Pierre-Luc Dubois vs Jesse Puljujärvi vs Matthew Tkachuk

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The only one of these who is still a prospect is Dubois, probably belongs in polls.

No reason to gamble against Tkachuk at this point. Despite being the oldest, he's out-performed them even if you measure their rookie seasons against each other. PLD has surprised me. I'm still not sure he can be a bonafide number 1 franchise center, but he's been highly effective this year. I'd probably take him over Puljujarvi at the moment.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Jesse needs to stop chowing on pizza, eat better and take care of his body. If he doesn't he'll be a distant third in this battle of three.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Puljujarvi has the highest ceiling. He could very well be the answer, but as of now, I have no reason to go against Matt. So I'd vote him.

But Dubois imo is the clear 3rd. Columbus fans were screaming about how great he was doing at 1C, but I definitely saw him the most out of these 3, and he wasn't doing that well.

He was getting eaten alive defensively, wasn't using his big body as much as he should, and a lot of his "offense" wasn't being driven by him. His luck ran out and he point totals went bone dry. CBJ fans are so desperate for him to be their top C, that they really overrate him. He'll be a good player, but he is 3rd for this poll, because I think Puljujarvi and Tkachuk will both be 1st line wingers.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Puljujarvi has the highest ceiling. He could very well be the answer, but as of now, I have no reason to go against Matt. So I'd vote him.

But Dubois imo is the clear 3rd. Columbus fans were screaming about how great he was doing at 1C, but I definitely saw him the most out of these 3, and he wasn't doing that well.

He was getting eaten alive defensively, wasn't using his big body as much as he should, and a lot of his "offense" wasn't being driven by him. His luck ran out and he point totals went bone dry. CBJ fans are so desperate for him to be their top C, that they really overrate him. He'll be a good player, but he is 3rd for this poll, because I think Puljujarvi and Tkachuk will both be 1st line wingers.
Seems like you were watching Dubinsky and not PLD and every time you heard Dubi got confused. You are literally the only person I've ever heard fan of his/the team or hate both that said he doesn' use his body... the kid wins 95% of his board battles and his best quality is his play using his big body to constantly win battles. No CBJ player is going to score 75 points or be a 40 goal scorer it's not our teams system to habe players like that. We would rather have 5 guys with 20 then 2 with 45. It' about the name on the front not on the back. He is easily 3 years development wise ahead of pool party. Between the other 2 1 has an extra year NHL experience because the CBJ were extremely deep last year and just couldn't fit PLD on the roster as to where CGY had the space to play their rookie. PLD being a C and clearly a 1C right now I'd say he's the best now and likely the future. He's going to be a 25-25 guy easy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Pulju gets a free pass because of potential but Dubois in his 1st year as a pro and playing much better while has loads of potential doesnt get a pass just because...?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Neither of them get a pass. I just think Puljujarvi potential is to be a #1 RW, where as Dubois I don't see the #1C potential as much, which would make him most likely a 2C. Just personal preference but I like Puljujarvi and Tkachuk more

Edit: Also how is he better? Puljujarvi is given way less opportunity by the coach, plays fewer minutes and is better defensively as a winger.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Seems like you were watching Dubinsky and not PLD and every time you heard Dubi got confused. You are literally the only person I've ever heard fan of his/the team or hate both that said he doesn' use his body... the kid wins 95% of his board battles and his best quality is his play using his big body to constantly win battles. No CBJ player is going to score 75 points or be a 40 goal scorer it's not our teams system to habe players like that. We would rather have 5 guys with 20 then 2 with 45. It' about the name on the front not on the back. He is easily 3 years development wise ahead of pool party. Between the other 2 1 has an extra year NHL experience because the CBJ were extremely deep last year and just couldn't fit PLD on the roster as to where CGY had the space to play their rookie. PLD being a C and clearly a 1C right now I'd say he's the best now and likely the future. He's going to be a 25-25 guy easy.
i agree with almost everything you said. He does do well grinding down low, but I don't see him hitting much, which I think he should be doing more (Puljujarvi too) but Tkachuk does it a ton.

