Pierre-Luc Dubois vs Jesse Puljujärvi vs Matthew Tkachuk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Puljujärvi to me looks like he's lazy with poor work ethic and an attitude problem. The potential would have been there to become the best of the three but I doubt it's there anymore.

At this point, I think that Matthews Tkachuk ends up being the best player because not only is he already the best of the three, he also is very effective in a secondary role that has great importance even outside of scoring.
I kept trying to tell people Jarmo was able to see something in Puljujarvi that other GMs couldn't because they couldn't have a real conversation with him. Yes other teams have Finnish people on their staff, but it's one thing to get what someone is saying through a translator and completely different when you're able to have a face to face conversation with someone, seeing how they react and knowing his culture a little more.

There's no doubt that Puljujarvi has the skillset, but Jarmo wants more than just skills on the ice, he's looking for character guys off the ice as well, and Dubois fits the mold to a T.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I kept trying to tell people Jarmo was able to see something in Puljujarvi that other GMs couldn't because they couldn't have a real conversation with him. Yes other teams have Finnish people on their staff, but it's one thing to get what someone is saying through a translator and completely different when you're able to have a face to face conversation with someone, seeing how they react and knowing his culture a little more.

There's no doubt that Puljujarvi has the skillset, but Jarmo wants more than just skills on the ice, he's looking for character guys off the ice as well, and Dubois fits the mold to a T.
My guess is the call was probably more on Siren. But, Davidson and Jarmo have pretty clearly stated they want to build on a model similar to Davidson's Blues teams.

I'd assume there are a decent amount of Finns in high-profile positions. For example, the Leafs director of European Scouting is Ari Vuori.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tkachuk(brings nastiness on top of production)
PLD

Pulju
While Dubois isn't nasty per se, he's a son of a bitch to play against and he loves the board play down low. Him and Panarin are beautiful to watch in the cycle game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Columbus looks like geniuses for taking PLD over PooParty now.

Dude is having an under the radar great rookie year.

I'm actually glad Dubois is doing fine now. he had some tough times last season and the beginning of this season didn't look very good either, so I'm glad he's been doing so much better now that he's been in the 1st line.

But I wouldn't write Puljujarvi off yet. When he still played in the top6 his stats were great and he was the most efficient scorer of the team despite having no PP time. Actually despite playing about 2/3 of his season in the bottom6 (with no proper PP usage) Jesse's scoring rate is about the same as Dubois'. The big question is if he can keep the same rate when he's playing in the top6 in the future. If he can he'll be better than most realize.

I hope and believe the both teams will be happy with their choices.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
MT
PLD

JP

Don’t think JP will reach his potential with the current coach. TMac for some reason does not play him. Cammaleri, Rattie,Aberg all play ahead of him on any given night for no reason. JP scores a goal demoted, starting to play well, hey let’s switch you to left wing for an unknown reason. After 6 terrible games at LW mostly on fourth line they switch him back and play him with Strome and Cammaleri. YIKES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->