pictures of the press conference room for an announcement that never happened

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by deathbear, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathbear

deathbear Registered User

Home Page:
    back when we all heard that a deal had been reached, and that the champagne was already uncorked and what not, apparently a room was already cabled up and ready for the big announcement.

out of morbid curiousity, i'm curious if any of you ever saw pictures of this, and if so, could you post them here?

thanks

2. Drury_Sakic

Drury_Sakic Registered User

Home Page:
  3. nyrmessier011

nyrmessier011 Registered User

my theory is that was all BULL****. Just like when Bettman said he had two speeches ready to go, one talking about rule changes. There were no rule changes prepared, the league had never discussed them amoungst themselves. The NHL never ever ever ever ever intended on there being one puck drop for 2004-2005 and whoever thinks they wanted a season is a fool.

4. xtra

xtra Registered User

Home Page:
    no i can confirm that CBC did have pics (video footage) of inside the doomed room. and it was on their website so you might be able to find it still.

5. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

Link?

6. chiavsfan

chiavsfan Registered User

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Seems to me, and I hope my memory serves me correctly, that the NHL was set to accept an offer by the PA, on a cap idea they THOUGH was coming...only to get smeared in a Saturday meeting, in which the PA didn't want to talk about the numbers. They came out of the meeting smearing the leagues 2 most notable players, and went on with another "untiy" diatribe, while some player questioned (and were not heard from again) the PA decision not to talk about the cap.

PA people get more delusional by the day, and now with the WHA demise, the PA is out of options. They are currently fighting for a deal that was worse than anything the could have gotten last year, and are still *****ing and moaning.

7. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

I don't believe anyone needs to link their theory...sadly...

8. Shadder

Shadder Registered User

Yeah, I can second that as I saw them also. As I recall it was just a short clip, panning around the room then a closeup shot of the head table with the stuff on it ready to go.

9. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

Your right.. missed the theory verbiage.. my fault..

Last edited by moderator : Apr 26, 2005
  10. Weary

Weary Registered User

Hmmmm....Gretky said the union was ready to talk about the cap -- they just wanted to reach agreement on the ancillary issues first. That doesn't jibe with "the PA didn't want to talk about the numbers." Perhaps labeling others as "delusional" isn't a great idea.

11. Boltsfan2029

Boltsfan2029 Registered User

Paralegal
    LOL, “agreement†would be a stretch. My understanding is they pretty much walked in said, “Give us this, this, this and this and *then* we’ll talk about the cap number.†Just a demand that their terms would have to be entirely met before they’d even consider negotiation on the cap issue.

As for Gretzky, the articles I read said he was taken by surprise at the union’s actions and that he and Lemieux were both pretty embarrassed and upset by them.

12. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

this is, at best, greatly simplifying the issue. It was made well known after the fact that the PA had big issues with the NHLs stance on things like arbitration going into that meeting and that those things were the stumbling block

honestly people, it's not all just about the $$ amount of the cap. these other things are huge issues too

and this is different from how the NHL has conducted itself through all of this?

you also seem to be stretching things here and attributing emotions and feelings to gretzky and lemieux that weren't necessarily how they were feeling. maybe I'm wrong, but the articles I remember had more to do with Gretzky being somewhat confused and upset about the situation in general rather than upset at the PA and embarassed...and in great journalistic fashion, the headlines on the articles ascribed emotions to him that colored the overall tone of the article. However I could be wrong on that and would have to check the articles again

13. Finkle is Einhorn

Finkle is Einhorn Registered User

Home Page:
    I seem to recall a picture of champagne set out at the head table in a conference room, but of course that picture could have been some stock photo that CBC used.

14. Boltsfan2029

Paralegal
    It was different because the PA was misleading in what the meeting was to be from the get-go.

15. I remember the picture on the CBC website as well, there was also talk about the NHL borrowing CBC's satellite truck.

I don't know what the NHL was thinking really, they set up the meeting. They lost the PR war, then gary the bum tried turn it around and make it seem like they were "tricked".

16. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

mmm... i love fresh bias brewing in the morning

17. chiavsfan

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    Last I checked on the PR war, it was about 75-25 (percent) in favor of the Owners side...but believe what you want.

As for the CBC truck, and the meeting. Yes, the meeting was set up by the NHL, at the request of players who specifically wanted Mario and Wayne in the meeting.

18. Weary

Weary Registered User

Here's what Gretzky said:
    I took Trevor and Vincent aside and asked how they thought we could bridge the gap between $42.5 million and $49 million to make it work. They told me they weren't prepared to talk about a hard cap number until the other issues like arbitration, qualifiers and entry level were done.

Doesn't sound like they were demanding anything. Sounds like they were ready to negotiate those issues.

19. Weary

Weary Registered User

The meeting was set up by the NHL of their own volition after they heard from "a premiere player" that the union's stance was softening. It was Linden, not the aforementioned player, who asked that Gretzky and Lemieux attend.

20. Boltsfan2029

Paralegal
    Gotta say, everything I heard is polar opposite. My understanding was that after the cancellation of the season, the PA contacted the league and asked for the meeting, and asked that Gretzky & Lemieux attend. I also heard a far different version of how congenial the, em, request to negotiate other issues prior to consenting to discuss the cap, than your quote above. Very interesting.

21. Tawnos

Tawnos A guy with a bass

The league thought that the PA was coming in with a proposal and the PA was coming in with a proposal. Neither is at fault and neither isn't at fault.

22. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    Right. The NHL collectively woke up one day last summer and all thought to themselves "I know, let's all shoot ourselves in the HEAD! I don't have enough challenges in life, my team barely scrapes by right now, let's add some *REAL* challenge! I think we should turn a $2 billion dollar business into a $1.5 billion dollar smoking remnant!".

Geezus. Now I know why so many idiots think they see Elvis at the 7-11. :banghead:

23. chiavsfan

Radio News Director
    Home Page:
    I saw him on the strip a few times on my honeymoon, even saw a black, a mexican, and an asian elvis...he apparently is a shapeshifter now.

...wait...

I was just told those were impersonators! How cruel!!!

24. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

HFBoards has been enlightened... THE VOICE OF REASON! :sarcasm:

25. deathbear

deathbear Registered User

Home Page:
    so no pictures then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.