I disagree that he is a 1C now. A 38 point pace is a 3C, not a 1C. But I do agree in the future that he'll be 25-25 guy, that's my projection too. But that is a good 2C not 1C,

I think Puljujarvi and Tkachuk have more potential

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Neither of them get a pass. I just think Puljujarvi potential is to be a #1 RW, where as Dubois I don't see the #1C potential as much, which would make him most likely a 2C. Just personal preference but I like Puljujarvi and Tkachuk more

Edit: Also how is he better? Puljujarvi has the higher PPG, is given way less opportunity by the coach, plays fewer minutes and is better defensively as a winger.

Uhhh.... Nope. Eliteprospects.com - NHL Stats 2017-2018

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tkachuk has basically been a PPG player since he got elevated to the top PP. he’s going to be a star, arguably is already

Reactions: Jtown
Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Thatchuk is already better then both these guys combined! Three years from now he's gonna be just as good as guys lik Perry and Marchand. Just a pesky and annoying power forward who can score. PLD was taken to early he's never gonna live up to his draft position like Bennett on Calgary. And pool party just doesn't seem to have the mentality to play how he should be right now. I don't think he will get much better. But he could surprise and be a decent 2nd liner.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
i agree with almost everything you said. He does do well grinding down low, but I don't see him hitting much, which I think he should be doing more (Puljujarvi too) but Tkachuk does it a ton.

I disagree that he is a 1C now. A 38 point pace is a 3C, not a 1C. But I do agree in the future that he'll be 25-25 guy, that's my projection too. But that is a good 2C not 1C,

I think Puljujarvi and Tkachuk have more potential
Thats why Dubois has more hits? Everyone will agree Tkachuk is more of a pest/ chippy but they play very different games and thats fine. Considering its Dubois' 1st pro season and went from sheltered 3rd/4th line wing to 1st line center amazingly well plus got Panarin going which was just as exciting for the team Id consider it a successful rookie season. He had an issue with being assertive but has come a long way in a short time.
But then again we were arguing a year ago Dubois wasnt a bust so i suppose arguing he has more potential then some believe is right on track.
Id go with Tkachuk-Dubois- Pulju for now but in the future it could be any one of them and it wouldnt surprise me at all

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Tkachuk
Dubois
Pulju

Tkachuk is clearly ahead but Dubois has some real nice potential and I think he ends up the best defensively although Tkachuk is a stud on D as well. Pulju has the highest potential but I’m not huge on him

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
There's nothing wrong in making this kind of predictions, but right now there are too many factors to really say who's gonna be the best in 1-3 years.

Puljujarvi is a great example of how much a top6 spot can mean in the amount of total points. Just a couple of months ago he was playing in top6, having the best /60 stats of these three players. In fact his goals/60 was in top 15 in the NHL despite having no PP time.

Now after playing in bottom6, he's a kind of a bust again. Many don't realize that his goals/60 is actually still the 3rd best of the Oilers, behind McDavid and Draisaitl, which is not bad for the circumstances (half of the season in bottom6 with ever-changing linemates, no proper PP time, being told to concentrate on the defensive side).

I read from the CBJ forum that Dubois was struggling at the start of the season when he played in the 3rd line. I wonder what his season would look like if he'd still be playing in the 3rd line with no PP time. Maybe he'd be fine by now, but I'm sure his points would look different.

So what I'm trying to say is time will tell. But I hope and believe many will be surprised when Puljujarvi is given a similar spot as Tkatchuk and Dubois.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Tkachuk will impress the most on his ELC and get the biggest contract then sort of stagnate as a good 1st liner

Dubois and Puljuajrvi will do ok, get smaller 2nd contracts and then explode Barkov/MacKinnon style once they're locked in for cheap

Just the way things go for the Flames

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Puljujärvi to me looks like he's lazy with poor work ethic and an attitude problem. The potential would have been there to become the best of the three but I doubt it's there anymore.

At this point, I think that Matthews Tkachuk ends up being the best player because not only is he already the best of the three, he also is very effective in a secondary role that has great importance even outside of scoring.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
At this point, I think that Matthews Tkachuk ends up being the best player because not only is he already the best of the three, he also is very effective in a secondary role that has great importance even outside of scoring.

Dubois is going to be a great faceoff guy and elite defensive player. His game is Toews-like. Very much so.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to go against the grain here and say Dubois ends up the best.
He's been slower to develop than Tkachuk but I've watched him play recently and think he will be the better all round player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad