OT: Pick Up Street Hockey

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Since it's summer, I thought some of us might need a hockey fix. My buddies and I have been playing pickup street hockey on weekend mornings for the last 3 years in Glen Oaks, Queens. We've had a couple guys move away, and we're looking for some more people who might be interested because we've had trouble getting the numbers to have games lately. We're all in our 20's and 30's and at many varying levels of skill, we've even had guys into their 60's play. If you're interested shoot me a PM or check out the link below. Thanks!

http://liqstreethockey.blogspot.com/

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Dek hockey :(

Would take the drive out if it were roller hockey.

Yeah, sorry about that. We've tried to do roller but there's only a few of us that can skate. That being said, there's a group of guys that play roller in Queens, if you search George Harvey Park Roller Hockey on Facebook you should be able to find their group :)

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Since it's summer, I thought some of us might need a hockey fix. My buddies and I have been playing pickup street hockey on weekend mornings for the last 3 years in Glen Oaks, Queens. We've had a couple guys move away, and we're looking for some more people who might be interested because we've had trouble getting the numbers to have games lately. We're all in our 20's and 30's and at many varying levels of skill, we've even had guys into their 60's play. If you're interested shoot me a PM or check out the link below. Thanks!

http://liqstreethockey.blogspot.com/

Sadly, this means nothing to you, but if it's any sort of solace, I would definitely be in if I still lived in the New York area. I've long been arguing that street hockey is a closer simulation to ice hockey then roller hockey is. Roller hockey is a lot of circling, but street hockey had the quick stops and starts that ice hockey had, and it's also better for conditioning.

Good luck, my friend. I hope you and your guys can work it out!

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Sadly, this means nothing to you, but if it's any sort of solace, I would definitely be in if I still lived in the New York area. I've long been arguing that street hockey is a closer simulation to ice hockey then roller hockey is. Roller hockey is a lot of circling, but street hockey had the quick stops and starts that ice hockey had, and it's also better for conditioning.

Good luck, my friend. I hope you and your guys can work it out!

It's definitely closer to ice hockey. The ONLY difference is lack of checking and skates obviously. But, technically, it plays a lot more like ice, like you said.

camaro27

Sep 16, 2011
are you guys using a puck or ball... i am in holbrook out east its a long drive for me..love to play as long as there is a spot.. thanks for the info

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I remember sticking the tape in the freezer the night before any game.

Whoa! That's a great idea! Too bad there was no Internet 35 years ago. We always used a ball (tennis or hockey, whichever was available at the time) or one of those orange pucks that never stayed flat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad