Picking up the puck

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I can't really find anyone to explain it to me, so maybe I'd try here. I really want to work on picking up the puck on my blade so I can flip it, somewhat like the Crosby move or the moves you'll see in some skills competition videos. Where the player will get down low, with the blade face down flat on the ice, then swoop the puck up and do a 180 to throw it at the net. I can't figure out for the life of me how to start to try this. Anyone that can try and explain? :bow:

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
It mostly just takes practice but heres some advice.

If you are just starting it make sure you have new tape on your blade as that will make it easier to do. If you are a righty place the puck in front of you and a little to the right. They key is getting your stick as low to the ground as possible. Cup the puck near the heel of your blade, and in a quick smooth motion you need to pull towards you roll your wrists quickly to pick up the puck. Try it on the backhand as well, I found it easier when I started to pick the puck up backhand michigan style first. Like anything in hockey though, its all about practice.

Yertle The Turtle

Apr 14, 2004
Millville, NJ
www.bluelinehockey.net
yeah man, Practice Practice Practice. Also I find a new tape job and wax will help like PittHockey said. You have to get Low on the puck and unlike some people I like to use the toe of my blade. Press down with the front of the toe on the side of the puck so that it is leaning on your blade... One fast motion and turn your body and youve got it... Figure out the Michigan first... then try the 180.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
flyerfreak941 said:
yeah man, Practice Practice Practice. Also I find a new tape job and wax will help like PittHockey said. You have to get Low on the puck and unlike some people I like to use the toe of my blade. Press down with the front of the toe on the side of the puck so that it is leaning on your blade... One fast motion and turn your body and youve got it... Figure out the Michigan first... then try the 180.
Yeah I like doing the 180 and flinging the puck at the goalie. Most people go for the slam dunk.

Like the others have said it just takes some practice and isn't that hard at all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
flyerfreak941 said:
Press down with the front of the toe on the side of the puck so that it is leaning on your blade... One fast motion and turn your body and youve got it

This isn't the best way to pick it up, not knocking what you said though.

I started trying to pick the puck up after I saw Mike Leggs do the move 8 or 9 years ago...and I kept thinking you had to tip it onto your stick like you said. I wasted a month or so doing that, until my friend showed me the correct way to do it.

All you have to do is lay the middle part of your blade against the puck..then push down, and in one quick motion pull the puck towards you and up.

Tape really doesn't matter..as I have done it without any on my stick. Inertia will keep it on your blade if you learn how to do the motion quickly.

I barely even put my stick on the puck now and can scoop it up without really trying. Once you learn the motion, it is pretty easy.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

I started trying to pick the puck up after I saw Mike Leggs do the move 8 or 9 years ago...and I kept thinking you had to tip it onto your stick like you said. I wasted a month or so doing that, until my friend showed me the correct way to do it.

All you have to do is lay the middle part of your blade against the puck..then push down, and in one quick motion pull the puck towards you and up.

Tape really doesn't matter..as I have done it without any on my stick. Inertia will keep it on your blade if you learn how to do the motion quickly.

I barely even put my stick on the puck now and can scoop it up without really trying. Once you learn the motion, it is pretty easy.
Good call. I've never tried tipping it but the "Inertia Pick Up", once you get it down, can be done in motion.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Grave77digger said:
I should be doing this in a matter of weeks :biglaugh:

Exactly. When I go outside to shoot pucks and get bored, I try some of these crazy shots. I mostly get the stick between my legs and bruise my thighs up when I fall. So far I haven't learned anything. That doesn't stop me from trying, though.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

Yeah thats exactly how I do it...the flipping doesn't work so well...

I've tried my best to come up with a drawing to show it...But hopefully this explains it a little bit better...lol try to ignore my lack of artistic talent, I'm just trying to give somewhat of a visual...

Yertle The Turtle

Apr 14, 2004
Millville, NJ
www.bluelinehockey.net
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:

I dunno... Ive tryed it that way I just dont like the way it feels... but who knows maybe I am doing it wrong... haha

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Thanks guys for the replies. I was trying it a bit (frustrating) at my last pickup game and managed to get it on my stick a few times. Just was so aggressive picking it up that it would fly off lofting it in the air. So I'm going to work on it more, just for fun. Something different!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Grave77digger said:
Im assuming you have to practice this on ice, other wise it wont work??

It is really easy to pick up on ice because there is no friction...so you barely have to put any pressure on top of the puck to pick it up.

I was playing pick up roller the other day and when we where picking teams my buddy had a Jofa speed puck he was messing with.

He asked if I could pick it up like I do on the ice (I never tried it with one of these pucks).

After about 3-4 failed attempts, I was able to do it. Just alot more friction without the ice, so it isn't as easy. So it is possible, just have to apply more pressure or the puck will drag on the concrete.

Steve Gatzos*

if yuur asking about PICKUP HOCKEY MY FRIEnds and i play it every week maybe every day EVEN

-O'Connor

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
Here's how I do it:

1.) The puck sits out in front and to the right of me.
2.) I lay the blade nearly flat with the toe putting pressure on the puck.
3.) In that position, I pull the puck back while maintaining pressure but not straight to me, but more in a curved path as if I was doing a toe drag.
4.) While pulling the puck back, about halfway you should flip your wrists.
5.) Hopefully the puck is lying on your blade.

Pretty easy after you get the hang of it.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Practice things you will actually do in a game, like saucer passes, shooting accuracy, toe drags, stick handling without looking at the puck. Practice tricks will do nothing for you in a game.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Sean Skinner goes in depth in his stickhandling series. Really recommend it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's not hard just takes a lot of practice. When I would get bored at practice I started doing it as a goalie. I doubt I could still do it these days with my goalie stuff though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad