• Thread starter Randall Graves*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
RallyKiller said:
Parise 4 goals 4 assists in 26 games so far...where you at Pierre?

While I agree Pierre McGuire's over the top alot of times...I think you're being unfair with Parise

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Well, not that Parise has had a spectacular first quarter, but the other end of that hyperbole-ridden McGuire rant (Nilsson) is in the AHL...

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, and Nilsson, after being buried in the SEL, has been everything we expected him to be when he was drafted: a high risk high reward prospect, far less ready than Parise, but with special unharnessed playmaking ability. If you want to compare Nilsson to a Devil, compare him to Scott Gomez, which is the kind of player Nilsson *can* become with hard work in the AHL.

Which means, that basically, people who are still excited about this little war McGuire pushes, comparing apples to oranges, is as foolish as he is. I like both players. Parise is suited to a role in the NHL. Nilsson is too much of a defensive liability to play with Yashin and Satan, and that's why he isn't in the NHL. There's no point to him playing on the 3rd line, and the Isles - essentially - have two 3rd lines.

Cheers,

Dan-o

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
shayne said:
pierre is wacked!! although i still listen

PM is what I call a crowd pleaser, whatever the popular opinion is, he follows...

For example...during the WJC's, if ever Latendresse plays great, meaning scores goals, alot of hits, etc...then you'll hear how PM talks about him, he'll sound like his biggest fan... :shakehead

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
sveiglar said:
Well, not that Parise has had a spectacular first quarter, but the other end of that hyperbole-ridden McGuire rant (Nilsson) is in the AHL...

I never truly got PM's rant about the Islanders drafting Nilsson. Before the Islanders pick he was complaining how nobody would take a chance on smaller skilled players, which the Islanders did once they picked Nilsson. The next pick by San Jose(who picked a big guy who was noted as being lazy) would have been a better time to do his rant.

I remember this year's draft, he was all set to pounce on the Islanders if they didn't draft O'Marra, and when they did he sounded dissapointed.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
McGuire's boys now are Dion Phaneuf and Sidney Crosby.

McGuire's ultimate boy would be the adopted love-child of Dion Phaneuf and Marcel Dionne... "It's a DOUBLE DION! WHAMMO! WHAMMO!"

Talk about a monster...

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The best part is,

The combined hockey IQ of the posters in this thread lies somewhere between McGuire's pinky finger and Bob McKenzie's earwax.

Parise will be a player, and there's no shame in liking Dion Phaneuf or Sidney Crosby.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jay Thompson said:
The best part is,

The combined hockey IQ of the posters in this thread lies somewhere between McGuire's pinky finger and Bob McKenzie's earwax.

Parise will be a player, and there's no shame in liking Dion Phaneuf or Sidney Crosby.
Glad you and I popped in to lower the median. :p:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jay Thompson said:
The best part is,

I don't think anyone doubts PM hockey IQ...I definately don't, I would never claim to know more about hockey then he does nor anyone here...what I dislike about PM, is he's in a high profile position, and he's looked to as some kind of hockey guru, yet he never offers any kind of interesting insight, it's always the same obvious crap he continually spews...He also lets personal beefs cloud his judgement IMO...

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'll never understand how Pierre Maguire is viewed as a hockey man. His knowledge of the game is mediocre at best. He's a flavour of the week type guy who doesn't know whether to crap or get off the pot. One year, he's a Jason Spezza basher. Next year, he's a Jason Spezza lover. He talked smack about Simon Gagne one year and now Simon is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Pierre has absolutely 0 clues about things. This was also the same man who thought Montreal drafted the better Hossa brother and also said the Habs made a smart trade in Radek Bonk.

Pierre is nothing worse though than Bill Watters and Nick Kypreos. Those two clowns are complete idiots and the Leafs should be ashamed when Watters and Kypreos hold them in high esteem. It's like a death knell from those two.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I sometimes feel like killing myself when I hear Watters/Kypreos talking. Good lord, why are they still on the air?

They make McGuire look like a genious sometimes.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Brooklyndevil said:
Parise is a bust...after all he has 27 games to his NHL career. Let's waive the bum! :sarcasm:
You knew that this thread was coming at some time. From PM's gushing over him to Devil fans chanting "Parise's better".

All in all he still projects to be a fine NHL. IMO he'll be one of those players that you have to watch to see how good he really is. If he scores 60 points, I think his on ice value would be as a point per game player, kind of like Marco Sturm. He makes the players around him better and has very good intangibles.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Parise should top out being a border line 1st/2nd line center, it will take him some time to adapt to the speed and size of the game. NJ is going to have two borderline first line centers in a year or two with Gomez and Parise. Zajac is the player with the size and strength to be a true 1st line center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
I'll never understand how Pierre Maguire is viewed as a hockey man. His knowledge of the game is mediocre at best. He's a flavour of the week type guy who doesn't know whether to crap or get off the pot. One year, he's a Jason Spezza basher. Next year, he's a Jason Spezza lover. He talked smack about Simon Gagne one year and now Simon is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Pierre has absolutely 0 clues about things. This was also the same man who thought Montreal drafted the better Hossa brother and also said the Habs made a smart trade in Radek Bonk.

Pierre is nothing worse though than Bill Watters and Nick Kypreos. Those two clowns are complete idiots and the Leafs should be ashamed when Watters and Kypreos hold them in high esteem. It's like a death knell from those two.

Exactly...flavour of the week :biglaugh: I call him a 'crowd pleaser' but essentially, I mean the same thing...

Funny, I heard him bash the Habs for acquiring Radek Bonk, and you heard him praise the Habs for acquiring him... :shakehead

That's exactly what I'm talking about with McGuire

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Parise should top out being a border line 1st/2nd line center, it will take him some time to adapt to the speed and size of the game. NJ is going to have two borderline first line centers in a year or two with Gomez and Parise. Zajac is the player with the size and strength to be a true 1st line center.
I like Zajac too. How high end do you think his skill is?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I have a few issues with Mcguire. He only speaks when he is right; he makes alot of predictions, but only speaks up when they're correct. He's a terrible name dropper, "I saw <insert goalies name here> because I was with him in Hartford and he always gets shot on high glove. Odds are in a hockey game, someone will shoot high glove, once they do, he erupts and screams like a lunatic. He'll pick something fairly obvious at the start of games and dwell on it all night long. I don't doubt the man knows his hockey, it's just he focuses is on impressing the people and it kills him. He chooses favourites (players) at the start of the game and doesn't recognize them unless they are working towards his predictins. Then there's the one-piece issue.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
During the Flames/Devs telecast, you wouldn't hear Maguire say "Parise" if he had a mouthful...

Looks like PM's moved on to greener pastures, at least until ZP figures this NHL gig out.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
PM is what I call a crowd pleaser, whatever the popular opinion is, he follows...

For example...during the WJC's, if ever Latendresse plays great, meaning scores goals, alot of hits, etc...then you'll hear how PM talks about him, he'll sound like his biggest fan... :shakehead
Is he the same guy who said that Latendresse and Price was a bad pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad