Confirmed with Link: [PHX/WSH] Erat & JMitchell for Klesla, Brown & 4th '15

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Is it wrong that I'm imagining scenarios where he goes to Phoenix and gets benched again?

I could see him relegated to a 3rd line role, but our luck he'l find his scoring touch again.

The more I watched him the more I thought he was just at that point where he started falling off, I'm not sure he'll score much more but he's got a solid pass to get assists. Unless he throws a fit at being a grindy top end 3rd liner, I don't think he'll have any issues in Phoenix as much as I wish he would.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
is klesla really that bad? i thought phoenix was just stacked at defense.

Klesla is great if he gets back to being what he was. He had a concussion in pre-season and hasn't been himself since. I think this trade has potential to work out well for both teams. Good luck.

Halpysback*

The two guys I wanted throughout the year added at the deadline.

stormtrooper-pelvic-thrust-o.gif

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
He's not bad. He's a RW, though, and it's crowded enough as it is. Better than Volpatti and someone that can play a physical bottom six game.

@JChaimo: Chris Brown: 14-21-35 in 51 games for Portland this year. Led all @TheAHL rookies with 29 goals last season. #Capitals

So IINM this allows them to take on roughly a net $1.9M cap hit should they not be done.

Worst case, he's a decent prospect who can be flipped for another decent prospect.

Meh. Brown sounds a bit interesting. Caps have what, @ $3 mil in cap space now?

Ed - I'm way off. @ $1.8, according to the geek of caps.

It's the new CBA. Contracts in the AHL count toward the cap after the first 900k. The "Redden Rule".

Current RW in Hershey are Segal, Wellman (also plays C), Rechlicz, Gazely, and Galiev

I keep seeing Gazley's name come up in my "live tweet" feed during games. He would appear to be playing pretty well. Is that trueish?

Assuming that CapGeek is correct, we would actually be able to fit Halak in under the cap if Neuvy went the other way. With Kuznetsov signed at 900k we would be left with 92,251$ worth of cap space.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($2.000m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m)
Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($3.000m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Marcus Johansson ($2.000m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Eric Fehr ($1.500m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Tom Wilson ($0.894m)
Jay Beagle ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Mike Green ($6.083m)
Dmitry Orlov ($0.690m) / John Erskine ($1.963m)
GOALTENDERS
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
Jaroslav Halak ($3.750m)
BUYOUTS
Jeff Schultz ($0.000m)
LTIR
Jack Hillen ($0.700m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-03-04)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $610,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $92,251

As some have pointed out, Hillen is off LTIR now, using the money from Klesla being in the AHL. I think that's it as far as deals, unless McPhee can pull off something salary neutral or dump some more cap tomorrow.

I'm surprised we gave up Brown. I liked him. Good luck.

He was the centerpiece of the trade from our perspective.

My fav part of the trade is by far the 4th round pick. Very valuable commodity it seems nowadays.

Regrettably, it's a 2015 4th, whereas it's the 2014 4ths that have been used as bitcoins so far.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Sergey Kocharov ‏@SergeyKocharov 43s
Very excited about Chris Brown. Tremendous prospect. Was with Phx when team drafted him. 29 Gs last yr in his rookie yr with Portland (AHL)

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 1m
Interesting that both Klesla and Brown will report to Hershey. #Caps

Not exactly sure what she means by that...

I'm not familiar with how valid she is as a source but Klesla has been in the AHL since January.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have to say I am surprised Erat generated a significant return. A LD that could be key in a cup run, and staying on GMs recent theme, added a big body that will drop the mits.

Wow, what a train wreck of a trade Erat was. Good job by George to cut his losses and make the best of it.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I have to say I am surprised Erat generated a significant return. A LD that could be key in a cup run, and staying on GMs recent theme, added a big body that will drop the mits.

He didn't. He returned a defenseman making $2.9 million who passed through waivers and is currently playing in the AHL, a 2nd and a 4th. Klesla is negative return and the futures are what they are.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He didn't. He returned a defenseman making $2.9 million who passed through waivers and is currently playing in the AHL, a 2nd and a 4th. Klesla is negative return and the futures are what they are.

Solid prospect, 4th and ~4-5m cap space for next season was more than i could have hoped for him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Just moving Rat without having to pay someone to take him, made moving Erat a win in my book. Getting a proven NHL LD stuck in the AHL / rental after a concussion but ready to pinch hit in his annual punchers chance at a cup, AND a prospect in Brown, is gravy.

Completely random prediction, I will say Klesla helps us more than Erat did.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Just moving Rat without having to pay someone to take him, made moving Erat a win in my book. Getting a proven NHL LD stuck in the AHL / rental after a concussion but ready to pinch hit in his annual punchers chance at a cup, AND a prospect in Brown, is gravy.

Completely random prediction, I will say Klesla helps us more than Erat did.

That's completely different from saying he returned something significant.

His return was that he went away. Great job Caps management.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
well, i'm really not happy with Klesla coming up to us. He's not much better than Orlov/Erskine/Hillen/Urbom/etc. 2LD carousel still turning around the circle.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Klesla clearing waivers recently, did they actually get cap relief?

If not, maybe they needed a roster slot.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
i guess having Latta, Brown, and a 4th to show for Erat is better then losing him for nothing like so many others.

that said a 4th and a B prospect is about what GM should have paid last year for Erat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->