the viewer would actually like certain aspects of the game and coaching explained to them, beyond mundane observations so common among color men.

He has admittedly gone over the top on his delivery at times, as his profile on US national broadcasts has increased, but he's still a solid analyst. Pittsburgh's gain will be the viewer's loss, I think. I doubt the replacements will measure up.

Great post. Montrealers had the priviledge of listening to McGuire do colour commentating on a local radio station prior to his TSN job. He was not over-the-top at all, brought a great passion to both his commentating and the call-in show afterwards. The post-game call-in show generally had newer hockey fans, and he'd be very nice & approachable to their questions/comments about the game; offering indepth analysis and discussion.

Undoubtedly he's developed a character for television. Whether it was his decision or the network's is anybody's guess, and unfortunately at times I think it has detracted from his analysis ... but he's still the best colourman in the business, IMO.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
McGuire is one of the best and makes me wonder what the criteria is for being a good color commentator for some of these guys. Information. He gives relevant , reliable information on current league issues and can break down a game as well as anyone. He is not trying to be funny he is trying to go a good job. Do you hear me Glenn? You are not funny. You are not.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Nah-na-na-na. Nah-na-na-na. Hey hey hey gooooooodbye!

Pierre, the monster idiot gone from the airwaves. Halleluja!!!

There will be dancing in the streets.

The guy knows as much about hockey as my cat.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
puckeater said:
Nah-na-na-na. Nah-na-na-na. Hey hey hey gooooooodbye!

Pierre, the monster idiot gone from the airwaves. Halleluja!!!

There will be dancing in the streets.

The guy knows as much about hockey as my cat.
Is that right. What are the qualities you look for in a color man?

Murphy*

Trottier said:
No coincidence, the cynic in me thinks. Can easily imagine the "network geniuses" :shakehead egging him on to over-do a certain catchline, a memorable "sthick" to sell to the idiot masses. (And, of course, for the paycheck that's a small concession/sellout to make.)

"You know, be the NHL's John Madden!: "Boom!". The country will love you, Pierre, and ratings will soar!"

("Besides, the game itself is never enough entertainment...at least that is what we've sold a generation of gullible "casual" sports fans.") ;)

He is extremely different on the radio. Extremely interesting.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
I just hope he doesn't draft another Naslund, leave, have the GM trade the guy away and then we have to listen to McGuire for 10 years talking about how he was there with that guy.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
His style is too over the top for my taste, but he knows his stuff. Getting him in Pittsburgh as director of player personel or assistant GM would be a good thing.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
McGuire is the Bill Walton of NHL broadcasts. If McGuire didnt yell every chance he had, and pimp players like he does, I think hed be more bearable to the masses. Im not a fan of his but as a color guy, listening to McGuire sure beats hearing Neil Smith always saying "_____ is without a stick, so that means theres only 4 stick on the ice". Atleast 5 times a game he says that same line and I just want to shoot myself :propeller

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
Is that right. What are the qualities you look for in a color man?

I look for unbiased reporting of the action on the ice. His overactive style needs to be put into a market where fans don't know the game well. He likes to show people how smart he is only to contradict himself most of the time. Hence he "monster idiot" tag.

Give me a Jim Hughson-style commentator any day of the week. Informative and unbiased without ego. :teach:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I sure hope he does not come close to Pittsburgh after spitting on them for all these years.

MacDaddy TLC*

puckeater said:
I look for unbiased reporting of the action on the ice. His overactive style needs to be put into a market where fans don't know the game well. He likes to show people how smart he is only to contradict himself most of the time. Hence he "monster idiot" tag.

Give me a Jim Hughson-style commentator any day of the week. Informative and unbiased without ego. :teach:

So you like boring? Hughson is a good play man but you need a colourful guy as a side kick, hence the name colour commentary. No ego? What a load of ******** that is! Everyone has an ego. If he didn't have an ego he would be a vegetable in some bed waiting for death to claim him from living hell. Unbiased? Everyone has their biases, whether it is to a team, to players, or a style of play.

turnbuckle*

How come every time McGuire's name is mentioned everybody that "dislikes" his commentary has the urge to let everyone know about it?

Yes he can be over the top, yes he has an ego, and yes he can be a bit narrow minded in his opinions, but the fact remains he is one of the most entertaining colour men in the biz.

I really get tired of all the "holier than thou" types around here to seemingly hate every hockey media person on the planet.

Some of you experts should try getting behind a microphone sometime and see how difficult it really is, or try writing an in-depth article. Keeeerist...most of you don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' or 'there', 'they're' and 'there'.. 'To' and 'too' is also beyond the comprehension of some of the rocket scientists around here.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The Loose Cannon said:
I agree with both of you. McGuire is the best thing to happen to a hockey telecast since Danny Gallivan.

Agreed, I love McGuire, I find that all the people that I know that don't really watch hockey much or have never played don't like him.

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Ruckus007 said:
Threads like this make me wonder if there's any hockey writer or broadcaster that people actually do like. Seems as though the masses hate every single one. Personally, I like Maguire. I think some of his analyses have made me a more knowledgable hockey fan. Who knows if he'll be successful in Pittsburgh if he goes to the front office though.
Hey now, that sounds like a reasoned and well-thought-out response. We can't have that here.:sarcasm:

I agree with your post entirely (including your assessment of Maguire). I think the only play-by-play some of these guys would accept would be the chicks from Naked News.

MacDaddy TLC*

Evilo said:
and that coming from a Flyers fan, the best fan base in the NHL...

I actually found it highly complimentary. McGuire is an over the top personality. He would be great to re-sell the Penguins to the market. Shero may get tired of him begging to try and trade Crosby or Malkin to get Dion Phaneuf-Sutter, but he would be a great addition to Team Penguins if Mario is not going to be affiliated with the team anymore.

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
The Loose Cannon said:
I actually found it highly complimentary. McGuire is an over the top personality. He would be great to re-sell the Penguins to the market. Shero may get tired of him begging to try and trade Crosby or Malkin to get Dion Phaneuf-Sutter, but he would be a great addition to Team Penguins if Mario is not going to be affiliated with the team anymore.

I believe Mario is going to have some position within the Penguins, but nothing too siginificant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad